QUEEN VICTORIA'S CORONATION.
There is a small minority now in the parish with vivid recollections of the Coronation of the late Queen Victoria in 1838. The auspicious event was celebrated at Sutton by a united gathering of children in the Market Place, who, after singing appropriate hymns and being addressed by the Rev. Wm. Goodacre, supported by Mr. E. Unwin, each received a new penny and n bun in commemoration of the occasion. How interesting it would be 10 see one of those coins now!
Whilst this yard is now "no more," still the name after whom it was called is worthy to be kept "green." The late Mr. William Rhodes, less than half-a-century ago, was one of Sutton's most prominent residents. He was conspicuous for his educational abilities, and in addition to carrying on his business as a surveyor and appraiser, he was an able instructor of youth. He was particularly popular as "a recorder of local events" in his day, and many were the wagers that he was able to decide by his well-kept diary. Mr. Rhodes was the owner of some of the property in the yard which bore his name. Approaching the close of 1901, the yard was the scene of a sad calamity, Mr. Charles Aked, a well-known bag hosier, being discovered by the police in the early hours of the morning burnt to death in his home, which was also considerably damaged by the fire. The small, narrow area was requisitioned for the recent Market Place improvements, and the building belonging to Messrs. Fletcher Bros, now occupies the site.
If any Suttonian were to explore the Lawn Grounds he would doubtless discover some strange subterranean passages—long, narrow, and weird (the end thereto we knoweth not)—underneath Mr. J. D. Fidler's residence, which stands on the site of the Old Hall built by the Unwin Family at the time of their habitation in Sutton about 150 years ago, and which went to ruin many years ago. When and by whom these strange passages were formed, we are without data, but they have all the appearance of having been in existence several ages—probably from the period of the Commonwealth. Now, we wonder whether they did ever afford shelter for any Royalists from the attacks of the Lord Protector!
DENMAN'S HEAD HOTEL.
This old inn was, previous to A.D. 1820, known as the "King's Head," but on the trial of Queen Caroline, the then landlord, W. Cooper, was so much delighted with her defence by Mr. Denman (who was afterwards Lord Justice Denman) that he changed the name to the "Denman's Head" in his honour. The whole country was much excited over this trial, and on her acquittal London was illuminated for three days. This Mr. Cooper was the father of the well-known, handsome, and highly respected surgeon of Mansfield, who was for many years its leading medical practitioner, and who was known all the district round as Dr. Cooper.
This street, off Priestsic Road, was "flamed after the Langforde family, who held the Manor Farm in the 17th century. Anthony Langforde, surgeon, died May 26th, 1672, and was buried in Sutton churchyard. The field from which the street was formed was known as "Langforde Longs," and here the Sutton Town Football Club first played.
Is known by the name of Forest Side as well. It may be stated to be a hamlet in the parish of Sutton, whence it is one mile distant. Less than 40 years ago it was practically cut off from the town, but the adjacent district having rapidly developed the places may now be almost regarded as one. The inhabitants number something like 2,000, partly miners and partly hosiery operatives. Of recent years Messrs. F. Tudsbury and Sons have extended their hosiery works, and a new Laundry industry was opened in 1906. Two earthenware potteries, however, belonging toMr. Walter Straw have been closed. A house by the side of the pottery in Eastfield Side, which stood untenanted a number of years, was said to be haunted. Several new streets have been laid out, Central Street having deprived the inhabitants of their favourite cricket field, which for many years was the scene of some interesting, exciting, and enjoyable matches. Phoenix Street used to be called "The Pan." There are brickworks owned by Messrs. Barke. Mr. W. Straw's residence is built on a site on which formerly stood a windmill, and the Baptists have acquired a site attached to the stackyard belonging to that gentleman for their new place of worship which will be erected shortly. On certain occasions the inhabitants are delighted to speak of themselves as "Little Britain!" The late Mr. R. Tudsbury, senr., opened the Apollo Tavern in 1832. "Little Britain" has given birth to sons who can hold their own in both the educational and commercial spheres of the world, and of whom she is justly proud.
