The first issue of this book, published in October last, being now exhausted, it appears desirable in making a second issue, to take advantage of the occasion by adding a Supplement of 16 pages, having notes on 28 additional names, about half of whom have passed away, and the rest are advanced workers. I scarcely see how to separate them, and as there may not be another occasion to express my honour of them, I deem the best, course to be to print an instalment, and continue my work if spared.

Here let me say it is a real trouble to omit the names of a number of men connected with the public and other bodies in the County and City who under a sense of moral obligation, and with a higher and wider outlook, devote many hours of valuable time to the public welfare, without payment, and often without appreciation; but they may be cheered by the thought that work on God's great farm of Humanity, with its varied fields of divergent soils, yet when well cultivated—will yield an abundant harvest.

R.M. January, 1925.


Page 15, lines 16-18. The three names should be drawn together
Page 19, line 32, for "evinced" read "evidenced."
Page 130. Rev. W. Denman. The tomb has not survived. The original Latin inscription is given by Thoroton. Lines 5 and 6 thereof, being involved, apparently puzzled Mr Wilmhurst, (delete the s) . Mr. H. M. Leman translates them thus:—"And I thereupon strove that Retford should reap the fruit of my labours, if any are zealous to make progress in religion."
Page 241, line 20, for " Attenborough '' read " Attenburrow."

NOTTS. COUNTY COUNCIL.—The Council was formed in 1889, (under the Local Government Act of 1888), consisting of fifty-one councillors elected to represent the districts in the County, and those members elected 17 aldermen (total 68), since increased by four others. Of those who constituted the original Council, and who have continued members ever since, there remain, in January, 1925, only four, namely: The Duke of Portland, Viscount Galway, Colonel Henry Mellish and Robert Mellors. Alderman William Mellors, of Hucknall, was an original member and is still in the Council, serving on many committees and sub-committees, but he was out of it three years. Ten other original members are living but are not now on the Council. All the others are believed to have joined the great majority.

Thirty-five years service on the Council gives food for reflection, not only on the mortality of life, but also on the service rendered for the good of the community:— "Something attempted, something done," for the welfare of all classes, without self-seeking or personal advantage, and involving many hours of valuable time occupied in considering and arranging in Committee the details of necessary business, of which the public never hear, where politics never enter, where mere talkers are a bore, and business capacity is invaluable. Suffice it here to say that there is no Council in England where the necessary operations are conducted better, or with a more earnest desire to promote the welfare of the people.

It is only just to say that the like remarks apply to the paid officials of the Council. The County is well served in every department.

LORD BELPER was the first Chairman, (see page 327). As Chairman of Quarter Sessions he had devoted much time to local administration, where he was a great economist, keeping the county out of debt. He rendered valuable service in organizing the new body, over which he presided with credit and ability for twenty-five years.

VISCOUNT GALWAY, C.B., A.D.C., after being Vice-Chairman, succeeded Lord Belper as Chairman.

He was M.P. for North Notts, from 1872—1885, and was Colonel of the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry Cavalry. During the dreadful period of the Great War he was, as he still is, unwearied in devotion to duty. The irreparable loss he sustained by the death of Lady Galway was followed by a painful affection of his eyes. He has not only discharged local duties with assiduity and dignity, but has also served as President of the National County Councils Association, on which he also represents the Notts. Council. On his eightieth birthday he received many congratulations.

Sir Charles Seely, Bart., was the first Vice-Chairman. (See page 94). The Eight Hon. Francis John Savile Foljarnbe succeeded, (see page 74), and was followed by Viscount Galway, as above.

COLONEL HENRY MELLISH, J.P., C.B., Hodsock Priory, (born 1856), was in the 8th Battalion Notts, and Derby Volunteer Force, became Major, and succeeded to the command. He is a notable shot, and has a long list of Bisley successes. He is Chairman of the Notts. Territorial Force Association. He compiles daily, and publishes annually, Observations on the Weather at Hodsock, including temperature, rainfall, sunshine and cloud, and he was President of the Royal Meteorological Society in 1910. He has been a member of the County Council ever since its formation, is an alderman, and became Vice-Chairman in 1914. As Chairman of the Notts. Education Committee, and several other Committees, his labours are very arduous, for he has the grasp of all its sub-committees, and he has served as Chairman of the Education Committee of the County Councils Association, being also one of the representatives of the Notts. Council. He is Chairman of the Retford Quarter Sessions, and is on the Council of Nottingham University College, Sheffield University, and on many other public bodies. His services for the public weal are invaluable.

