The REV. H. R. PITMAN has a stained-glass window erected to his memory, with views of the Good Shepherd, and Christ the Light of the World. Underneath is the inscription that Mr. Pitman was for 53 years vicar of the parish. He died in 1902, leaving a good reputation for thorough courtesy, a kindly Christian spirit, and largely contributing to the support of the Day and Sunday Schools. A singular coincidence of events is told by him. When the Church was restored, 1859, all except the tower, Mr. Pitman went to London to obtain the services of Bishop Wilberforce to preach at the re-opening. While there the tower suddenly fell, crushed by its own weight. A further restoration was made in 1900, and when completed a fire broke out and destroyed chancel, organ, etc. This was restored, largely at the cost and under the direction of the Duke of Newcastle, and the day before the re-opening Mr. Pitman died. His son and daughter were accomplished artists.

There is a window to the memory of his father, the Rev. J. B. Pitman, Incumbent of Kensington, and to Miss Pitman.

AMOS BEXON was a bleacher, carrying on the business formerly belonging to Joseph Burton, and as such was a good employer, respected by his workpeople. He was a useful Town Councillor for many years, and was made an Alderman. He was a zealous worker in religious circles, was kindhearted, accustomed to visit the sick, and was generous. He died in 1909,  aged 74. His partner, Mr. Homer, is spending his retirement in active usefulness.

RICHARD BIRCH SPENCER was for 38 years Clerk to the Guardians. He was also Clerk to the Local Board, Registrar of Births and Deaths, and had many other offices. He was active and reliable, with a full knowledge of his duties, and with a cheerful and affable manner. He died in 1880, aged 62.

CHARLES J. Cox was a bleacher and large employer of labour. There is in the Church a stained-glass window erected by his children as a tolcen of affection. He died in 1910,  aged 77.

MARY MARLOW, the mother of Councillor Marlow, voluntarily undertook a very important work, for she never received any pay, but for 50 years she held herself ready at a moments notice to do the office of mid-wife, going to any part of the parish where she could render help. She died in 1878, aged 70.

Couples. There are many worthy couples whom elderly people will remember with pleasure as worthies, such as James Bramley and his wife, who carried on a Druggists business, and were amiable members of the Society of Friends; Francis Wakefield and Sarah  his wife, who the living. He was an enthusiastic Freemason, of which paternity he became the "Father" or senior member, but being of a retiring disposition he shrank from public or civic offices. He died in 1888, aged 80.

Rev. MacCallan.
Rev. MacCallan.

The REV. J. F. MACALLAN, M.A., was Vicar of New Basford from 1868 to 1883. He was a man of great spiritual and mental gifts, active, cheerful, sympathetic, large-hearted, broad-minded, and his name is a household word to this day. While he was Vicar the nave of the present Church was added, and the school enlarged. He was an active member of the Basford, and afterwards of the Nottingham School Board. He died in 1883, aged 50. A tablet tells of his faithfulness, usefulness, unselfishness and energy.

His successor was the Rev. Wm. Banks, M.A., late Archdeacon of Richmond, and now Residentiary Canon of Canterbury, of which Cathedral he has published a history. Mr. Danks was Mrs. MacCallan's brother, and son of Mr. Thomas Danks.

JAMES SHIPSTONE was a brewer, and was one of the active office bearers of the Wesleyan body in New Basford, and one of the principal donors to the building of their Church. He was an earnest, simple-hearted and useful man. He died in 1897, aged 75. One of his sons (John) entered the Wesleyan ministry, and went as a missionary to Ceylon, where about 1880, he died.

JOHN SPRAY was a lace manufacturer. He served on the Board of Guardians many years. He was a man highly respected. He died in 1871, aged 63. His son, Joseph Spray, succeeded him. He served with distinction in the early days of the Robin Hoods, and was a very able Methodist preacher. He died six weeks after his father, aged 42.

