HENRY DE STAUNTON, (died 1327 (?)) Chief Justice of the King's Bench. The "Annals of Notts," (p. 199) quotes Lord Campbell as saying of this extraordinary man, "who filled a greater variety of judicial offices than any lawyer I read of in the annals of Westminster Hall." A younger son of one of the very old Staunton family, he had not the advantage of an University education, but imbibed a strong passion for the law, and so was placed in one of the Inns of Court. By studying closely he "served his apprenticeship" with credit, and became a Sergeant, with a large practice in all the Courts. He was made a judge of Common Pleas (1306-15) and became a Baron of the Exchequer, then its Chancellor, Chief Justice of the King's Bench, Chief Justice of the Common Pleas, and finally Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer, which office he held until his decease, when he left his fortune to Cambridge University. According to a curious rhyming pedigree preserved by Thoroton, he was the "founder of Saint Michael's house in Cambridge Town," which had been erected by him in 1324. "It is now incorporated into Trinity College. He was buried in St. Michael's Church, Cambridge."

He converted the disadvantage of being born a younger son into a lever, whereby he raised and fitted himself for a sphere higher than that of the family inheritor. He obtained an extended knowledge, and in obtaining it, formed such habits as fitted him for any position, and the benefits he received were doubled by service, grants, and bequests.

SIR WILLIAM BABINGTON, (about 1356-1455), son of Sir John Babington of East Bridgford, devoted himself to the study of the law, and in 1414 was made King's Attorney, then Chief Baron of the Exchequer, and afterwards Chief Justice of the Common Pleas and later of the Exchequer. He retired from the Bench in 1436, and afterwards became a Privy Councillor. Through marriage he obtained the Chilwell estate, and lived in the old manor house which stood on the Southern side of the main road, the garden wall of which still remains. In private life he was much esteemed, for he was a man of "godly life and conversation." He died at ninety-nine years of age, and was buried in the church of the Holy Trinity—Lenton Priory. He founded a chantry at St. Peter's Church, Thurgarton, and bequests to various churches.

Margaret, his wife, was the daughter of Sir Peter Martell, of Chilwell. She died in 1442, and was buried in Flawforth Church, where her husband contemplated establishing a chantry, and towards which she gave six hundred marcs.

WILLIAM BABINGTON, Esq., son of the foregoing, about 1460 completed the foundation of a chantry in Flawforth Church, and endowed it with lands, in various parishes, including fifty-six acres in Lenton. A college of chantry priests was attempted, and one was to serve at the manor of Chilwell with ministrations, and profits were to be used "for the maintaining and furtherance of the King's business." (Thompson, 105). Flawforth Church was pulled down in 1779, and three alabaster figures that were found under where the high altar stood are in Nottingham Castle Museum.

HENEAGE FINCH, first Earl of Nottingham, (1621-1682), successively Solicitor General, Attorney General, Lord-Keeper of the Great Seal and Lord Chancellor, "was one of our greatest Equity judges, a constitutional lawyer of the highest repute, well versed in the laws." He had no connection with Nottingham except his title.

The first EARL OF MANSFIELD was William Murray, (1705-1793), who was Solicitor-General in 1742, then Attorney-General, followed by being Lord Chief Justice, and elevated to the peerage in 1776. He does not appear to have had any connection with the County except his title.

CHARLES MELLISH, (1717-1797), of Hodsock, was the eldest son of William Mellish, Esq., M.P. He was a Barrister-at-law of Lincoln's Inn, and became Recorder of Newark in 1770, and in 1778, on his return from travelling abroad, he repaired and ornamented Beaumond Cross in Newark. He was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Antiquarians, and he collected at Hodsock a considerable number of documents, books, and objects of antiquarian interest, especially derived from the evidences of the ancient family of Staunton.