The 6th Duke of Portland
The 6th Duke of Portland

THE DUKE OF PORTLAND, K.G., G.C.V.O., who has been Lord Lieutenant of Notts, since 1898, was born 28th December, 1857, and in December, 1879 he succeeded his second cousin in the peerage, shortly after which event he retired from the Coldstream Guards.

His Grace was Master of the Horse, and Chairman of the Royal Commission on Horse-Breeding, and was President of the Royal Agricultural Society in 1915, when the Royal Show was held at Nottingham. During the Great War he was President of the Agricultural Belief of Allies Fund, the British Ambulance Committee, and the R.S.P.C.A. Fund for Sick and Wounded Horses. He is President of the Notts. Territorial Army Association; is an original member of the Notts. County Council, an Alderman, and Chairman of the County Records Committee. He is President of the Council of University College, Nottingham; of the Nottingham Chamber of Commerce, and of many other institutions and societies. Since 1898 he has been Provincial Grand Master of the Freemasons of Notts. In 1889, he married Winifred, daughter of the late Thomas Yorke Dallas-Yorke, of Walmsgate Hall, Lincolnshire, and since that time they have taken the initiative in promoting many good causes, supporting them not only by noble benefactions, but by invaluable personal service. They have taken especial interest in the work of Hospitals, and indeed in every beneficent and philanthropic scheme for the relief of human suffering, and for the raising of the standard of life. To name only one of their public-spirited acts, they purchased Ellerslie House, and presented it to the City of Nottingham for use as a Home for invalid Sailors and Soldiers. To play the game and to play it well, has always been the Duke's aim.

Robert Millington Knowles

ROBERT MILLINGTON KNOWLES, J.P., Colston Basset Hall, (1843-1924), was a Major in the South Notts. Hussars, and was High Sheriff in 1885. In that most attractive village of Colston Basset he built in 1892 a beautiful church, but unfortunately the old one, dating from, about A.D. 1100, enriched with some fine work, (Rev. Dr. Cox) and which stood on high ground half a mile distant, became a ruin. He was an original member of the County Council, in which he served for thirty-five years, and was an Alderman. For fourteen years he acted as Chairman of the Asylum Committee. He was a Director of Colliery Companies, and as an Agriculturalist he took special pleasure in improving the breed of shorthorns and of large pigs.

One incident in his life may be given. In 1912 Mr. Keely, the then Secretary of the Nottingham General Hospital, in view of Christmas, sent Mr. Knowles a circular letter asking for evergreens for the decoration of the hospital. Mr. Knowles replied that the district was unsuitable for the growth of the evergreens desired, but, in default therof, he enclosed a cheque, which, perhaps, would do as well. The cheque was for £1,000. No wonder the secretary said he was glad he had made the mistake.

MAJOR GEORGE COKE ROBERTSON, J.P., of Widmerpool Hall, who died in 1924, in his 86th year, was one of the original members of the Notts. County Council, and so continued until his decease. He was elected an Alderman in 1904. In his early days he was in the Lancers, and later in the South Notts. Yeomanry, and for a period in the Robin Hoods, He had antiquarian tastes, and at his own cost paid for the compilation, printing, and lithographing of the manuscripts made by Mr. W. Stretton, concerning churches, and other buildings, etc. between 1755 and 1828. (See page 70). He was a Vice-President of the Thoroton Society. He changed his name in 1870, for when his ancestor George Robertson came from Scotland, and built the Cotton Mills in Papplewick, Linby and Bulwell, he found the prejudice against anything Scottish so great that he changed his name to Robinson, (See Old Notts. Suburbs, page 222), and he was one of the founders of Moore & Robinson's Banking Company. The late Major passed through a time of trouble half a century or so ago, for the price of corn was so low that the tenants on strong corn lands were beaten, and, with one exception, all the farms in Widmerpool were thrown on to the landlord's hands, who had to clean, cultivate, and lay down for grass, and for milk—a long and costly process. He was a kindly-hearted, generous and religious man.

