Sutton's renowned glee singers

The first Sutton men to distinguish themselves in singing were the above—Messrs George Brooks, Herbert Naylor, John Bartholmey Handley and John Turner—names even yet familiar, whilst no doubt many Sutton people would know them as old men. These then were amongst the pioneers of Sutton glee singing. It is quite true that some 15 or 20 years previous to these singers coming to the front, another set had already gained a wide name, for their excellent singing. These were Messrs. Jephson, T. Whitehead, W. Naylor, George Allen (the old veteran sexton at the Parish Church), and Tom Foulds, a notable glee composer, who wrote for the glee singers the now celebrated piece, "Victoria: England's Queen," his most popular composition being the well-known "Gipsies Glee." It is a somewhat remarkable fact that the singers whose portraits we here give were all born in the same year—1810. This quartette began their singing career before they were out of their teens, and kept up an unrivalled reputation for over 30 years. They had all wonderfully fine voices, and sang glees and part-songs in a manner not easily forgotten by those who had the good fortune to hear them. Mr. G. Brooks (father of Mr. Wm. Brooks, music dealer in King Street), was the conductor, and took the alto part. Mr. Brooks also added to his musical reputation by various compositions. Some of his glees, in fact, are popular to this day, notably "England's Merry Bells," "Fairy Lute," "Moonlight Hour," and "By the Bank." Mr. Brooks was also the compiler of a tune-book called "The Sutton Methodist,"' which consisted of a large selection of anthems, hymns, and Christmas tunes, many of which may still be heard in various places of worship in the locality. Mr. Naylor had a tenor voice, and Mr. Handley was the tenor robusto, whilst Mr. Turner (the father of the now celebrated tenor, Mr. J. W. Turner) was the bass. The above party never really sang before the late Queen Victoria as has been supposed.

Sutton's glee representatives to-day are—Messrs. T. Turner, A. Bryan. A. E. Allsop, and H. J. Charlton—their title being "The Portland Glee Party."

MR. ALBERT W. BROOKS, son of Mr. Wm. Brooks, music seller, of King Street, is a well-known Sutton composer. Under tha nom de plume of "Oscar Allon," he has composed over 100 songs and piano pieces, besides several selections for orchestra, violin and piano, mandoline and piano, etc. Oscar Allon writes for several of the leading London publishers. Oscar Allon's first song, "If I were but a violet blue," was written for, and gained the prize, a competition offered for the best original love song by a Musical Journal. The song, "Doreen," is, perhaps, the most popular and best known of his compositions. Mr. Brooks was born in 1871.


Mr J W Turner

Of all Sutton's musical talent, none have ever reached, nor have even maintained, the town's reputation in the musical sphere, as has Mr. J. W. Turner, whose portrait in the character of "Fra Diavalo" we here submit. He truly stands pre-eminent of Sutton's musical celebrities! And all Sutton is proud of that fact! Mr. Turner, who is the son of the late Mr. J. Turner, one of Sutton's early glee singers was born in High Pavement. Sutton-in-Ashfield, in the year 1842. He had throughout the whole of his life been an excellent singer. Even as a boy he was always in great request. His life had been long and eventful, and he had travelled considerably. At the age of 21, he was a member of a concert party which toured through India and the Far East, and in the sixties Mr. Turner appeared in grand opera at Melbourne. As an operatic singer, he subsequently visited San Francisco and South Africa. In this country he had for many years held a foremost position in operatic circles. For a long time he was identified with the Carl Rosa Company. Since 1885, when he formed an opera company, which gave its first performance in Nottingham, Mr. Turner had toured throughout Great Britain. He had brought pleasure to millions of music-loving people. At one time, Mr. Turner was the owner of the Grand Theatre, Birmingham, but he disposed of it in February of this year to the Moss Syndicate, and on the occasion of Mr. Turner giving his farewell performance at that theatre he was presented with a large, framed, handsomely-illuminated address on behalf of the patrons of the theatre.