SIR RICHARD HERON, (1726-1805), was the youngest son of Robert Heron, who in 1753 was Recorder of Newark, and whose son John had been Recorder before him, and whose son Thomas was Recorder after him. When about twenty years of age Richard was Secretary to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, and later was made a Commissioner in Bankruptcy, followed in succession by being Lord Treasurer's Remembrancer in the Court of Exchequer, and such was the confidence reposed in him that he became a member of the Privy Council, and in 1778 was created a baronet, and was given an office at Cork.

Lord Denman

THOMAS, LORD DENMAN, (1779-1854), Lord Chief Justice, was descended from an old family long resident in North Nottinghamshire, and which has still representatives there in prominent positions. Thomas Denman then residing in the decayed village of Bevercotes was regarded as a head, one branch of the family settling in Derbyshire, from which Thomas descended. His father was a physician. He went to Eton, and graduated at Cambridge; studied law, was called to the bar at Lincoln's Inn, and joined the Midland circuit, becoming Deputy Recorder for Nottingham. On the trial for treason of Jeremiah Brandreth and the "Pentrich Rising" men, in 1817, which occupied ten days, Mr. Denman made a powerful speech for the prisoners, described as "eloquent, brilliant, and pathetic," and he remitted his fee. He became highly popular, and in 1820 was elected M.P. for Nottingham, and again ten years later. He was, with Lord Brougham, advocate for Queen Caroline; he was appointed Attorney-General, and in 1832 Lord Chief Justice.

In his earlier days he struggled with financial difficulties, for he had a large family. One of his daughters became the wife of Mr. Ichabod Charles Wright, of Mapperley Hall. He sought with great persistency to abolish negro slavery, and to secure reforms in the law and politically.

A long street in Radford was named in his honour.

RICHARD WILDMAN, Esq., (d. 1881), was Recorder of Nottingham for forty-four years, and Judge of the County Court for thirty-four years. He was imperious but just. His decisions or judgments were promptly arrived at and announced, and no reasons were ever stated.

SIR EDMUND BECKETT, BARON GRIMTHORPE, (1816-1905), was born at Carlton Hall, Nottinghamshire, educated at Cambridge, graduated M.A., and LL.D., and in 1841 was called to the Bar of Lincoln's Inn, and was made Q.C. On succeeding his father as Baronet (1874) he dropped the name of Denison, and was later appointed Chancellor of York. He had a large practice as a barrister, but he took considerable interest in the construction of clocks, bells, etc., and in ecclesiastical architecture, wrote extensively on the subjects, presided over societies charged with their advancement, and was consulted by the Government as an authority. The "Big Ben" bell in the Westminster Clock Tower, weighing thirteen and a half tons, was cast under his direction, he then (1858) being E. Beckett Denison. St. Albans Cathedral received his special attention. It had fallen into a deplorable condition, and he rebuilt, restored, designed, added, altered, largely at his own cost, some of the work being severely criticised.

He was raised to the peerage in 1886.

Samuel B Bristowe

SAMUEL B. BRISTOWE, (1822-97), was the eldest son of S. E. Bristowe, of Beesthorpe, of an old Nottinghamshire family. He was M.A. of Cambridge., Barrister-at-law (1848), Q.C., Recorder, and then M.P. for Newark (1870-80), then Judge of County Courts of Nottinghamshire. In 1889 he was shot by Edward Arnemann, a disappointed litigant, a morose German, who resented a verdict given, and as the Judge was leaving by train the miscreant filled, the bullet could not be extracted, and at the Assizes the prisoner was convicted and sentenced to 20 years' penal servitude, and hanged himself in his cell. The Judge recovered, but could not stand the strain of travelling in the circuit, and so removed to Lambeth Court. As a Judge he was anxious to get at the facts, was just, and high minded.

