WILLIAM HAUGHTON. (1652-1673).

He seems to have been a school master, and was appointed in Cromwell's time, and therefore was not a Royalist like his predecessor. At this time many. Presbyterians were appointed to the Church livings and afterwards ejected, unless they would subscribe to the Act of Uniformity on 24th August, 1662. Evidently Mr. Haughton did this. In  the Burial Register we find that he died on 23rd June and was buried on 25th June, 1673 with the words " Life is hidden in the tomb." His wife died on 6th November in the same year. He had two daughters Anne, who died a few months old, and Mary who was born "1st October, 1660 (between 11 and 12 at night), and baptized 23rd October." He was no doubt a diligent student and probably it was he who made a complete copy of the older registers. All the entries are beautifully written in the same hand until 1656.

He was a benefactor of the King Edward VI Grammar School.

In his will dated 3rd June, 1673 he gave "Several Tenements and Lands situated and lying in ye town and parish of Ordsall, to ye Free School of this town, and appointed the then Bailiffs and Burgesses, and their successors, trustees for the same, that they should out of the rents and profits thereof annually pay unto the ye Head Schoolmaster the sum of 4 pounds, upon the 1st January and ye remainder of ye rents and profits to ye Usher." These provided £28 in 1864. He desired to be buried on the South side of the Communion Table in the Church.

EDWARD RAYNES. (1673-1695).

Instituted 22nd October, 1673. Sizar of Magdalene College, Cambridge, aged 17 in 1657. Son of Gervase Raynes of Weston, Notts., M.A. 1664. He took the Oath of Allegiance required in 1689. His son Edward was born at Ordsall on 16th March,. 1675 and also went to his father's college in 1693. His wife was Dorothy Raynes, and other children were Gervas, Richard, John, and Mary, christened in Ordsall Church. In the notes on the Church Register we have already given a note about him. For 16 years he did not record the Burials, as we find in the year 1679. "Here the Minister being ill, the Register was neglected until his death."

JOHN PIGOT. (1695-1727).

Sizar at St. Catharine's, Cambridge, 1663. B.A. 1667. M.A. 1670. D.D. Vicar of Rolleston and Prebendary of Southwell. Six Preacher in Canterbury Cathedral.

He was the son of Richard Pigot, Headmaster of Shrewsbury, and died 21st August, 1727, aged 82. He married Elizabeth Elton, buried at Ordsall 8th January, 1718, aged 60. Their daughter Catharine married Joseph Hall in 1696, and the window on the North side of the Chancel given by Sir John Hall, his descendant, of New Zealand, commemorates this marriage. His son Robert acted as Curate for his father at Ordsall, and became Vicar of Northallerton and Minor Canon of Durham.

There is a brass tablet to his memory on the South wall of the Chancel.

GEORGE MASON. (1727-1742).

Sizar, Christ's College, Cambridge, 1690. He was the second son of Paul Mason. Born at Westminster on 27th September, 1673. Baptized at Eaton 10th October, 1673. Married at Ordsall on 18th October, 1705, Elizabeth Pigot, daughter of Rev. John Pigot, Rector of Ordsall.

Vicar of Beckingham 1707—1727. Died 15th November. Buried 17th November, 1742 in Ordsall Church. His mother was Elizabeth, one of "the fower daughters" (according to the tablet in the South Aisle) of Stephen Coe, grandson of a former Rector of Ordsall. His son Paul, baptised at Ordsall 10th October, 1706, lived at Eaton, and was buried at Ordsall 22nd June, 1726. His father, Paul Mason was buried at Ordsall 15th March, 1696.

This Rector and Edmund Mason were ancestors of the Masons of Moreton Hall. A portrait of the latter can be seen there.

THOMAS COCKSHUTT. (1742-1774).

Born 1710. His brother was a merchant near Rotherham. Instituted 9th April, 1743. MA. Cambridge. Rector of Barnborough, Yorkshire 1767-1774. For a time he was Vicar of Penistone, and held the two livings by Dispensation from the Archbishop of Canterbury. In 1743, Archbishop Herring of York held a Visitation of the County, and this Rector answered that the duty at Ordsall was performed by Mr. Heald of Babworth, until he could get a proper Curate. He allowed the Curate £30 a year for a service once a Sunday and Communion five times a year. As far as we know he never performed any duties at Ordsall. He became Canon of Southwell in 1753, and was for a time Rector of Beelsby, Lincolnshire. In 1765 he arranged with the famous organ builder Mr. Snetzler for the repairs to the Southwell organ.