Edmund Allenby, 1st Viscount Allenby (1861-1936)
Edmund Allenby, 1st Viscount Allenby (1861-1936)

VISCOUNT ALLENBY of Felixstowe, Field Marshal, G.C.B., G.C.M.G., and other decorations too numerous to mention, was born in 1861 at Brackenhurst, Southwell, a house since considerably enlarged by Sir William Hicking, Bart. His mother was a daughter of the Rev. Thomas Coates Cane, M.A., who resided there many years, and the register of the baptism of the future general is in Southwell Minster.

He has established a reputation as being not only a great soldier, and able governor, but also as a skilled, diplomatist. Take two items only among his many great exploits, which show not only daring but a profound knowledge of the working of the Eastern mind: 1. When the Turkish army had been completely routed, and Palestine delivered, his victorious entry into Jerusalem was made by walking on foot into the Holy City, a token of humility. 2. When the Sirdar had been murdered, and the High Commissioner had to deliver Britain's message, he, although habitually very precise as to dress, went in an undress suit, but accompanied by a regiment of cavalry, and the trumpeters, sounded the demand for attention.

THOMAS BERDMORE, of Fleet Street, London, "who acquired an ample and liberal fortune by Tooth Drawing," (so says the tablet in St. Mary's Church) and who died in 1785, aged forty-four, "was the first Englishman to write a book on Dentistry which has any pretensions to being a scientific treatise." He was Surgeon-Dentist to King George III. and to the Prince of Wales. A copy of his book is in the Library of the British Dental Association in London.

His father was the Vicar of St Mary's, Nottingham, as was also his uncle. The body of Thomas Berdmore was brought from London in a hearse to the White Lion Inn, in Clumber Street, from whence a procession was made, six clergymen supported the pall, and the grave was in the chancel of the church. He left apparently about £40,000 to £50,000, chiefly to relatives. (F. E. Porter).

WILLIAM HENRY STEVENSON, (1868-1924), M.A., Fellow and Librarian of St. John's College, Oxford, was born and for many years resided in Nottingham, his father, the late Wm. Stevenson, (see page 76) being then a small joiner and builder, but with definite antiquarian tastes, which through life were developed.

After schooling, Mr. Stevenson obtained a situation as clerk in the Town Clerk's office, where in his leisure hours he continued his studies, and became so competent that when the Corporation decided to compile and print the old records Stevenson was appointed to carry out the work. Many of those documents were in condensed Latin, or in Norman French. The first volume was published in 1882, of papers from 1155 to 1399, and was followed by three other volumes, the fourth being issued in 1889. He was employed on other Records, and then in the Record Office, and was made a Fellow of Exeter College, Oxford. He had work and honour at Cambridge. His edition of Asser's "Life of Alfred " brought him fame, and he was elected to a Fellowship at St. John's, having also the office of Librarian. The Eeport on the Manuscripts of Lord Middleton, preserved at Wollaton Hall, was prepared and edited by him on behalf of the Historical Manuscripts Commissioners, presented to Parliament, and published by His Majesty's Stationery Office in 1911. He was exceedingly kind and helpful to other authors, and was beloved by all who were near him. The funeral service in the chapel of the College was attended by a distinguished number of Professors, the interment being at Wolvercote Cemetery.

DR. THOMAS WILSON LEYS, (died 1924), who died in New Zealand, where his family went sixty years before, was a native of Nottingham, and educated at the People's College, his father having been a Supervisor of Inland Revenue. In New Zealand he founded a scheme of school libraries, and for thirteen years maintained at his own cost a juvenile library for the Colony and Australia. He was the editor of the ''Auckland Star, was an historian, and represented the Dominion at Press Conferences. He repeatedly declined invitations to join the Legislative Council. In 1901 he was a member of the Royal Commission appointed to report upon the proposed union of the Colony with the Commonwealth of Australia, which he opposed. On a visit to Canada the McGill University gave him its doctorate. ("Guardian.").