Is a hamlet about a mile from Sutton on the Alfreton Road, containing about 250 people, and within this hamlet is an extra-parochial place called "The Crowtrees," now made a separate parish under 20 Vict. c.19, containing only about 14 inhabitants, including children. They are—Mrs. Clarke, who has an occupiers' vote; Messrs. W. Clarke (overseer) and F. Clarke (sons), who have lodger votes; the Misses Clarke (2); and two farm servants who live in the house. There is also a house below for farm servants who are eligible to vote. Mr. George Bryan, of Wincobank Farm, has also a vote for land in Fulwood parish, as well as the Great Central Railway Company in respect of line of main railway and colliery branch, and the New Hucknall and South Normanton Colliery Companies for coal output. The assistant overseer and rate collector is Mr. J. G. Wharmby, Bentinck Street, Sutton-in-Ashfleld. "Crowtrees" is the site of an ancient religious house, ia connection with some foreign monastery, of which, however, we find no mention in Dugdale's Monasticon. Fulwood is called in the Perambulation of the Forest taken in Henry VIII's reign. "The Coppice of the Lord the King called ffulwood;" and it may be noticed amongst the titles of the Dukes of Newcastle is that "Steward, Keeper, and Guardian of the Park of Folewood. in the county of Nottingham;" and the family still enjoy a small estate there. "The Crowtrees" is now the property of the Duke of Portland.
LAWN TENNIS CLUB.
When this Club was established in 1892 it had a membership of between 70 and 80, but now that number has been reduced to 50, including the additional 10 new members enrolled in 1906, when there was a revival of interest in the matters of the Club. The President is Mr. A. Briggs; treasurer, Mr. C. Swire; and secretaries, Messrs. W. Oates and W. L. North. The ground is situate near to Forest Lodge, off Forest Street.
Is famous as being the one in which the famous Dr. Jephson was born. His fame us a Society Doctor was most extensive, and he was practically the founder of the beautiful town of Leamington, in Warwickshire. His statue may be seen in the lovely gardens he presented to that place, and Sherwood House, the residence of Mr. C. T. Barrett, was built by him and used to be called Leamington Hall. By indefatigable industry, and by remarkable skill and intellingence, he rose to the highest eminence in his profession, and by his generosity and kindness of heart gained for himself the esteem of the whole neighbourhood in which he resided. High Street was also the residence at one time of the Rev. Lemuel Take, a Congregational Minister, who during the great Rebellion became Vicar of Sutton. His grave is unknown, but in the Parish Registers he is described as "Presbyter," or Priest, and is stated by "Calamy" to have been blind. The premises now occupied by Mr. J. G. Allsop used to be occupied by the late Mr. J. K. Daubeny, who came off an old Sutton family once resident on Devonshire Square. He was elected the parishioners' warden in 1878, along with the late Mr. George White as the Vicar's warden for Sutton, and the late Mr. Thomas Robinson, of Huthwaite. who was first elected the Vicar's warden in 1867. Attached to the Red, White, and Blue Inn there formerly was a framesmith's shop, which was afterwards converted into a provision shop, and was tenanted by the late Mr. R. Keeley, who died at the Denman's Head Hotel January 8th, 1907, where he hnd previously resided. The old beerhouse was once upon a time kept by the late Mr. Samuel Shepherd, a well-known host in his day, the now vanished Orchard at the rear being called after him. The inn was the oldest building in the street, having been erected about the time of King James II.
DR. SPENCER T. HALL.
About 1813 was born in Sutton the late Dr. Spencer T. Hall, well-known in the literary world by his many publications, both in prose and verse, a true lover and admirer of nature, as is exhibited in every page of his works. Prior to turning his attention to his literary avocation, he was in business as a printer, bookbinder, bookseller, and stationer in the Market Place, and in 1838 he published a "History of Sutton-in-Ashfield," a book of 12 pages, and which is incorporated in this work. A number of Mr. Hall's publications may be found in the "reference department" at the Sutton Free Library, the books having been substantially rebound and generously presented to that institute by Mr. G. G. Bonser, of Kirkstede, Sutton. It is believed that the gifted and popular author was born in a lowly cottage which once stood on the site now occupied by the cottage tenanted by Mrs. Oldham in Wood's Hill, or at the corner of Brook Street, and some of his most beautiful poetry was written upon this site, perhaps the most beautiful he ever wrote. A Mr. Oldham married a sister of Dr. S. Timothy Hall, who received his second name from an uncle who was a farmer, the footpath to Coxmoor known as "Timmy's Gorses" is so named from being on his farm. The cottage in Brook Street was probably built A.D. 1700, but its disappearance certainly broke a last link with any picturesqueness that may have existed in Sutton. Just in front of the cottage ran the brook (river Idle) with its constant stream of pure water, horse cress and yellow bulbs (blobs they were called) growing all along its course, while crimson-breasted stickle-backs, fresh water shrimps and fish called "bullheads" abounded. Mr. Hall lies in Blackpool cemetery, a stone erected by Mr. C. Plumbe marking the spot.