JAMES CARGILL was a schoolmaster in New Basford, and in 1861 he built the school called Eland School, for it was near to the site of old Eland Hall. It is now a monumental workshop. Many business men who attended his school speak highly of his influence for good. "He was" says Dr. Dyson, F.E.S., " a good old-fashioned schoolmaster, fond of his boys, and teaching them on the sound wholesome lines of trying to make them think" (see page 128). He died in 1894, aged 78. His assistant for 25 years was Herbert Smedley. His brother, John Cargill, was a builder of many prominent buildings.

MARMADUKE MILLER, of New Basford, in 1828 made improvements in narrow edgings, and in greater widths, and much superior patterns. In 1882 he effected further improvements whereby pusher tattings were produced. It may be here noted that he and his family, brought up amid noisy machinery, were thoroughly musical, and this continued in three generations.

IRA MILLER, brother of the foregoing, and his wife, were examples of quiet usefulness. They and their son, who is next named, rest in the same grave in the Basford cemetery. He died in 1876, aged 74.

The REV. MARMADUKE MILLER spent his early years in New Basford, where old friends tell of his mischievous, or boyish tricks. After his schooldays he worked as a threader in a lace factory. As a young man he was studious, read and thought much, preached his first sermon in Palm Street Chapel, became a minister, was mighty in eloquence, a leading light in his denomination. He died at Manchester 1889, aged 61. A vast concourse of people attended the funeral, and there were more than 30 carriages.

CHARLES FORTH was a minister of Palm Street Chapel. Circumstances arose wherein he deemed it to be his duty to be faithful at all hazards, and this involved the loss of support, whereupon he resigned his office, but he was very shortly rewarded with the appointment of Registrar of Births and Deaths for the Basford district, and to this he added trading as a drysalter, continuing his religious work as a local preacher. He was for a number of years a member of the Town Council, for Broxtowe Ward, and he took part in various educational and social works in the city. He was a very thoughtful, large-hearted man of well cultivated attainments, generous in giving. He died in 1909, in his 85th year.

EDWARD GOLDSCHMIDT was a silk merchant and throwster, and a Jacquard card and box manufacturer. He became a Town Councillor in 1870, and six years later an Alderman, and in 1881 and 1889 he was Mayor. He was chairman of the Finance Committee for 12 years. He took great interest in promoting the scheme for the University College, and in carrying it through the Council, and as chairman of the Free Libraries and Museum Committees he turned the first sod when the building began, and he became the first chairman of the College Committee. He was for a number of years vice and acting chairman of the governing body of the High School. He died in 1903, aged 70.

THOMAS CUTTS was born of poor parents, and very early in life was sent to work at the lace making. But from his earliest years he worked hard to gain an education, and finally took his diploma as a member of the Pharmacutical Society, and entered the drug trade in New Basford, and for more than thirty years he held an honourable position as one who was respected and trusted by all who knew him. Also for twenty years he held the position of voluntary pastor of the Baptist Church at Whitemoor, which still flourishes as a witness to his self-sacrificing zeal for the peoples' good. He died in 1884, in his 71st year.

A GROUP. Among many useful men who laboured for the good of their fellows may be named MATTHEW CHADBOURNE, a watchman; THOMAS SMEDLEY, a butcher, who were for many years local preachers, and practically founders of the Primitive Methodist cause, New Basford; LUKE CLAY, a twisthand, who helped to form the public library, should be also named.

WILLIAM H. PARKER, for 35 years has been superintendent of the Chelsea Street Baptist Sunday School, and secretary of the church. For 30 years he has at each anniversary composed a special hymn. He, in 1882, published a small volume of poems entitled "Princess Alice," copies of which were gratefully accepted by Her Majesty Queen Victoria, the then Prince of Wales, and others. His hymns are in use the world over, while his character and services are alike appreciated.

Basford House (photo: A Nicholson, 2005).
Basford House, formerly known as the Manor House, dates from the early 18th century (photo: A Nicholson, 2005).

BASFORD HOUSE, where "Festus" was written, has the, date on one of the spouts (1730), but the house is believed to be older than that date. The chief rooms are beautifully panelled. The ironwork in front is a good specimen of local work. The house is said to have been originally in the Musters family. Mr. Thomas Bailey died there, and was buried in the cemetery opposite. The garden has been much curtailed by the Railway Company.