LAWRENCE P. JACKS, M.A., D.D., LL.D., etc., was born in 1860, in Elm Avenue, Nottingham, and went to the schools kept by Mr. J. R. Wild, and Mr. Geo. Herbert. He is now the Principal of Manchester College, Oxford, and has been, since 1902,

Editor of the "Hibbert Journal," a quarterly journal of religion, theology and philosophy. He is the author of many books and papers. His brother, Leonard, was the author of "The Great Houses of Notts," and his son Maurice is Head Master of Mill Hill School.

WILLIAM HENRY REVIS, (1849-1924), was a manufacturer in Nottingham, afterwards went to the United States, and returning, became a partner in the firm of George Spencer & Co., Hosiery Manufacturers, Lutterworth and Hucknall. By his will he bequeathed to Nottingham University College £10,000; Nottingham High School £3,000; General Hospital £3,000, with other benefactions. After providing family bequests a portion of the residue, estimated at £35,000, is left for educational purposes in institutions within the City and County of Nottingham under a scheme to be prepared.

THE MOST REV. GILBERT SHELDON, (1598-1677), was born at Ashbourne. He became Warden of All Souls College, Oxford, from which he was expelled by the Parliamentary Committee in 1648, for he was an ardent supporter, friend and Chaplain of King Charles I. He was also ejected from his living, and kept in custody six months, after which he lived in retirement with friends, one of them being old Mrs. Okeover, who lived in the house at East Bridgford of Mr. Hacker, afterwards known as the regicide (Rev. A. Du Boulay Hill) and continued there three or four years. At the Restoration, in 1660, Dr. Sheldon became Bishop of London, and three years later Archbishop of Canterbury. When Dr. Thoroton, in 1677, published his "Antiquities of Notts." he dedicated his work to the Archbishop thus: "Once a stranger whom Nottingham took in, and thereafter more than patron to one of Nottingham's sons," for the Archbishop had conferred on the Doctor a Lambeth Degree. The former died in the year of the publication, and the Author the year following.

During his Archbishopric he rebuilt for the University of Oxford, and at his own cost of over £12,000, the building known as the Sheldonian Theatre. At the time of the Plague he remained at his post, and gave and collected large sums to help the plague-stricken sufferers.

When St. Paul's Cathedral was burnt in the great Fire, he gave towards its restoration £4,000, and it was said that during his life he gave to public and pious uses, and acts of beneficence, £72,000. He rebuked the King —Charles II. for his adultery. (D.N.B.)

RT. REV. SIR EDWYN HOSKYNS, Bart., D.D., (born 1851) Bishop of Southwell since 1904, was, when the Bishopric was offered to him, Rector and Bishop Suffragan of Burnley, but was conducting a Mission in South Africa; since that time he has had twenty-one years of strenuous administration, the special features of which may be referred to, affecting as they do every part of our County and City, without reference being made to the ordinary work of a Bishop. One of the first tasks undertaken was to visit every parish church in his unwieldy diocese, hold a service, followed by a conference with the church officials and the people, in order to ascertain the religious state of the parish, to stir up all parties, and to secure united action. This work occupied several years.

The incomes of many of the clergy were found to be miserably small, and special steps had to be taken in order to endeavour to obtain what is called "a living wage."

The Great War resulted in the loss or removal of workers in every department of church life, and at the same time a great increase in work, such as:—for refugees, the departing soldiers, the wounded, the bereaved, war memorials, and other branches of service.

After the transfer of day schools to municipal and county authorities there were many requirements as to buildings, and necessary efforts to retain and maintain schools, and to remedy a sad lack of provision for training a greatly increased number of young teachers in religious knowledge and how to impart it.

The extraordinary developments of colliery operations in Notts., bringing large increases of population into new villages, have involved the need for new churches, mission and school-rooms, with additional staffs of workers.

An act of Parliament has been passed for dividing the diocese, and large funds are being raised for accomplishing this project.

In order to meet these, and many other requirements, a strenuous life has had to be lived, and still continued, and in this work Lady Hoskyns has been and is an ideal helpmeet.