JOHN ALFRED HENDERSON GREEN, (1861-1919), was a Solicitor, but he was more, being a member of the City Council for sixteen years without a contest, rendering active service on five of the Committees; Sheriff in 1891, and in 1907 Mayor, and an Alderman; after which on the death of Sir Samuel George Johnson he became Town Clerk. This latter office he resigned on a conscientious ground; and therefore he preferred to return to ordinary civil and professional life. From 1886, and for ten years, he was Hon. Secretary of the Mechanics' Institution. He was President of the Nottingham Incorporated Law Society, 1905. He served as a member of the Diocesan Council, and of the Council of the University College. He had a Commission in the Robin Hood Rifles, and retired with the rank of Captain. He was the County Commissioner for the Red Cross Society, and for the Boy Scouts, in which capacity he rendered very active service. When the Great Central Railway was constructed, and the Victoria Station was built, he presided as Under Sheriff in the compensation cases, and distinguished himself for his grasp of the merits of the cases, and for his marked impartiality and fairness. For thirty-three years he was connected with the building and worship of St. Catherine's Church. He was a man of definite religious convictions, acting from high conscientious motives, and devoting his life to God and the people. In the Great War he was Chairman of the Munitions Tribunal, and did much other important work, to which he became a martyr for the welfare of his country. In recognition of his services he was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire. He died in 1919, aged fifty-seven.

There was a very large assembly of public men at the funeral service. The Bishop of Southwell gave a pathetic and highly spiritual address. It was touching to see the coffin borne by Boy Scouts, who showed their reverence to the memory of the deceased. It is said that over four hundred letters and telegrams of sympathy were received by the widow.

SIR EDWARD H. FRASER, (1851-1921), D.C.L., J.P., was a notable solicitor, who distinguished himself by his public service. He commenced practice at twenty-one, became first Secretary of the Nottingham Incorporated Law Society, and in 1892 its President. He was a member of the Council of the National Incorporated Law Society. He was elected to the Board of Guardians in 1873, and three years later to the Town Council. He was Sheriff in 1884, and Mayor three years in succession, 1896-9, and he held office again in 1910-11. When the Church Congress met in 1897, he being Mayor, gave a civic welcome, and the Archbishop of Canterbury conferred on him the honour of D.C.L., and he was knighted in 1908. He was Chairman of the Corporation Finances thirteen years, Chairman of the Derwent Water Board, Governor of Nottingham University College, and Director of various commercial companies, and had charge of the finances of the Nottingham High School.

The Freedom of the City of Nottingham was presented to him, and his portrait hung in the Guildhall. He was the first Chairman of the Nottingham branch of the Church of England Men's Society. He was remarkable for his sound judgment, calm reasonableness and spirit of fairness, and of helpfulness to the poor.

Sir R. Willoughby, Robert de Lexington, John de Lexington, Sir John Markham, Sir John Markham, T. Manners-Sutton, The Enfields.

See in "Families," and "Public Officials."


H. Cartwright, W. Cartwright, J. Denison, T. Scrope, R. Sutton, J. Markham, J. Markham, T. Parkyns, The Pierreponts,

See in "Families," "Statesmen," and elsewhere.

WILLIAM ELAND, in 1330, lived at the manor of Algarthorpe, in the parish of Basford, and was the deputy constable of Nottingham Castle, and kept the keys of the Castle gates. Queen Isabella, who was believed to have aided the murder of her husband Edward II, was now living an immoral life with Roger Mortimer, Earl of March, and they had seized and kept the power of national administration after King Edward III. came of age, and the Queen had required Eland to give her the keys, with which she locked the gates and put the keys under her pillow. The young King and some of his nobles met at Eland's house, and he told them of a secret passage in the Castle rock, ascending to the top, by which he led them, and Mortimer was seized by the King, and sent off to execution. Eland was thereupon made governor or constable of the Castle, and also had for life the bailwick of the Honour of Peverel. The governorship he held for fourteen years. He was elected Knight of the Shire in 1336.

SIR SAMPSON de STRELLEY, (d. 1390), and his wife, have a fine alabaster tomb in the exceedingly interesting Church of All Saints, at Strelley, with its excellently preserved fifteenth century screen. He appears to have been the builder of the church in its present form, and in 1356 he and his parishioners had license that for a year they might hear sermons "in the chappel situate within his manor of the said village because the parish church was not then fully built." (Thoroton, and G. Fellows' "Alabaster," where a view of the tomb is given).

