Worksop Manor

WORKSOP Manor, as previously stated, was formerly the seat of the ancient Lords of Worksop. It descended by marriage to the Duke of Norfolk, in whose family it remained until 1840, when the entail was cut off, and the estate was sold to the then Duke of Newcastle for £375,000, who shortly afterwards commenced pulling down the mansion.

At the top of Park Street is the entrance to the Manor Park, which presents a landscape rich in every variety of sylvan scenery. Here, the grand old oaks, beeches, firs and cedars, arranged in every variety of tint, and standing on turfy plain and rising mounds, and throwing their shadows so deeply over the green glades, form a picture which will amply repay a visit.

Within a short distance of the house, there is a beautiful sweep of woodland scenery studding the "Manor Hills" on the left, at the foot of which the Castle Farm, with its gothic and embattled parapet, forms an object at once striking and picturesque; still further to the left may be seen the curling smoke from the "Cottage," formerly the keeper’s house. The woods surrounding this delightful little spot are very beautiful, particularly the fine beech wood, which has been not inappropriately named the "Druid’s Temple."

There is also the "Lover’s Walk," a narrow path leading down into the wood, with hills rising on each side of this walk. On the one side it is thickly hung with the rich dark laurel, and on the other, rise tall and towering trees of various kinds. This path winds round until it brings us into the "Plain Piece," a portion of well-sheltered ground of considerable extent, which for some time has been the yearly scene of the encampment and manoeuvres of the 1st Administrative Battalion of the Notts. Rifle Volunteers.

The wood on the north-west side of the Park commonly known as the "Menageries" contains a great variety of beautiful trees including the acacia, cedar, yew, tulip tree, and fine specimens of the rhododendron, but its miniature lakes and pleasant walks, which formerly added charms to this sequestered spot, are now uncared for, and it may at the present day well be designated by its more ancient name of the "Wilderness."

Proceeding forwards on the carriage road, and on approaching the Mansion, we come to the large iron gates under the clock house through which we enter the extensive court-yard. The buildings on the left consist of what remains of the old mansion. To the right are the extensive stables, coach houses, &c. The beautiful screen of light architecture in front is well deserving notice. The iron gates in this screen lead to the north front of what remains of the mansion. After the work of demolition had removed the main building, leaving the east court, or the servants’ offices intact, a new portion, consisting of drawing-room, billiard-room, &c., &c., was built, and the ground on which the former house stood was converted into a conservatory and terrace.

The gardens, which are situated on the north of the house, are extensive and are well kept.

Worksop Manor, c.1900.
Worksop Manor, c.1900.