Mr. H. HOUSELEY. AMONGST other of Sutton's notable musicians is Mr. H. Houseley, F.R.C.O., who was born about the year 1848, living when a boy in High Pavement. He is the son of Mr. William Houseley, now residing at Basford. For several years he has been principal musician and professor of music of the University of Denver City, Colorado State, and organist and choirmaster at the Cathedral in the same City. He is also the director of the Choral and Operatic Society out there. He has composed several well-known operas, which have been performed in various parts of the State; also pianoforte and vocal compositions. He gained the prize given by the Royal College of Organists (England) for the best voluntary for organ.

Mr. J. NAYLOR. Mr. John Naylor was a noted Sutton cornet player. In 1864, he conducted the band at the Belle Vue (Manchester)  contest which gained First Prize, and also won the gold cornet in the solo prize contest as best cornet player in England.


Mr. Thomas Slack, whose professional name was Hirwen Thomas, was another of Sutton's vocalists who distinguished himself. He was trained in the Royal Academy of Music, London, and he subsequently travelled as principal tenor with Opera Companies in England, America, and South Africa. He gave up operatic work in 1895, and is now a manufacturer of underwear in Walton Street, Sutton. He was born in Sutton in 1858. Mr. Slack's brother—Mr. Robert Slack—is also a tenor singer of note, and has been engaged as solo tenor at Denver Cathedral for over 18 years.


Dr. Briggs is also a distinguished Sutton organist, having obtained the degree of Doctor of Music. He is a son of the late Mr. Jesse Briggs, hosiery manufacturer, formerly of the White Lion Inn (Market Street) and High Pavement, our subject being born at the first-named place about the year 1850. He now lives at Atherston House, Loughborough.


As a model to perseverance and diligence in study none better can be recommended than Mr. W. Collins. Born at Forest Side in 1868, Mr. Collins received his early education at the Mansfield Road Board School, where he became a P.T. He passed the Queen's Scholarship and entered Borough Road College January, 1887. During the two years he was in College, he was first in honours in French and History, second in honours in Latin, and fifth in honours in Mathematics. In January, 1889, he went as headmaster at the British School, Chester, and afterwards he was for 10 years at the Clerkson Street Private School Mansfield. In 1896, he secured the B.A. in First Division in Mathematics and Classics, and in 1899 the Inter. Bachelor of Science, London University. He became headmaster at the Central Council School in 1900, and at the Higher Standard School in 1906. He was returned a member of the Urban District Council at its formation in 1895, of which body he was Chairman in 1908-4, and he was also Chairman of the Gas Committee for six years. Mr. Collins also takes a great delight in both cricket and football.


Another Sutton resident who has gained high distinction in various spheres is Mr. James Victor Nesbitt. Beginning with a local Scholarship in Mansfield, he entered the famous Rugby School, where he remained five years, and on his leaving secured an Open Scholarship in Natural Science at Christ Church, Oxford, of the value of £400. At the final B.A. examinations he was awarded a "First Class" both in Science and Law—thus securing the coveted and rare distinction of a "Double First"—this position carrying with it book prizes of the value of £20. He also gained another prize in 1906 of the value of £15. At the Incorporated Law Society's examination in Constitutional Law and Legal History, April, 1907, Lincoln's Inn. London, out of 134 Candidates, he was awarded first place, with the special prize of £50. In the athletic world, he has also a good record. At Fives, Rackets, Running. Football, and Tennis, as is proved by the numerous Silver Cups, etc., at Ashfield House. During his last year at Rugby, he captained the School Football XV., and for two years he got his Blue in the Oxford University "Rugger" team. He also got his Tennis Blue, representing Oxford against Cambridge in 1906. Mr. Nesbitt has chosen the Legal Profession, and became a member of the Inner Temple in November, 1905. He expects to be "called" to the Bar in 1908.