PATRON OF SUTTON VICARAGE.
The Duke of Devonshire. Lay Impropriator: William John Arthur Charles James Cavendish-Bentinck, Sixth Duke of Portland. Diocese of Southwell,: Bishop Hoskyns, who succeeded Dr. Biddings, first Bishop of Southwell. Sutton was formerly in the Lincoln Diocese.
Is a parish in no way connected with Sutton, except formerly in Church matters, the parishioners having acquired a right to burial nnd marriage at Sutton. It is the last parish in the county of Nottingham in this direction. There is a tradition amongst the people that a Church was formerly commenced here on the site of the old windmill, but that it was never finished. In 1867 a commodious National School was built by the late Rev. Charles Bellairs (Vicar of Sutton), on a piece of land presented by the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon, who at the same time gave £460 towards the building. Divine service was formerly held twice every Sunday in this school, which is lioensed for the purpose— the afternoon service being conducted by the then Vicar of Sutton, or one of the curates, and that in the evening by Mr. C. B. Beecroft, the Lay Reader of Sutton Church. In 1873 a sum of money was raised, through the liberality of the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon, the Hon. C. L. Lyttelton, Lord Robartes, Mr. W. H. Gladstone, M.P., Rev. C. H. Prance, and others, for the purpose of providing a curate for Huthwaite, and the result has been highly gratifying. A commodious Church was built, the Rev. J. B. Hyde, Rector of Kirk Ireton, having, when Vicar of Sutton in 1898, initiated the building scheme, and on Satrurday, November 22nd. 1902, the foundation stone of the sacred edifice was laid by her Grace the Duchess of Portland, who was accompanied by the Duke, who gave £500. On Saturday, December 12th, 1903, the Church was opened and dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Southwell (Dr. Ridding), and on Saturday, November 4th, 1906, the Church was consecrated by the Bishop of Derby. In April, 1906, Huthwaite was made a district chapelry, and the patronage of the living then falling to the Vicar of Sutton, the Rev. F. J. Adams offered it to the Rev. F. N. Beswick, who went to Huthwaite in 1900. In July, 1906, the rev. gentleman was instituted Vicar of Huthwaite by the Bishop of Derby (Dr. Were). In 1907, Hucknall Huthwaite had its name changed to "Huthwaite" only, and in the same year the holdiug of the annual feast was altered from the middle of July to the first week in September.
Robert Nesbitt L.R.C.P.L. and L.M. (1877), L.R.C.S.I. (1876); Medical Officer of Health for Sutton; High Pavement, Sutton.
Edgar Mitchell, M.D., Durh. (1894), M.B.B.S. (1892), B.Hy. (1894), D.P.H. (1901), Hon. Surgeon to Mansfield Hospital; Osman House, High Pavement, Sutton.
Herdman Porter, M.B., Ch.B., Edna. (1902), Forest Street, Sutton-in-Ashfield.
Arthur Durance, M.R.C.S., L.R C.P., London (1899), New Cross, Sutton-in-Ashfield.
James Waters, L.S.A., L R.C.P. (1900), New Cross, Sutton.
Dr. Hamilton, Dr. Houldsworth, Dr. Littlewood, Dr. Tweedie, Dr. Banks, Dr. Saunderson, Dr. Standen, Dr. Norman, and Dr. Farman also formerly resided at Sutton.
The first Confirmation ever known in the parish was held by the Bishop of Lincoln in 1869, when 96 persons were confirmed.
INCUMBENTS OF SUTTON.
The first incumbent of whom we have any notice was the Rev. Mr. Tulke, who was ejected in 1662, and became an Independent minister. The next on record is the Rev. Lawrence Sterne (supposing him ever to have really been incumbent of this place), great grandson of Dr. Richard Sterne, Archbishop of York, 1683, whose family was connected with Mansfield. He was born 1713, and died 1768, and was buried at St. George's, Hanover Square. His great works were Tristram Shandy and the Sentimental Journey.