RT. REV. HENRY RUSSELL WAKEFIELD, D.D., born at Mansfield, 1854, son of F. Wakefield, J.P., of Wicklow, was educated at Tonbridge School and Oxford. He became a curate in 1877-8, a Vicar in 1881; Lecturer on English Literature at the Crystal Palace 1887; member of the London School Board 1897; Mayor of St. Marylebone, 1903-4; Prebendary of St. Paul's Cathedral 1908; Dean of Norwich, 1909; with many other organisations of which he was chairman or member; and finally Bishop of Birmingham, 1911-24. Has published a volume of sermons, etc.

This is a very unusual record, and indicates a character with no narrow views of clerical life and duty, but one who sees the people's sorrows and needs, and with business capacity, agreeable manners, adaptation to circumstances, unwearied energy, hopefulness and helpfulness, he shows how religion may operate in civic life.

RT. REV. JOHN EDWARD HINE, D.D., Bishop of Grantham, was born in Nottingham in 1857, his father being the founder of the firm of Hine & Mundella, Hosiery and Lace Manufacturers, who built the factory in Station Street, afterwards known as that of the Nottingham Manufacturing Company, and now used as the headquarters of the Boot Companies. His uncle was Thomas Chambers Hine, the architect of All Saints' Church, and many other churches and buildings, who also restored the Castle from being a ruin to be a museum. Dr. Hine was educated at the High School, and later studied at London University College for the medical profession, and having obtained the degree of M.D. in the University of London was subsequently appointed Resident Medical Officer to the Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, and he also obtained his B.A. in the University of Oxford. In 1886 he deemed it to be his duty to enter Holy Orders, and to devote himself to Missionary work.

He went to Central Africa, and later became in succession Bishop of Likoma, then of Zanzibar, and later of Northern Rhodesia, so working in Africa for twenty-five years. His health failing, he returned to England, and in 1920 was appointed Bishop Suffragan of Grantham. He found his medical studies and attainments of great advantage in his spiritual work. He has published a book of his experiences, entitled "Days Gone By," which is highly interesting.

REV. WILLIAM SEVERN, (1754-1813), was born in Nottingham, his father being a wine merchant. At sixteen he became a Methodist, and had strong inclinations for the ministry. "He was honoured with the distinction of being a friend and confidential companion of John Wesley himself. For two years he was a travelling associate of the celebrated founder of Methodism." He was expelled from his father's house on account of his attachment to Methodism. In his twentieth year he had grave religious doubts, and soon after he went to the University of Edinburgh to study Divinity. He abandoned Methodism, and in 1776 became a Dissenting Minister. He was ordained as an Unitarian Minister at Welford in 1782, and later served at Hinckley, Norwich, Kidderminster, and Hull, where he died. He is described as an attractive preacher, distinguished by a talent for religious conversation, vigorous, vivacious. His favourite study was the Bible, and his character was a very high one united with probity and simplicity.

REV. THOMAS KEYWORTH, (1782-1852), the son of a Nottingham bookseller, went to London as a young man, and as an Unitarian, but changing his views he entered Cheshunt College to study for the Congregational ministry, and was afterwards a minister at Sleaford, Nottingham, and other places. Modest and simple in character, he was an active advocate for the poor having garden allotments, which in those days were unobtainable, and was an able promoter of Missionary work. He wrote four books. ( D.N.B.)

REV. THOMAS BRAIN-CASTLE was a Methodist minister, who died in 1924 at the age of sixty-two. He served in ten large centres, his forte and his lot being to revive derelict chapels, and he did it, being particularly successful in a four years mission at Halifax Place Chapel, Nottingham, where a remarkable work was accomplished. With a strong human desire to attract to Christ, he was warm-hearted, generous, ready to help, daring and unconventional. A great advertiser and worker, he succeeded where others failed.

REV. THOMAS SCAWBY of Cavendish Vale, Sherwood, is a Methodist minister, who after a ministry extending over sixty-five years, in many towns, is, at the age of eighty-seven, still on active service, for although he is on the "Retired" and "Supernumerary" list, and his eyesight has become so defective that he reads with difficulty aided by a powerful glass, yet he continues to preach, and it is said to be not an uncommon thing for him to take two services on a Sunday.