In 1906, fell the distinction of obtaining first position in the country to a Sutton teacher in the King's Scholarship examination, viz. Mr. Charles Edward Dove, of Wood Street. In his early school days Mr. Dove succeeded in gaining a County Council scholarship which entitled him to a couple of years tuition at the Mansfield Grammar School. For his success in the King's Scholarship examination, the Notts. County Council Education Committee granted him a bonus of £5. He is at present engaged at the Hardwick Street Schools, and proposes entering the Nottingham University College in October next.


THE SUTTON TOWN CLUB was inaugurated about 1882, one of its early grounds being the Langford Wongs in Priestsic Road. It afterwards played on Clarke's Croft, where the Midland (Town) Railway Station now is, and the most memorable matches that were played here were those between Sutton Town and Sutton Zingari—keen rivals in those days! On the occasions when those clubs met interest ran "as high, as high, as could be." and though the "Townsmen" were considered to be the A1 team, the "Zings." invariably held their own! Those were jolly days, "Zings."! What about Greenhalgh's! Some of the chief workers for the good, old "Zings." were—W. Bristol. E Brooks, G. Hibbert, J. Townsend, Geo. Clarke, the brothers Wallett (Harry, Enoch, and Jesse), C. Taylor, C Shaw, J. Brown, E. Slack, C. Harrison. H. Slack, etc.. whilst associated with the Town were—Rev. H. Chambers. Alf. Dove, S. Dove, S. Hickton, C E. Oscroft, H. White. A. H. Allsop, W. Wightinan J. W. Scott, W. Fox, H. Goodall, H. Radford, Eli Gallear, etc. The Zingari used to play on T. Straw's Croft, the Lammas, and also in S. Cudworth's field in Oddicroft Lane. The time came when the Town Club collapsed, and, in response to numerous requests, the Zingari Committee resolved to change their title to the Sutton Town Club, and for many years the field recently bought by Mrs. Clarke in Outram Street was the scene of many exciting and interesting struggles. Past Presidents were Messrs. J. Briggs. junr., C. E Oscroft. G. Stevenson; present president, Dr. Mitchell; past secretaries, Messrs. W. Bristol, J. W. Scott A E Allsop. J Caunt, L Lindley, J. J. Butler; present secretary, Mr. A. Taylor, Stoney Street; past treasurers, Messrs. J. Briggs, junr., J. Armstrong; present treasurer, Mr. W. H. Pepper. In 1905-6 the team won the Mansfield Charity Cup and Notts. League championship, also winning the latter again in 1906-7. They went to their present ground in Redcliffe Street in 1903. The season 1905-6 yielded a profit of £54 on the year's working, and 1906-7 season the sum of £84.

THE SUTTON JUNCTION CLUB was established in 1892. They were Champions of the Mansfield and District League and Winners of the Notts. Junior Cup 1903-4. and Runners-up of that League 1902-3 and 1904-5. They became affiliated to the Notts, and District League 1906-7. Ground, the Meadows (Penn Street). President. Mr. T. Tudsbury; Secretary, Mr. L. Oscroft, Mount Street; Treasurer. Mr. C. Smith.

S. MODWEN'S CHURCH CLUB won the Championship of the Mansfield and Forest Church League 1906-7. and thereby became the holders of a handsome silver cnp. President. Rev. E. H. Perkins; Vice-President, Mr. F. W. Beeley; Secretary, Mr. Frank Bennett, Nesbitt Street; Treasurer, Mr. S. Slack; Committee, Messrs E Hepworth, H. Hibbert, F. Butler, and L. Dixon.

PARISH CHURCH CLUB President, Rev. F. J. Adams, Vicar; Hon. Treasurer, Rev. J. P. Ivens; Hon. Secretary. Mr. H. C. Wright, Kirkby Road.


Whilst excavating in a field, the property of Mr. Walter Straw, of Forest Side, near to S. Michael's Church, the late Mr. John Cornish, in 1893, unearthed several skeletons, one of the skulls of which was in a fair state of preservation; but we cannot definitely state the length of time they had been buried there. The central body was evidently that of a British chieftain, and seven other bodies were buried round him with their feet towards him. The skull of the Chief was abnormally large and thick, and is now is the possession of Dr. Mitchell, and Mr. G. G. Bonser made a sketch of the position of the bodies. They were probably buried before the Roman Invasion, possibly B.C.