RICHARD de STRELLEY, (d. 1388), was the son of Sampson de Strelley, and was founder of the Woodborough branch of the Strelley family. He built the present chancel of Woodborough Church, with its charming East window and graceful tracery, a perfect specimen of the Decorated Style of architecture. He filled all the windows with stained glass, and there was a screen of carved oak. (See "History of Woodborough," by Rev. W. E. Buckland, p. 14). "Thus father and son were at the same time building churches." He, in 1331, represented the County in Parliament.

JOHN BARTON, of Holme by Newark, Merchant of the Staple of Calais, whose will, dated 14 December, 1490, was proved at Scrooby and Calais in 1491, and is now preserved in Nottingham Castle Museum, in Holme (Thoroton says) built a fair house, and put in the windows "this posie,"

"I thank God, and ever shall,
It is the shepe hath payed forall."

The "posie" quoted by Thoroton was also built into the fabric of the stables. He also built "a fair chapel, like a parish church," "which is (says Mr. T. M. Blagg in a paper read before the Thoroton Society in 1905) obviously the South aisle of the present chancel," which, with the whole of the chancel, South aisle of the nave, the porch and its parvise, testify to Barton's piety and munificence. His son Ralph was directed to find a fit priest to celebrate divine service for the salvation of his soul. The church is very quaint, and there is a room over the porch. Previous to about 1576, the Trent here ran on the other side of the church.

RICHARD WHALLAYE, (1499 (?)-1583), who resided at Kirketon Hall, which stood at the East end of Screveton Church, in which church there is a beautiful Norman font of about 1170. In that same church is the alabaster tomb of "Richard Whallaye esquire," with his effigy in armour, and on the panels of the tomb are shown his three wives kneeling, with their children behind them, and there were no less than twenty-five children; who must have been not only a national asset, but also a comfort to their father, for he lived to the age of eighty-four, which in those days was regarded as remarkable. The hall was demolished about 1823, but the big trees round the field long told of a former residence.

He appears to have sought and obtained government employment under Henry VIII, especially in connection with the dissolved monasteries. He assisted in the valuation of the religious houses in Leicestershire. He purchased the lands of Sibthorpe College subject to the life of Archdeacon Magnus. He acted as Steward to Lord Protector Somerset during the minority of Edward VI, and when that nobleman was executed, he nearly lost his life, too. He purchased, probably at a very low price (? £500), the Abbey of Welbeck and its lands, and lived there. He had lands connected with Worksop Priory, and was a principal contributor to the cost of the bells of its parish church. He acquired estates in other parts of the county. He is said to have been heavily fined for some offence, and he sold Welbeck and other lands for £48,000. He represented Nottinghamshire in Parliament in 1555-6.

SIR GERVASE CLIFTON, Knight and Baronet, (1587-1667), of Clifton, near Nottingham, was remarkable in this respect that he was married seven times in succession, and as the Scripture says of a certain woman "the seven had her," so here the seven women had him, and he was not like a Bluebeard, who got rid of his wives rapidly, for he had nearly sixty years of married life, and he not only liked married life but it agreed with his constitution, for he was nearly eighty when he died, and his character was that of a courteous man, beloved by others; and he was useful, for he served eight times in several parliaments; was a good landlord and kind master. He was devoted to the cause of King Charles I, and paid for his loyalty, being fined £4,000 "for his delinquency to the Parliament.''

EDWARD CLUDD, (1603-1678), who was born at Arnold, lived at Norwood Park, and was buried at Southwell, deserves a monument, or at all events a tablet in Southwell Cathedral, for he saved it from destruction, and yet not even a gravestone marks the place of his burial. "He was," says Dickinson in his "Antiquities of Southwell," "a very moderate, temperate man, by no means an enemy to Monarchy, though a strenuous opposer of the Goverment as administered by Charles. He was the principal adviser of all the measures taken by the. Parliament in this part of the world, and was the person by whose invitation, and under whose protection the Commissioners of Scotland resided, and held their consultations in the archiepiscopal palace at Southwell." . . . . "A warrant was issued to certain persons to take down the body or ante-choir, and all such other parts of the church (at Southwell) as were not necessary for the purposes of the parish. Mr. Cludd, although he had no great veneration for the hierarchy, had a taste for antiquity, and by his great interest with Cromwell, who now directed everything, saved the venerable fabric, and procured a revocation of the warrant for its demolition."