WILLIAM BELLAMY, (1824-1916), of Middle Pavement, Nottingham, was a worker in tin and copper. His father was a farmer, land surveyor and valuer, at Alford, and being a well-educated man, taught his boys; but members of the family being farmers near the village of Somersby, where the poet Tennyson was born, William spent a good deal of time there, and the poet's father—the Rev. George C. Tennyson, D.D., being Rector, was happy in promoting the good of all boys in the district who played with his school boys and who were willing to learn.

When nineteen, William came to Nottingham, and joined the Halifax Place Wesleyan Chapel, where he met Mary Ann Kemp (1816-1911) the daughter of one of the founders of the cause; they married, and lived happily together, and sixty-three years afterwards they celebrated their wedding day with six children and twenty-three grand-children.

He was always active in both business and religious work, being a member of the choir, a teacher in the school and then superintendent. He started a Sunday School in Arkwright Street, and was the first class leader, and he heartily engaged in Band of Hope work.

When about 40 his business had become too strenuous, so he sold it, and entered the service of a bank at Boston, and joined in social work. Being transferred to Spilsby, and later appointed to be manager of the bank at Skegness he continued till 80, and then resigning, was pensioned off at full salary.

He was fond of cycling, and would go on his cycle to distant villages to conduct Band of Hope Meetings, shouting as he departed, "Hurrah, for the pump I" and this he did until he was ninety. Active, useful and cheerful he reached ninety-two, and his wife attained nearly ninety-five years.

FREDERICK G. LOWE, (1852-1924), was born of a Holme Pierrepont family, but his father was a Sanitary Inspector for the Nottingham Corporation. Fred became an assistant in the shop of Mrs. Green, grocer, No. 2, Mansfield Road, where he continued seventeen years. He determined to spend his leisure time wisely, and joined a Methodist Society in Campbell Street, and became a local preacher. He, on behalf of his uncle, served in the Holme Pierrepont troop of the South Notts. Yeomanry Cavalry, and he stood six feet three in his shoes.

In 1890 he emigrated to Cape Town, South Africa, and served in an Importing Merchants' store, and going into the slums of Cape Town he observed that the coloured natives were almost utterly neglected in regard to education, religion, sanitation, and domestic and social comfort. He thereupon decided to devote his spare time to their welfare, and this he continued to do for thirty-four years, so that when he died, in June, 1924, the "Argus" newspaper recording his decease says: "One of the most active—though unostentatious—social workers in Cape Town was the late Mr. F. G. Lowe, Founder of the City Slum Mission, who recently passed away:" and the "Cape Town Times" says: "The slums are mourning to-day for one who lived amongst them." The Mayor and Sir Frederick Smith bore testimony to his work.

He began with a mission hall in which not only religious services were held, but with the co-operation of others who joined him, there was a Boys' Brigade, a Girls' Pioneer Brigade, a Young Men's Brass Band, a band of about twenty small boys, all of whom were carefully taught and put in uniform that they might have an interest in their work.

In four mission halls he was the mainstay. There were free breakfasts on Sunday morning, for 150 destitute children, a Soup Kitchen, flowers and small parcels for sick rooms.

He never advertised himself or his work. How the money came was a marvel, but it came. He had two rooms as a residence. For the last eight years he helped in, and superintended, the Eagle Coffee Tavern. He died, but the work is continued.

Here is an example of unostentatious, practical working; of self denial in promoting good among a despised and neglected race, who are still the children of God; and of tenacity of purpose, otherwise called "sticking-to-it-iveness." Mr. Lowe called himself "a message boy for Jesus."

FREDERICK ACTON, C.B.E., J.P., Solicitor, Nottingham, now in his eightieth year, was a Guardian in 1873, and two years later became a member of the Town Council. He was Chairman of a Committee appointed to ascertain the rights of the ancient Freemen over the common lands, and this led to the appointment of Mr. W. H. Stevenson to search the Corporation Records, copies of which were afterwards compiled and published. Mr. Acton was Sheriff in 1879, and later Alderman and Magistrate, being now the senior sitting member of the Nottingham Bench. He was High Sheriff of Lincolnshire in 1915, and has recently been unanimously appointed Chairman of Lindsey Quarter Sessions. He has devoted many years of service to the General Hospital, and to Ellerslie House for disabled soldiers. Since 1914 he has been President of the National Deposit Friendly Society for the promotion of thrift and self-help among the industrial classes, which has more than half a million voluntary members, of whom 25,000 are in Notts, and similar numbers are in the State section, some of whom are in both divisions.