In 1770 he was appointed Vicar-General of the Southwell College of Canons, and had jurisdiction over 28 Churches for all purposes, except Confirmation and Ordination. It is said that he was "not distinguished but for his integrity and good humour." He died at Retford on 13th April, 1774 and was buried on 15th April in the Chancel near the Vestry door. His sister Ann married Thomas Wheat of Retford. JOSEPH SCOTT. (1774-1812).

We have no information about this Rector. Apparently he never resided at Ordsall. In the Town's  Book there are notes.

"July 1798, Mr. William Nelson erected a pew seat in No. 4 (commonly called the Rector's Servants) by consent of Rev. Scott, provided he would give peaceable possession."

"Jan. 30th, 1795. A subscription entered into for the relief of poor families in the Parish, it being a severe season, and provisions at an uncommon high price given at 4 separate payments to persons in work and out of work. Rev. Joseph Scott £3/3/0. The  total  was  £16/2/0."

All the duty in the parish was performed by Rev. Joshua Flint, Vicar of Clarborough. This Venerable Curate held office for 53 years, until he died and was buried at Fledborough in 1822.

FRANCIS FOXLOWE. (1812-1841).

M.A., St. John's College, Cambridge. Baptised at Staveley 30th November, 1771. Died 13th Dec. Buried 18th Dec, 1841 at Staveley. He was also Rector of Elmton where he lived, while Ordsall was served by Curates. He was the son of Samuel Foxlowe, Esq. of Tideswell, and afterwards of Staveley Hall. His mother was Dorothy, daughter of Rev. James Gisburne, Rector of Staveley. He married Jane, daughter of Richard Slater, Attorney of Chesterfield. During his time the Rectory was built near the Church, where the Curate, Rev. T. H. Marshall, came to live about 1822. His other Curates were Rev. W. Bury, Rev. C. Bigsby, Rev. G. Rhodes and Rev. F. O. Morris. The last was the well-known writer on British Birds.

THOMAS KING.  (1841-1873).

B.A. Born 25th July, 1801. Son of Captain William and Penelope King, and grandson of Thomas King of Sileby, Leicestershire. His Aunt, Ann King married Rev. Stuart Corbet, and he married their daughter Louisa, who was his cousin. The Rev. S. Corbet was offered the living of Ordsall but did not accept. A relative of his was Agent to the Earl of Wharncliffe, patron of Ordsall, who presented him with the living. He had a wooden leg, and was a familiar figure in the village. He had a small farm and his bailiff lived at Beech Cottage. He died on 26th May, 1873, and was buried on the north side of the Church, where his tombstone may be seen. His mother, wife, and Aunt Catherine are also buried there.


Born 31st March, 1827. Died 14th June, 1896. B.A., Worcester College, Oxford, 1850. M.A. 1856. LL.D., Glasgow. Ordained by Bishop of Oxford 1852. Royal Naval Chaplain 1853—1870. Served in the Crimean War, end saw the Charge of the Light  Brigade. Chaplain  of  H.M.S. "Queen."

Founder and 1st Incumbent of St. Andrew's, Constantinople (1856—1858). He received an address from the people of Ortaquoi, when he left this Church. Awarded Crimean, Turkish and Baltic Medals. Missioner Cromarty, 1858—1800. Curate of Holy Trinity, Portsea, 18G0—1867. Vicar of Holy Trinity, Malta, 1870—1871. Curate of St. Giles, CamberwelL 1871—1872. Vicar of Northam, Hants, 1872—1873. He was a friend of Dr. Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Winchester, who introduced him to Lord Wharncliffe.

He wrote a very interesting series of letters from the Crimea, which were published in a book, called "From the Fleet in the Fifties." He married twice and had two sons and three daughters. He died on 14th June, 1896 and was buried in Ordsall Churchyard.