He built Norwood Park house, was a Justice of the Peace and Knight of the Shire for the County of Nottingham in the Barebones Parliament, and in 1656-9. He, as J.P., married many persons under a remarkable oak in the park, which became known as "Cludd's Oak."

TAYLOR WHITE, (d. 1772), was a member of an ancient family at Wallingwells, near Worksop, where formerly was a Benedictine nunnery, and where is a beautiful park of six hundred acres. He was one of the Duke of Marlborough's great Captains, and fought at Blenheim, and at Dunkirk. He founded Woolwich Academy, was Governor of the Tower, and was one of those who signed the invitation to the Elector of Hanover to accept the crown of England. He was Honorary Treasurer of the Foundling Hospital, whose affairs he managed for a long series of years. His portrait is there, and the name of his sister Mary, who was a liberal benefactress, is inscribed on the wall of the children's dining hall. In his will he desired his daughter to bring up her children so that they may have Ingenuity and Industry and not waste time on foolish Novels. We are told she was a most charming and elegant woman of wit and talents, who previous to her father's death had shut herself up in his sick-room for two long years, and so she had shown her sense of duty and discharged it. (See article, Thoroton S. T. 1907, p. 60, by Miss Towle White).

FREDERICK MONTAGU, (1733-1800), was the son of Charles Montagu the owner of Papplewick and Linby, who was auditor general of the Duchy of Cornwall. He (the son) was educated at Eton and Cambridge, and became a Lord of the Treasury. Being elected M.P. for Northampton, his reputation in the House was such that it was deemed likely he might succeed to the Speakership upon a vacancy, but he did not. He, however, was made a Privy Councillor. Papplewick Hall was rebuilt by him in 1787. It is a very plain building, standing in a beautiful park, with a fine view, and rendered the more beautiful by the lake, which also served to feed the cotton mills. Mr. Lowe, writing in 1794, says there were six of those mills, on the long strip of the Leen Valley, running down to Bulwell: although they were built and worked by Mr. Robinson under a lease, some credit must be given to Mr. Montagu, who, by granting the leases, manifested his desire to develop natural resources. "Seventy acres," says Mrs. Riley, "were occupied as reservoirs." The Grange and many houses for workpeople were also built. Mr. Montagu encouraged the growth of timber, and the plantations in the parish bore the names of naval commanders, being formed as the sea victories occurred, and so the achievements of Lord Howe, Earl Vincent, Sir John Borlase Warren, Lord Nelson, and others were commemorated. The Church was rebuilt in 1795, a plain structure, in a romantic situation, with trees around, quite apart from the village, yet near to it; just the place for a quiet retreat, in communion with God and nature.

Mr. Montagu in his retirement was enabled to gratify his literary tastes, and became a D.C.L. of Oxford. He died at the Hall. The connection of the family with the parish has recently become a thing of the past.

WILLIAM SHERBROOKE, (1768-1881) Esquire, of Oxton. In 1835 a marble bust from the chisel of Sir Francis Chantry, E.A., was placed in the Grand Jury Room of the Shire Hall, Nottingham, which records that he was "endowed with acuteness of intellect, soundness of judgement and energy of character which would have raised him to distinction in any sphere. He continued the exercise of his talents to the service of his native county, in which as a magistrate and for many years Chairman of the Quarter Sessions he ably conducted the public business and lived the true model of an English country gentleman. His friends and brother Magistrates have raised this bust to his memory."