JOHN HARROP WHITE, (born 1856), of Mansfield, has been honoured by its Town Council with the Freedom of the Borough, being with the Duke of Portland, the only persons so distinguished. He was in early days on the Town's Improvement Commission, then one of the first members of the Council, becoming the Deputy Town Clerk, and for twenty-three years its Clerk. He has for many years taken an active part in both elementary and secondary education, and many other departments of service. The presentation named was enclosed. in a silver casket bearing symbols of the recipient being the Chief Magistrate, and of his interest in hospital work and the cause of education. The casket was set on a stand made of Sherwood Forest oak, from one of the steps in the old staircase of the Swan Hotel, which old coaching hostelry was kept by Mr. White's father, who is still remembered with respect as a reliable auctioneer and valuer. For forty-two years Mr. White said he had with pleasure given his brains and energies to the service of his fellow men.

JOHN T. SPALDING, (1842-1924), was Devonshire bred, but in 1878 he, with Mr. William Griffin, succeeded to, and largely developed the drapery business established by Messrs. R. & E. Dickenson. He became a member of the Nottingham City Council, and so continued twenty years, being Mayor in 1908, Alderman, (serving on many Committees), and Magistrate. He took an active part in the support of the Hospitals and Dispensary. For eighteen years he was churchwarden of St. Thomas's Church, and one of the decorated windows, (illustrating "The fruits of the Spirit,") was his gift. He founded a Library of the most important County and Town histories, the description of which occupied five volumes. He made a collection of valuable specimens of hand-made lace and embroideries, and presented it to the City. He encouraged patriotism by presenting flags to schools. He attained a prominent position in Free Masonry. He was distinguished for benevolence and courtesy.

SIR GEORGE WIGLEY, J.P., (1837-1925), Silk Merchant, Nottingham. When 15 years he entered a silk throwing mill. He became connected with various commercial concerns; was a thorough business man, active, enterprizing, just, reliable. He rendered great service for 46 years to the local Savings' Bank, the Trustees and Staff of which presented him with his portrait. He took an active part in the Medical charities of the City.

JOSEPH TURNEY WOOD, (1865-1924), was a Director of Turney Brothers, Ltd., Leather Manufacturers, Nottingham, and had charge of the scientific, or chemical side of the business. His father died when he was six years of age, and his mother, who is a sister of Sir John Turney, still survives at eighty-eight. Sir John made himself responsible for his nephew's upbringing and education. He studied chemistry at University College under Professor Clowes, entered the business when seventeen, and for thirty years had charge of his department. He continued his studies scientifically, and with original research as applied to leather dressing and dyes, which led not only to important developments in business, but also enabled him to write many scientific papers thereon, and in 1912 he published a technical text book of 300 pages, with 33 illustrations, on Leather Dressing. This he said was done after he had had twenty years practical and scientific study of the subject, and with a. view to assist the younger generation.

Outside business he loved science, particularly astronomy, and literature and culture. He was Chairman of Bromley House Library. His was a happy home, and he cared for the welfare of workmen. He was travelling in Italy (being a good linguist) when he was taken ill, returned for an operation, and succumbed.

John D Player
John D Player

William G Player
William G Player


WILLIAM G. PLAYER, J.P., very largely developed the business established by their father and which is now that of the Imperial Tobacco Company, Ltd. They are probably the largest employers of labour in Nottingham, including it is said, about 4,500 persons, who work under the happiest physical conditions practicable, assured of every consideration and attention to their individual welfare and comfort. There are playing fields for all kinds of sport and recreation. They have for some years enjoyed annual gifts according to service and profits, which are much appreciated.

Messrs. Player give both personal service and considerable contributions for the development of character as in the Boys' Brigade; for the relief of suffering, as in the General and the Childrens' Hospitals; for the promotion of religion, as in church extension, and for other purposes aiding the welfare of the community.