The Church Plate.

The church plate.
The church plate.

IN the above photograph we give an illustration of the Church Plate at All Hallows' Church, Ordsall Several Churches in the County have Chalices, which are dated 1671, Treswell and South Leverton are included amongst them. In this parish we are fortunate to have an interesting collection, some of which is more than two hundred years old.

Reading from left to right in the illustration we are able to give the following description.

Back row.

  1. Large silver Paten, now used as an alms dish at Communion Services. Inscribed upon it is "Ordsaliae: S." probably "Sacred to the use of Ordsall." The mark W.G is struck four times upon it. This is the maker's mark of William Garrard, who entered it at the Goldsmith's Hall, London, in 1735. We are told that the absence of the date letter, lion, and leopard's head crowned shows that this piece of silver was not sent to the Goldsmith's Hall for essay, and it is also an indication that the silver was not newly melted, but an older piece refashioned. Near the edge is the old date letter, very faintly inscribed f which signifies it was first made in London in 1623.
  2. Large modern Alms Dish of brass. The inscription reads, "The Lord loveth a cheerful giver."
  3. Pewter Paten, inscribed with the word "London."

Middle row.

  1. Silver Chalice. This was given to the Church in December, 1897, by donors who requested that their names should not be published. It is of handsome modern design.
  2. Silver Chalice with the following inscription: "The gift of Mrs. Elizabeth Johnson to the Parish Church of Ordsall." At the top are the marks S.A. and the date letter D. These show that it was made by John Sanders, a London silversmith in 1719.

    Mrs. Elizabeth Johnson left by her will a small field at Whitehouses, the rent of which was to be given to the poor of Ordsall on Good Friday and St. Thomas' Day by the Minister and Overseers. This is still given at Christmas. Although called Mrs. it does not appear that she was married, she is called spinster and householder in the Burial Eegister of December 22nd, 1717. She was "Mistress" of the house and a lady of some position. Her father, John Johnson, gave the sixth bell in the tower.

  3. Silver and glass Cruet. This is one of a pair presented by the Rev. B. Field in 1923.
  4. Silver Wine Flagon with inscription "The gift of Mrs. Ann Turnell "Widd, daughter and heiress of Mr. Richard Brownlow, of Thrumpton, dec'd, for the use of the Communicants of the Parish Church of Ordsall for ever." The date 1724 is on the handle. The marks N.G.. and H show that it was made in London by Nathaniel Gulliver in 1723.

    Mrs. Ann Turnell was a widow, who lived at the close of her life at Tickhill. She left £40, of which the interest was to be given to the poor of Ordsall on Candlemas Day. This Charity was lost owing to the bankruptcy of John Stoakes, a farmer, who was trustee for the money. She was buried in the South Aisle of Ordsall Church on November 9th, 1727, aged 65. There is a monument there to her and her father, Mr. Richard Brownlow, and their tombstone is on the floor by the font.

Front Row.

Cover of Chalice 1719. Baptism Shell. Paten "Take eat this is My Body "given in 1897.