This was in bygone times a farmstead, John Clarke (well-known as "Rorker") living there about a century ago. Great alterations have been effected there since then, an addition being made to the dwelling in 1850, and another in 1870. The Assistant Clergy living there now are the Revs. E. H. Perkins and J. P. Ivens. The Bridle Road to the Parish Church formerly ran by the end of the house, and a Footpath ran through the field on which Westfield House now stands, and a Saw Pit stood where those two roads met. i.e., nearly opposite the entrance to the Drive of Westfield House. About 1880, the Assistant Clergy resided in a villa opposite Dr. Porter's residence in Forest Street.


As narrated on page iva., there used to be a Tannery in the district of Langford Wongs, and in support of this we may state that the Police to this day term their "Point" at the junction of the Priestsic, Alfreton, Forest, and Manor thoroughfares as "Tan Vats," but the site of the Vats was near the brook in Carsic Lane.


At the re-christening of the various streets, this am.til. but-very busy channel did not escape the sponsors' notice As fur back as 1743, there lived in the parish a family named Haslam, the head of which commenced the business now carried on by Messrs. S. H. and F. W. Beeley in High Pavement, Mrs. J. Beeley being a descendant of the Haslams. The late Mr. W. Haslam met with satisfactory success in his business, and became the owner of some of the property in the street which bore his name, and several members of that family later becoming long residents there, it is not difficult to imagine how it thus became to be registered as "Haslam's Hill"'—a name which is indelibly stamped on the minds of our older inhabitants. At the re-naming ceremony it was changed to "Mount Street," which title it now bears. Mr. T. G. Buckland's residence was, about 1840. under the command of "John Barleycorn," with the late Mr. W. Ward as landlord.


Some 50 or 60 years ago, a Society under this heading was held at the Nag's Head Inn, Low Street, but was abandoned. Then, after a while, the present Association sprang up. The headquarters were for many years at the Denman's Head Hotel, but now meetings are held at other licensed houses in the town. At one time it could boast of a membership of upwards of 100, but 40 is nearer the mark now. The President is Mr. G. Stevenson; Treasurer, Mr. J. G. Allsop; Solicitor, Mr. H. S. Shacklock; Secretary, Mr. A. E Allsop, Silk Street. Past Secretaries, Messrs. R. and J. P. Adlington, Wood Street.


The following is a list, dating from 1840 to 1907, of those gentlemen who have represented the parish on the above Board:—Mr. Wm. Oates, 1842 to 1879; Rev. Wm. Goodacre, 1842 to 1859; Mr Wm. Beecroft. 1840-1, 1861 to 1871; Mr. Hy. Butterworth, 1840; Mr. Charles Beastall, 1842 to 1845; Mr. George Oscroft, 1858; Mr. Wm. Hepworth, 1859 to 1861; Mr. Jesse Briggs, 1859 to 1861; Mr. Wm. Beeley, 1861 to 1867; Mr. Charles Oscroft, 1867 to 1872 and 1878; Rev. C. Bellairs, 1871; Mr Thos. Stendall, 1872 to 1874 and 1875 to 1877; Mr. G. Limb, 1872 to 1877; Mr. S. Littlewood, 1872 to 1875 and 1878 to 1881; Mr. J. Briggs, 1878 to 1881; Rev. T. B. Adin, 1881 to 1884; Mr. W. M. Oates, J.P., 1880 to 1889; Mr. John Briggs (hosier), 1880 to 1885 and 1898 (present Guardian); Mr. G. Coombe, 1884 to 1890; Mr. S. D. Hibbert, 1885 to 1898; Mr. A. H. Bonser, J.P., C.C., 1888 (present); Mr. J. Pickard, C.C., 1890 to 1901; Mrs Nesbitt, 1896 to 1904; Mr. Jesse Briggs. 1901 to 1907; Mr. C. T. Barratt, 1904 (present): Rev. J. Stephenson, 1907 (present).

