In 1876 a number of Free Methodists who had been holding services in the newly-erected Public Hall, decided to build a chapel to accommodate their increasing numbers.

Foremost among the men who undertook this pioneer work were John Coxon, Enoch and Job James, Joseph Randle, Isaiah Merrick, John Mattley, Isaac Stevens, Samuel Hooton, James Tyler, and John Lindley.

The land was bought in Peveril Street (when the Glebe was being sold) for £105, and a chapel with vestries was built by Messrs. Munks and Richer at a cost of £698, and the edifice, when opened in 1877, provided for 330 worshippers.

There are now 72 members on the roll, and 200 scholars attend the Sunday school.


Congregational church.

In the year 1867 a Congregational Mission was founded, and in the following year a corrugated iron chapel was erected on a site bought from Mr. John Allcock, by the side of the Portland Road, at a cost of £360.

The tenancy of the little framesmith's shop in Whyburn Street, which had been used as a mission room, was given up, and the vigorous little society found the "Iron Chapel" (as it was called) a very useful place indeed; it was for some years the only place of worship in the rapidly increasing Butler's Hill district.

The Society was fostered by the Nottingham Congregational Institute and Addison Street Church, and members and Sunday scholars increased in numbers.

On July 21st, 1879, the late Mr. Samuel Morley, M.P., laid the memorial stone of the present structure, which occupies the site of the iron chapel, and which was erected at a cost of £1,350.

The Rev. W. R. Barron became the first resident pastor in the year 1882, and was followed by the Rev. A. J. Naylor, during whose pastorate a manse was built and further church and school extension was rendered necessary by increased congregations and scholars.

This enlargement was effected in the year 1893 at a cost of £1,473.

Mr. Naylor was called to minister at Hexham in 1896, and was succeeded at Hucknall by the Rev. Lorenzo M. Abbott who, after five years' ministry was compelled to retire by enfeebled health in 1902.

The Rev. J. Frankland was called to the pastorate in 1904, and he still ministers to the church. There are 154 members on the roll, and 225 Sunday scholars.

The Portland Road Church started mission services in a house at the corner of Claremont Street, Hazel Grove, which were continued for more than a year when the little congregation removed to the new chapel, built and furnished at a cost of nearly £600 at the end of 1894. The mission is now ministered to by Mr. M. Chadburn, a Nottingham lace manufacturer, whose work is purely a labour of love, as he accepts no pay. It is noteworthy that Mr. H. Nuttall has been the treasurer from the start of the mission, and Mr. F. Tilley, the secretary, was the first member enrolled.

A review of Hucknall Congregationalism would be incomplete without a reference to the self-denying labours and help given for over 40 years to the cause by Mr. Joseph A. Munks.


The Holy Cross Mission was founded in 1878 by the Rev. Father Hooker, who secured a room in Whyburn Street for worship. Members increased, and in 1886 a block of schools was built on Carlingford Road, on land given by Mr. and Mrs. Hanlon for the purpose. The school building cost about £500, which was mainly contributed by Major Worswick and family, who were interested in the neighbouring collieries at Annesley. The Church of the Holy Gross and the Presbytery attached were built shortly afterwards, at a cost of £1,500, on land given by Mr. and Mrs. Hanlon. Fathers J. R. Macdonnel, Macauley, O'Hagan, and O'Reilly have consecutively had oversight of the church. The interior of the fabric has been much beautified, and in 1906 a mortuary chapel was erected for the Hanlon family, the first interment being made in that year, when the body of Mr. Hanlon was laid to rest there. The living church has been progressive from its foundation.


St. John's church.

As the neighbouring collieries were developed the population of Hucknall gradually centred itself mainly in three districts— Annesley Road, Watnall Road, and Butler's Hill. Places of worship were soon built in each of these districts, and Churchpeople dwelling at the southern end of the town early evinced a desire to have a fane nearer than the Parish Church, which was more than a mile distant from their homes.

In 1876 there was a population of 2,100 at Butler's Hill, and the Rev. H. C. Hicks came in that year, and began his work by conducting services in a framesmith's shop (now a band:room) in Whyburn Street.

In 1877 a church costing about £1,000, and seating 200 people, was built on an acre of land given by the Duke of Portland. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Wordsworth of Lincoln.

In 1878 Mr. Hicks was drowned in the North Sea off Alnwick, and a block of Sunday Schools, costing £500, was erected to his memory.

In 1892 a parsonage house was built on the church acre at a cost of £640.

In 1895 a Chancel was added to the Church fabric, and an organ installed, at a cost of £950.


St Peter's church.

A mission was started in 1889 in the newly-created outlying hamlet of Hazel Grove. At first services were hold in a cottage there, and a Sunday School established.

In 1892 a brick church was built (on land by the side of Watnall Road given by the Misses Jackson) at a cost of £670. The Rev. Charles Blanchard was curate in charge at that time.

The church prospered, and a schoolroom and vestry were added.


General Booth, the founder of this religious organisation, visited Hucknall in 1849, when he was a Methodist local preacher. He addressed about 120 navvies, who were then engaged in constructing the Midland Railway from Nottingham to Mansfield. He again visited the parish in August, 1909, as General of the Salvation Army.

The first beginnings of the Army at Hucknall evinced themselves in meetings organised by the newly-formed Bulwell Corps, who paid a series of visits to Hucknall at the end of 1879, and it was on February 7th, 1880, when Captain Dexter came to lead a branch of the Army in this parish. She was welcomed by a crowded congregation at the Methodist Old Chapel, on Annesley Road, where occasional Army services were held. Meetings were then transferred to a room in Howis's Yard, thence in succession to Hardy's factory in Truman Street, the old Wesleyan Chapel, and the Public Hall room.

In 1884 the Army bought the old Baptist Chapel in Gilbert Street for about £300, and this has been the headquarters ever since. A commodious site for new Barracks has recently been purchased in High Street.

Reference has already been made to the secession of the Gospel Missioners (now called Wesleyan Reformers), otherwise the history of the Corps has been one of persistent effort of working people seeking to do good.

THE CHURCH OF CHRIST AND SPIRITUALISTS have also in recent years established societies in the parish.