The Rev. John Green was incumbent from 1736 to 1767, and was succeeded by the Rev. James Browne, who continued as incumbent till 1774, when he died of fever, and was succeeded by the Rev. Thomas Hurt, who died in 1823, and is buried in the church yard, when the Rev. William Goodacre became incumbent, being also incumbent of Skegby and of Mansfield Woodhouse— he died 1859 and was buried at Mansfield Woodhouse. The Rev. William Brooke Stevens (who had been his Curate 22 years) then became Incumbent, which charge he held seven years, and died somewhat suddenly October 20th, 1866, and was buried near the Chancel end, a granite monument being erected over his grave. He was succeeded by the late Rev. C. Bellairs, who was presented to the Vicarage by the Duke of Devonshire, February, 1867. For other Incumbents see page 13.
SUTTON CLERGY IN 1907.
Rev. F. J. Adams, M.A., Vicar; came from S. Thomas' Church, Derby, to Sutton. September, 1905, succeeding the Rev. W. H. Williams, who went to S. Wilfrid's, North Muskham (Newark).
Rev. Ernest Howard Perkins, of Queen's College, Birmingham, Ordained Deacon 1904. Curate 1904-7.
Rev. John Philip Ivens, of Scholae Cancellarie, Lincoln. Ordained Deacon 1905. Formerly Curate of S. Jude's, South Shields. Curate 1906-7.
Rev. Charles Henry North Ivens, of Scholae Cancellarie, Lincoln, now Curate of S. Peter's, Mansfield; formerly Curate of S. Thomas', Derby; was Curate 1905-6.
Rev. E. C. Bartrnm, Curate of S. Paul's, Beckenham (Kent), Curate of S. Michael's, September, 1907.
The Rev. A. W. Bell, who was Curate of S. Modwen's 1893-98, is now Vicar of Basford. He was Curate at Scarborough 1898-1901. He secured his M.A. in 1897.
CURATES DURING THE INCUMBENCY OF THE LATE Rev. C. BELLAIRS:
Honourable John Marsham, son of the Earl of Romney, was Curate 1867-8.
Henry Williams, afterwards Curate of Flintham, was Curate 1868-9.
Ferdinand Parminter. Precentor of Cape Town Cathedral, was Curate 1869-70-71-72.
Clement Howard Prance, formerly Vicar of Annesley, was Curate 1870-1.
Edward Ransford, of St. John's College, Cambridge; ordained Detoon 1864; became Curate of Sutton 1872.
Frederick Walford Bellairs, B.A., Magdalen College, Oxford; 2nd Class Math. Mod.; became Curate 1867, having previously been Curate of Buckley Mountain.
Mr. C. B. Beecroft was publicly admitted and licensed a Lay Reader by the Bishop Suffragan (Rev. H. Mackenzie, D.D.), 1873.
SICK NURSING ASSOCIATION.
One of the most useful Associations in the parish is doubtless the above. It has a Committee of 12 ladies, as follows:—Mrs. Adams, Mrs. J. G. Allsop, Mrs. A. H. Bonser, Mrs. C. B. Beecroft, Miss Briggs, Mrs. Grundy, Mrs. E. S Buck, Mrs. Miller, Mrs. C. H. Kitchen, Mrs. Needham, Mrs. Stephenson, and Miss Tudsbury. These take a very deep interest in the well-being of the Association. Mrs. C. H. Kitchen (with the aid of her husband) acts as Secretary, and gives every satisfaction. Mrs. Littlewood, who passed away on June 1st, 1904, was an active member of the Committee, acting as the Association's President for seven years. In Nurse Robinson, the Association has an energetic and painstaking Nurse, and one who attends to her duties in a fair and impartial manner, and thus has won the esteem and appreciation of the whole inhabitants. His Grace the Duke of Portland, in addition to forwarding a quota of "The Welbeck Fund," subscribes a sum annually of £10 towards the funds of the Association, and each year the ladies of the Committee make a "house-to-house collection" on behalf of the funds, there being something like 1.267 of the inhabitants supporting the institution in this way. The Association was inaugurated in 1896, the first public meeting to consider the subject being held at the instance of the Sutton Friendly Societies' Council in the Church Street Council School in that year.
This Society was formed in 1903, and has now a membership of 70. The Secretary is Mr. E. E Bishop. Kirkby Road; President, Mr. G. W. Briggs; treasurer, Mr. H. Wroughton. Past officers: Messrs. Smith and Wright (secretaries), Mr. C. T. Barrett (president), and Mr. J. G. Wharmby (treasurer). The headquarters is the Railway Inn, the membership being 1s. per annum. Monthly shows amongst the members are held at the headquarters, and an annual one is also held, but the financial suocess attending the latter has not yet been so great as could have been desired. Half-a-century ago or so, a similar society used to exist, and was for a number of years a popular and useful organisation, but at length misfortune knocking at its door, it was abandoned. The exhibitions were held on the Lawn Grounds. Those acting as secretaries for that society at different periods were Messrs. W. Butler, E. Bonser, G. W. Owen, and Mc W. Bishop.