THOMAS WILDMAN, (1787-1859), Colonel in the Army at Waterloo, being Aide-de-camp. He was a friend and school-fellow of Lord Byron, from whom he purchased the Newstead estate in 1816. He was a magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant for Nottinghamshire, of which he was High Sheriff in 1821. He spent large sums in restoring Newstead Abbey, and kept up all the Byron traditions. He was a very courteous man, and it gave him pleasure to show ordinary people over the grounds.

COLONEL ROBERT HOLDEN, (1805-1872), of Nuthall Temple, which estate he inherited from his father, who lived at Darley Abbey. He was educated at Christ Church, Oxford, and afterwards resided at Spondon, where his brother was vicar. Colonel Holden joined the South Notts. Yeomanry Cavalry in 1828, became Lieutenant-Colonel in 1848, and resigned in 1868, when the Regiment was in a high state of efficiency, he being allowed to retain his rank, and to continue to wear the uniform after his retirement. A service of plate was presented by the officers and members, and a very pathetic speech was made in reply, after forty years service. (See "History" of the regiment, by G. Fellows, p. 55).

The distinguishing feature of Colonel Holden's life was his quiet, but firm and uncompromising zeal in religious service. Every Sunday evening he held a mission service in the village school room, and frequently on a week night in a cottage, he being often the speaker. Every house in the parish he visited, and many out of it. In his Band of Hope he knew every child. He constantly presided at meetings of the Bible, Church Missionary, Pastorial Aid, Evangelical Alliance, and other like Societies. The Scripture Readers met in the Temple. He distributed the booklets of the Rev. J. C. Ryle, D.D., Bishop of Liverpool, who wrote an introductory memoir in a volume of "Recollections of Colonel Holden," published by Nisbet & Co.

WILLIAM AMELIUS AUBERY de VERE, tenth DUKE of ST. ALBANS, (1840-1898), succeeded to the Bestwood estate in 1849. He was Hereditary Grand Falconer of England, and Hereditary Registrar of the Court of Chancery. He became Lord Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire, Privy Councillor, Honorary Colonel of the Robin Hoods, etc. Bestwood Lodge was built by him in 1864, on the site of a hunting lodge of King Edward III. He granted a lease to the Bestwood Iron & Coal Company, and there followed a coal mine and iron smelting works, with railway connections: a Mission Church and Schools. The beautiful little church near to the Hall was built in 1870, and when at Bestwood, His Grace always took his place in the service. A rectory was afterwards built. When County Councils were established in 1889 the Duke was elected a member for the Arnold and Bestwood division, and at the first meeting of the Council he was elected an Alderman. He was attentive to his parliamentary duties in the House of Lords, and took an interest in promoting the welfare of Nottingham.

At Bestwood he planted many trees, chiefly firs, and he imported trees for the grounds from Corsica. He was fond of walking about in the woods and grounds stubbing thistles and other weeds that came in his way. (Jacks' "Great Houses.") His maimers were affable and pleasant, and he showed great patience, fortitude, and courage when suffering from a painful malady.

SIR GEORGE ERNEST PAGET, Bart., (1841-1923), of Sutton Bonington Hall, was the son of Mr. George Byng Paget, who became a director of the Midland Counties Railway in 1843, and was elected chairman in 1857. The son was educated at Harrow, and in 1860 joined the 7th Hussars, was transferred to the Royal Horse Guards, and after retiring joined the Leicestershire Yeomanry, which he left when he had attained the rank of Lieut.-Colonel. In 1870 he became a director of the Midland Railway, and so continued twenty-one years, being Deputy-Chairman in 1884 and Chairman in 1891, resigning through ill health. He was a director of many other companies, High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire in 1898, and was J.P. of Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire, and Chairman of the Nottinghamshire Standing Joint Committee. A member of the Jockey Club, he had horses in training at Newmarket. He was one year President of the Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club. A baronetcy was conferred upon him in 1897 in recognition of Midland Railway developments during Queen Victoria's reign, and in no department was this more marked than in the improvement of the accommodation provided for third class passengers, in which the Midland were pioneers. His son who succeeded him was General Superintendent of the Midland for ten years.