Mr. W. Oates was Chairman of the Board many years, and Vice-Chairman 1878; Mr. Goodacre was Vice-Chairman 1851-2, and Chairman 1853-4; Mr. W. M. Oates. Vice-Chairman 1883-4; Mr. A. H. Bonser, Vice-Chairman 1890 to 1892 and 1895 to 1905: Chairman, 1905 (present).

Mr. E. Unwin. J.P., was ex-officio 1840-1.

From 1840 to 1857, the parish was represented by two Guardians, and from 1858 to 1895 by three, and from 1896 to now by four.

Past Medical Officers:—J. J. Valentine, Henry Isaac Lomax, Wm. Edward Powell, Alfred John Harding, and now R. Nesbitt.

Past Assistant Overseers:—Messrs. Charles Beastall, Jeremiah Burrows, Jeremiah Allen, Henry Place. Reuben Tyler, John Haslam. W. J. Kirk, E. B. Jephson, and now J. Beeley (appointed in 1883 )


The Registrars of Births and Deaths for the Sutton parish have been:—Mr. James William Valantine, appointed July, 1837; Mr. Henry Valantine, appointed September. 1844; Mr. John Parsons, appointed November, 1845; Mr. Charles Plumbe. appointed March, 1848; Mr. George Harold, appointed April, 1897; and now Mr. T. T. Charlton, appointed May, 1900 The office is situate in New Street, and is open daily from 10 to 12 a.m., except Sundays and Bank Holidays. It is also open each Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6 to 7. The offices have previously been situate in High Pavement, Market Place, and Victoria Street.

RELIEVING OFFICERS. Subjoined is the list of Relieving Officers:—Mr. Henry Carpenter (1839-40); Mr. Lancelot Twells, appointed February 20th, 1840; Mr. John Parsons, appointed June 6th, 1844; Mr. George Allsop, appointed February 3rd, 1848; Mr. W. J. Kirk, appointed (November 11th. 1873; Mr. John F. Hibbert, appointed March 1st, 1879; and now Mr. John Gamble, appointed September 15th. 1885. The Parochial Office used to be in the Market Place; in Forest Street; in Mount Street; in the old British School (1885); in the small building in Welbeck Street now used by Mr. C. Clayton, boot repairer; and now in Wood Street.


The thoroughfares of Sutton are illuminated at night-time by 277 lamps, of which number 17 are Bray's.


Before the adoption of the Poor Law Amendment Bill, 1834 A.D., forming Unions, which Act was amended 1836-38, 1846-47, each parish had to maintain its own poor, who, in some cases were housed in cottages secured by the Overseers for that special purpose. Sutton, like most other towns, were not unfortunately without its poor, and consequently several cottages in Hardwick Street were "commandeered" for their accommodation. Hence the space of ground at the rear of the old Ebenezer Chapel being called "Workhouse Yard." Under these circumstances, no parish would, if it could possibly avoid it, have cottages built. The large amount of labour, however, which had been imported into Sutton to work the mills were perforced to be housed in cottages very hurriedly erected regardless of sanitary arrangements, air space, or anything else. This would account, in a large measure, to the congested condition in the old part of Sutton, such as in the Idlewells and Devonshire Square district. In 1847, when Mr William Bonser and Mr. James Lindley were Overseers of the Poor. 15 rates of 10d. in the £ were levied for the relief of the poor. It was apparent that this state of affairs could not go on, so the Government Bill forming districts into Unions was one of the finest measures that was ever introduced for the relief of the poor—at any rate, for the rates of Sutton. When the Workhouse at Mansfield was erected, the Workhouse at Sutton ceased to exist.