There used to exist an Agricultural Society in the town, but failing to meet with sufficient financial success, it was likewise eventually relinquished. The shows used to be also held on the Lawn Grounds, and Messrs. J. Mart and J. G. Allsop performed the secretarial duties on different occasions.
This building, which is adjacent to the Conservative and Unionist Working-Men's Club in Forest Street, was opened October, 1905. It is constructed of wood and corrugated iron, and stands on a site which was formerly occupied by three old cottages and tenanted by Mr. J. Straw, Mrs. Dove, and Mr. "Bob" Green. The dimensions of the building are 65ft. wide by 35ft. deep, and the length 120ft. The prosoenium opening is 28ft., and the height 20ft. Its seating accommodation is for 1000 people. It was erected by Captain Clayton, who subsequently sold it (in conjunction with the Grand Theatre, Mansfield) to the Mansfield, Sutton, and District Theatres' Company, Ltd.—a company formed purely of local gentlemen.
On the 3rd of September, 1661, King Charles II. at the head of a Scotch army, was defeated at Worcester, and his men killed, taken prisoners and sold to America, or compelled to return home with speed and secresy. A party of them chancing to come to Sutton, had to pass along the road towards the Church, which then lay through the yard occupied by Mr. John Clark, farmer, then in the possession of one of Oliver Cromwell's captains, who determined upon intercepting them. For this purpose, at one end of the yard he raised a barricade of ploughs, harrows, wains, etc., and on their approach he sallied out with a party of armed attendants, and closed upon them behind. The unhappy Scots defended themselves bravely, but 12 of them were killed; and the officious captain died soon after of his wounds. In the year 1774, on the vault at the back of the Church being opened for W. Unwin, Esq., 12 skeletons were found arranged together; and as in former times none but outcasts and strangers were buried behind the Church, these it is supposed were the remains of the twelve poor Scotchmen.
The following is a list of Sutton carriers in 1838:—To Nottingham: The Mail-Gig (daily) at a quarter to Eleven.—The Sherwood Forester Van (J. Jephson) from the Swan (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays), at a quarter past Six a.m.—S. Bailey's Van, from the Black Bull (Wednesdays and Saturdays) at a quarter past Six a.m.—Thos. Wilson's Waggon, from the Brick and Tile Inn (Wednesdays and Saturdays) at Five a.m. To Mansfield: Dennis Whetton's Cart, at half-past Nine a.m.; and the Mail-Gig at Four p.m. daily. To Alfreton and Derby: J. Weston's Cart, from the White Lion, every Friday morning, at Nine o'clock; Kemp and Smith, Blue Bell, every Thursday afternoon, at Three o'clock.
EQUITABLE LINE OF DEMARKATION.
We have pleasure in quoting the following from the late Dr. Spencer T. Hall's "History of Sutton," published in 1838:—"The parish, situated in the Hundred of North Broxtowe, on the western confines of Sherwood Forest, and in the northern part of Ashfield, contains 8,861 acres, and 12 perches of land; is agreeably diversified with hill and dale—wood and water; and several of its eminences (of which the loftiest is Cocks-moor) command views of the North Peak, in Derbyshire; the Wolds of Yorkshire; Charn-wood Forest, in Leicestershire; and Lincoln Cathedral—with a great variety of intermediate scenery, including several wild remnants of Sherwood Forest, Hardwick Hall and Park, the town of Mansfield, aud innumerable villages, churches, villas, cots, mill-streams, and plantations, scattered in delightful contrast. The township consisting of three distinct portions (now denominated "The Town" in the centre; "Smedley's Buildings" and "The Woodhouse" on the west; and "Eastfield" on the east) is situated on both sides of a stream, tributary to the river Man (or Maun), rising not far from a place called Willow-bridge, on the foot road to Fulwood, which flowing directly east, falls into that river at the Cotton-works. By this stream, the town is so nearly equally divided into two parts, that the two overseers of the poor often mutually agree to collect the rates, one on either sides, considering it an equitable line of demarkation."
A strike of workmen in the coal industry practically throughout the English coal-fields occurred in 1893, extending several months and causing great hardships to many families.