St. Alban's was one of three churches founded by the renowned Vicar of Sneinton, Canon Vernon Wollaston Hutton, whose tracts on the Faith, though written some sixty years ago, are still published in their thousands. He was a priest of outstanding vigour. He divided his large parish by the erection of the churches of St. Alban and St. Matthias and St. Christopher—the latter not being the predecessor of the present St. Christopher's, but in another part of the area. All were centres of a growing Anglo-Catholicism, and the citv was fortunate in the appointment of Bodley and Garner as architects of St. Alban's. Though built amidst the slums of the city, the Canon believed that only the best art was worthy of the situation, and St. Alban's is up to the highest standards of these eminent Victorian architects, with its slender pillars, its considerable height, and the excellence of its glass, screens, reredoses and font cover. It is dominated by the tall rood screen with its great coloured figures of the Passion, but the building is rather foreshortened owing to the failure of the plan of lengthening it, due to the inability to acquire property at the west end. At a time when churches of this tradition were fewer than they are to-day, it was for long the chief rallying centre of followers of the Oxford Movement.

Tradition says that Canon Hutton in 1880 visited St. Peter's London Docks, St. Peter's, Vauxhall, and Kennington and decided to follow the same lines here. He gave the land for the eastern part of the site and an iron church was put up under the direction of Messrs. Truman and Pratt (the former later became Canon Truman of Lincoln). Only a week after a visit from Father Mackonochie of St. Alban's, Holborn, an anonymous gift of £3,000 was made and more land was bought. The Canon had two reasons for building : the need for more accommodation owing to the crowded state of Sneinton Parish Church, and his wish to secure at least one church in a town where the patronage was in the hands of the Simeon Trustees, through whom continuity of teaching in Catholic faith and practice would be maintained. The first-rank east window is his memorial. The daily mass was begun about 1890; the Lady Chapel built in 1898; the great screen and rood were given by the two brothers Tew in 1910; and St. Michael's chapel was added three years later.

St. Michael's was an offshoot from Old Radford, built by the Rev. T. Lea Wilson, on an unusually spacious scale. Unfortunately it was never completed, and, with the decline in residential population, it is improbable that the nave will ever be completed as he intended.

St. George's is our only monastic church, having been placed in the hands of the Kelham Fathers by Sir Edwyn Hoskyns nearly forty years ago. Of the nave the least said the better, but the chancel was by G. F. Bodley. It does not bear the obvious stamp of his work but he created an illusion of great height by putting the high altar into a narrow recess with a high window full of excellent glass. It is this, with the tall plain green velvet dossal, and the gilded Six Renaissance candlesticks and sanctuary lamp, which makes the most impression on a visitor, and carries his eye onwards to the good work at the east end whilst bye-passing the unnoticed nave. If this was what Bodley intended, it was a clever solution of a problem.

A lady chapel was made by Bodley's successor, C. G. Hare, and was completed later with the addition of coloured statues over the altar and stained glass in all three windows.

There are fine sets of both high and low mass vestments, a pleasant range of single saint windows, a worthy organ case, and a number of statues and shrines for devotion, besides an interesting old chamber organ of the seventeenth century with its black naturals and white sharps. It has to be played standing and has a remarkably sweet tone. The wide chancel arch will shortly be improved by the insertion of a hanging rood with attendant figures, by a recent bequest.

The chapel of the Blessed Sacrament is apt to be missed as it is only visible through a gilded grille at the end of an aisle, but access to it can be had from the chancel, and its alabaster altar and general colour scheme is worth inspection. Here Reservation is maintained.

The church's great benefactor was Henry Gee, who throughout his ninety years of life helped the Catholic Movement here and elsewhere lavishly. His gifts include organ, altar and rails, bishop's chair, lectern, litany desk, sacring gong, a chalice, the high altar crucifix and many other things, besides a large sum with which to build the chancel.

As a conventual church the parish has benefitted by a large clerical staff including lay brothers and (at one time) nuns, though war has reduced these numbers to a minimum.

All Soul's, Radford, was carved out of the vast parish of Old Radford in 1894. It is a red brick building with a light interior and some pleasant modern woodwork, standing at a focal point at the corners of Ilkeston Road, Lenton Boulevard and Radford Boulevard. Recently the parish has taken over the parish of Christ Church, New Radford, which in its day was an important and influential church. Some of the altar furniture has been removed to All Souls' and has been used for the construction of a "Christ Church Chapel". The creation of this chapel forms part of a war memorial, and the roll contains names of the fallen from both All Souls' and Christ Church. The other parts (also completed) of the war memorial are a clergy vestry and a children's corner. A new Baptistry has also been provided for the church in this present year.

St. Paul's, Daybrook, is one of our few first-rank buildings. It was designed to the order of Sir Charles Seely by Mr. J. L. Pearson (the builder of Truro Cathedral). It has all the Pearson hallmarks: the wrought iron screens, the many-coloured marble floor, the elaborately-carved stone pulpit and so forth, and it is complete, the work of one mind. It is in the Decorated style of the fourteenth century, with notable clustered pillars between chancel and Lady Chapel, richly-carved stone panelling and reredos (with alabaster figures) and fine sedilia in the chancel, together with a glorious Founders tomb containing under a fourteenth-century-style canopy an effigy of the Founder's wife. It is by Sir Thomas Brock and a work of great beauty, suited to one whose character was equally so.

All the windows were given by Sir Charles Seely and come from one firm; they show scenes in the life of St. Paul on the north and south, the Creed in the west window, and "Universal Adoration" in the east.
Statuary makes an important contribution; the pulpit with apostolic figures, and the font with symbolic figures of the abstract virtues.

Apart from the Lady Chapel altar and a good war memorial on the west wall, there is nothing which is not of Pearson's time. The church is all of stone and the exterior is as good as the inside. Tower and slightly curved spire are of real beauty with an overhanging clock on wrought iron brackets. The west gable is enriched with a series of statue-niches and panelling. Even the porch has stained glass in its small windows. A festival superfrontal contains Mrs. Seely's jewels. Nothing seems to have been overlooked which could make the church better equipped and more beautiful.

The Seely's (in the person of Lord Sherwood) are still patrons, though their home at Sherwood Lodge is now a Government office. There they had a charming private chapel for the estate, on which the same care had been lavished, but, alas, it has fallen on different days with the accession of the National Coal Board, and its future is very uncertain.

St. Catherine's stands in a busy part of older industrial Nottingham at the city end of St. Ann's Well Road. It was built of stone in 1896 in place of an iron church of which the elongated shape led to its being called "The Shooting Gallery". One of its treasures is the font, with a roughly-hewn bowl and a medieval base. It formerly belonged to the ruined church of South Wheatley, in the north of the county. The crucifix in the Lady Chapel was carved in Ober ammergau. In the Children's Corner are a grandfather clock and a table, the property of John Sargent, who died in 1926 after having served as verger since the opening of the church. His daughter left, out of her savings, £50 to the church, to be spent on a window to the patron saint. This window is also in the Children's Corner. We see a figure of St. Catherine, and also Alice Sargent, leaning down with her bucket and scrubbing brush, cleaning the floor. A. W. Hopkinson, author of Pastor's Progress, was Vicar of St. Catherine's in the early years of the century.