At Oxford he was Conservative Leader of the Union Debating Society, in opposition to the future Marquis of Salisbury. He always had a love of learning and adventure, but his health was permanently impaired by the hardships of the Crimea, and he suffered greatly from rheumatic gout.

In 1877 the restoration of Ordsall Church was carried out at a cost of £3,000. The Church was closed for a year, and services were held in Thrumpton School. The porch, side-aisles and East window were completely rebuilt, and some of the pillars too. The roof and furniture were entirely renewed at the same time, and an organ and surpliced choir accompanied the services. A new peal of bells was hung in the Tower in 1892.

He married first Eliza Margaret, daughter of Mr. Henry Kendall of Mortlake, and secondly Anastasia Caroline Alexandrina, daugrhter of Mr. Henry Baker, Treasurer of the Ionian Islands, near Greece.

The Processional Cross, Candlesticks and Curate's Desk, have inscriptions to his memory.


Born 28th November, 1845. Educated at Shrewsbury School. Dublin University B.A. (Jun. Mod. Mental and Moral Science). 1875 LL.B. 1879 LL.D. Ordained at Hereford 1873. Curate of Broseley, 1873-75. Math. Tutor, St. Martin's Training-College 1875. Curate of St. Martin's, York 1876— 77. Curate of All Hallows', York, 1877—81. Vicar Choral and Minor Canon of York Minster 1875— 1881. Rector of Treswell 1881—1896. He married Elizabeth Wilson of York, and had a son Hugh, and two daughters. The eldest, Dorothy, married Rev. R. D. Foster, and the second, Margery, married Dr. Twining- of Salcombe, Devon. Mrs. Stott is living- at Braeside, Salcombe at the present time. Dr. Stott had many interests, including- music and photography and gardening. He added several rooms to the old Rectory, and enlarged the gardens to their present size in 1897. Services were held in the Mission Room in Albert Road, and Bishop Ridding was anxious that a new Church should be built in South Retford. Dr. Stott made plans for St. Alban's Church, and the Chancel was opened for Service on 22nd June, 1903, the cost being nearly £5,000. St. Alban's Hall was erected in 1902, and used as a temporary Church. The Old Churchyard was closed, and a new part consecrated, in 1906.

Dr. Stott went to Egypt for his health, but unfortunately contracted typhoid fever on his return, and he died on 11th December, 1907, and was buried in  Ordsall  Churchyard.

The beautiful Reredos at St. Alban's, and the Clock in Ordsall Tower were given in his memory.


Born 30th June, 1869 at Owmby-cum-Searby, Lincolnshire. A son of John and Priscilla Foster, he had two brothers and two sisters.

Educated at Caistor Grammar School. B.A. London, 1896. Master at King Edward Grammar School, Retford, 1893-1902. Ordained by the Bishop of Southwell, Trinity Sunday 1900. Curate of Ordsall 1900-1908. Married Helen Margaret Dorothy Stott on 22nd April, 1903, and had two sons and a daughter. Rector of Ordsall, 1908-1922. Rector of Boxwell with Leighterton, Gloucestershire 1922-1934. Resigned and now lives at Wayside, Woodchester, near Stroud, in the same County.

The Rector lived after his marriage at Holly Mount, next to St. Alban's Church, and continued to reside there all the time he was Rector of Ordsall. The old Rectory was let for a few years and sold in 1920.

In 1913 the first part of the Nave of St. Alban's Church was built at a cost of £2,000, and the Church was consecrated on Whit-Sunday 1913. Ordsall Parish Hall was built in 1922, and the Churchyard extended a second time in 1922. He was Rural Dean of Retford 1918-1922, and exchanged livings with the succeeding Rector in 1922.


Major Indian Army (Retired) 1887-1907. St. Catherine's, Oxford. B.A. 1909. M.A. 1915. Ordained 1909. Curate of St. Mary and St. John, Cowley 1909-1912. Curate of Baldersley 1912-13. Rector of Scawton, Yorks., 1913-1917. Curate of St. Mary, Paddington, 1919-20. Rector of Boxwell with Leighterton, 1920-23. Rector of Ordsall 1923-1925. Curate in Charge of Frieth, Bucks., 1925-1930. Chaplain to a Community in Sussex, 1930.

The Rector was married and had a family of nine children. He built the new Rectory in 1924.