Formerly, the parish business was conducted by the Vestry, the meetings being held in the ancient Parish Church at the West-end corner of the South Aisle. We have pleasure in printing here a few names of the "inhabitants" and officers, dating from 1776, who then took an interest in parochial matters;—Mr. Butcher (who was chosen Constable in 1776). Wm. Beecroft (grandfather of the present Mr. Beecroft), Clay Fisher. John Clarke, Thomas Dove. John Daubeny. Wm. Chambers. Wm. Bonser, Hy. Morris, Hy. Butterworth, J. Gregory (Churchwardens), S. Adlington, Wm. Kitchen, Wm. Dodson, H. Dove, N. Aked (Overseers), Peter Elliott, Samuel Wass, S. Jackson. F. Shacklock (Collector of Taxes), Hy. Butterworth, William Sampson (Parish Constables). Among the "inhabitants," under which heading those who attended the meetings applied their signatures, were Chas. Beecroft, John Hill. Wm Foulds, Richard Jephson (father of Dr. Jephson), John Clarke. George Shooter, James Lindley, S Brittain, R Judd, R. Keeton, T. Gadsby, John Hawkins, B. Reason, James Foxton, John Sales, S. Hickton. John Lindley, John Wass, Matt Dodson, Jas. Daubeny. J. J. Valentine, W. Haslam, W. Bilson, J. Barratt, T. Wright, S. Chappell, F. Witham. W. and S. Bower, Timothy Hall, R. Tudsbury. John Rhodes G. Penistant, and W. Radford. The meetings on the average were attended by teens of the inhabitants. Then about 1850, a Highway Board was formed, consisting of seven members, the following being members at one period or other:—The Rev. W. B. Stevens (chairman), Messrs. W. Beecroft. S Alvey, S. Dove, C. Aked, J. Tomlinson, and John Pickard. Mr. John Haslam was the first Clerk to the Board and Collector of Poor Rates, followed by Mr. W. J. Kirk in 1862. The meetings were held in the old Parochial Office buildings in the Market Place. Later, this Board was superseded by the old Local Board, and then came the present Council in 1895.


For the purpose of beautifying the roadside, a number of trees were planted at intervals on the Mansfield Road and Hucknall Road about the year 1899.


SUTTON-IN-ASHFIELD and DISTRICT HYGIENIC LAUNDRY Co., LIMITED. This Company was registered on February 2nd, 1906, with a capital of £2,000 in £1 shares. The subscribers are:—F. Tudsbury, Fanny Tudsbury, Priscilla Tudsbury, J. T. Tudsbury, Kate Hibbert, Frank Fowe Hibbert (all of. Eastiield Side), and W. R. Marshall (Manager). Number of Directors 8. Registered Office: The Works, Central Street.

Messrs. F. Tudsbury & Sons, hosiery manufacturers, Eastfield Side; established 1856; number employed, male and female, between 100 and 110. On the site of these works, many years ago, stood a public-house known by the sign of the "Cock and the Garden," the only licensed-house in the vicinity in those days. It was an old wayside inn, and was a favourite spot for the sport of "cock fighting," a sport very prevalent at that period.

Mr. J. Pickard. hosiery manufacturer, Cursham Street; established 1854; number employed, male and female, 50.

Messrs. J. Briggs & Sons, hosiery manufacturers, Cursham Street and Kirkby Road; established 1810; number employed, male and female, upwards of 300.

Mr. H. W. Cooke, hosiery manufacturer, Reform Street and the Old Mill; established 1836; number employed, male and female, upwards of 350.

Messrs I &R. Morley. hosiery manufacturers Penn Street. These works were opened in May, 1880, by the Midland Hosiery Company (now defunct), the present firm taking over the business in 1887. Manager, Mr. A. Grundy; assisted by Messrs. A. E. Broomhead, R Palmer, and W. Clarke. Number employed, over 400, males and females.

Mr. B. Walton, hosiery manufacturer, Stoney Street; established 1837; number employed, male and female, 250.

Messrs. G. Walton & Sons, manufacturers of Shetland goods, double and single-edged lace, High Pavement; established 1856; number employed, male and female, 60.

Messrs. Dove & Clarke, hosiery manufacturers, Priestsic Road; established 1898; number employed, male and female, 50,

Mr. T. Slack, underwear manufacturer, Walton Street; established 1896; number employed, male and female, 40.

Messrs. S. Eden &Sons, Ltd., hosiery manufacturers, the Hermitage Works (formerly of Rutland Street, Nottingham); established 1842; number employed, male and female, 200.

Mr. T. G. Buckland, hand hosiery manufacturer. Mount Street; established 1866; number employed, 18 males.

Mr. J. G Allsop. baker, High Street; established 1878. The business was previously in the hands of the late Mr. J. K. Daubeny, who succeeded his father. Number employed, 6. Mr. Allsop enjoys the distinction of being the oldest tradesman in the town at the present time.

Messrs. S. H. and F. W. Beeley. builders and contractors, and farmers, High Pavement; established 1743; number employed, 45.

Messrs. Samuel Meggitt and Sons, Ltd., manufacturers of fine glues and geHntine. Hamilton Road; established 1837; number employed, 65 males; 65 females.

Mr. H. Shaw, builder and contractor, and brickmaker, Eastfield Side: established 1868; number employed, 50 males; Mr. R. W. Doughty, manager.

Mr.T. Turner, builder and contractor, Hardwick-lane; established 1901; number employed, 10 males.

Mr. A. Walton, joiner, builder, and contractor, Crown Street: established 1900; number employed, 15 males.

Mr. H. Boot, builders' merchant, Forest Street; established 1869.

Mr. J. C. Sampson. J.P, trading as Sampson Bros., mineral manufacturer. Kirkby Road; established 1876; number employed. 20 males.

Mr. A. Marsh, tailor and outfitter. King Street: established 1876: number employed, male and female, 12.

Mr. W. J. Fox, tailor, clothier, outfitter, and boot maker, Outram Street. Sutton, and Nottingham; established 1886; number employed at both places, male and female, 20.

Mr G. J. Hepworth, tailor and outfitter, Low Street, Sutton, and at Shirehrook; established 1897; number employed at Sutton, male and male, 11.

Messrs. Miller & Co., drapers, &c., Marketplace; established 1810; number employed, male and female, between 20 and 30.

Messrs. H. North & Co., tailors and drapers, Low Street; established about 1850; number employed, male and female, 10.

New Hucknall Colliery, sunk 1878; number employed, 1,550. Bentinck Colliery, sank 1894; number employed, 1800. Sutton Colliery, sunk 1878; number employed. 800. The Wharf on the Lammas, Sutton, was opened in 1890.

Summit Colliery, sunk 1887-8; number employed, 1300.

Messrs. Norton & Co., Ltd., shoe and slipper manufacturers. Station Road; established 1899; number employed, male and female, 48.

Messrs. Barringer, Wallis, & Manners, Ltd., chromo lithographers on tin and fancy decorated and novelty makers, Oddicroft Lane; opened 1897; number employed, male and female, 400. These works have been considerably enlarged since the present owners bought the building, about four acres now being used in connection with the works.

Messrs. A. W. Mason & Sons, fruiterers and produce merchants, Outrain Street; established 1893; number employed, 15 males.

Messrs. Jarvis & Sons, monumental masons, &c„ Forest Street; established 1852; number employed, 10 males.

Great Northern Railway, Outram Street; number employed in and about the Station, 21 males.

Midland Railway, Forest Street: number employed in and about the Town and Junction Stations, 84 males.

Sutton Junction Corn and Flour Mills, built in 1867 by the late Mr. W. D. Adlington, of Skegby; sole proprietor, Mr. W. Brook Stevens, of Skegby; number employed, 11 males; clerk and travellers, 2.

Formerly there were two Potteries of coarse earthenware at Eastfield Side belonging to Mr. Walter Straw, where garden pottery and glazed earthenware were manufactured.