FRANCIS BUTCHER GILL lived in the house west of the church a number of years, and owned and carried on the Silk Mill between the proprietorship of Mr. Lowe and Mr. Watson. He was Sheriff in 1888, but was a man of quiet and retiring disposition, and very useful as a philanthropist. In 1870 he founded a charity with £84,793, vested in twelve trustees, the income to be devoted to pensions of £20each per annum to unmarried widows and fatherless maiden daughters of clergymen, or of professional persons, or others who have occupied a like position in society. Members of the Church of England are usually preferred. There are sixty-nine pensioners, and the changes are about four per year. Mr. F. Wadswortb, Weekday Cross, is clerk to the trustees. Mr. Gill also left £30 a year payable to the Vicar of Christ Church, New Radford, in aid of a Scripture Eeader, etc. He died in 1884, aged 76.

The Rev. JOHN HUDSTON was an example of how a young man may, even under disadvantageous circumstances, educate and elevate himself, for when he was born, in 1812. the facilities for education in Beeston were small. His father, James Hudston (who died in 1866, aged 87), was for sixty years a local preacher of the Methodist New Connexion, and may be described as a puritan in taste and demeanour. There is a stained-glass window to the memory of his wife and himself in the City Temple, London, and his son John, becoming a local preacher (he preached at Attenborough when eighteen), was in 1833 admitted to the ministry, in which he continued fifty-eight years. He was in 1853 elected President of the Conference, a Guardian Representative in 1867, editor of the Connexional magazine and book steward in 1874, and for some years he edited "The Methodist Quarterly." Because of his interest in young men of piety and promise he was appointed Theological secretary, which office he held for the long period of thirty-two years, discharging the duties with fidelity and fatherly kindness. In the History of the Denomination it is stated "His pulpit ministrations and administrative powers were highly appreciated. His preaching was expository, but not coldly intellectual. He knew how to speak a word in season to him that is weary." He paid special attention to the aged poor, and in encouraging the young. He intended to return to Beeston, and so bought the house on the east side of Mr. Roberts', where he had been brought up, but he died at Liverpool (where his ministry had been particularly successful) in 1888, aged 76.

WM. FK. WALLETT, commonly called the Queen's Jester, resided at Beeston many years. An epitome of the episodes in the career of that genial showman may be seen in No. 8 of the "Lions of Lambkinville" series by Cedric Bonnell, reprinted from the Nottm. Daily Express, March 1st. 1904. He published through Bemrose & Son an autobiography, the introduction to which is dated from Spring Villa, Beeston, Notts., All Fools' Day, 1st April, 1870, showing many ups and downs. He was rich in Shakesperian " wise-saws and modern instances." In his best days he was not a clown, or a buffoon, but a high moral teacher, and was worthy of the name of Queen's Jester. Some years of retirement followed, and he sank under a cloud through yielding to the appetite for drink. He died at Beeston in 1892, aged 85, and was buried in the Nottingham General Cemetery. The following alliterative acrostic may amuse the children to recite. It was written by Albert Smith, the author of "Christopher Tadpole,"

Wallett, wonder-working wit, with thy wealth of waggery,
Freshly flung from fun-fraught founts, from thy face fate's frowning flee.
With thy wedded wit and wisdom woe's-wan wrinkles wane away,
At thine apt and arch allusions—antidotes to care's array—
Laughter-loving lieges listen, loudly lauding laughter's lord :
Long, long live then, lightly lifting melancholy's load abhorr'd.
Ever eloquent, enchanting, ever Ennui's enemy,
Thrilling, thralling thronging thousands with gay trick and travesty,
Throned in triumph, motley mentor, Minerva, Momus meet in thee.

Edward J. Lowe.
Edward J. Lowe.

EDWARD J. LOWE was a son Alfred J. Lowe, Esq., J.P., of Highfield House, where in 1825 he was born, and where in 1840 he began his daily scientific observations, being then 15 years of age. In 1846 he published "A Treatise on Atmospheric Phenomena."

In 1852 he published his book, "The Climate of Notts.," and in 1853 "The Conchology of Nottingham." A chapter in "Rambles round Nottingham "gives illustrations of the shells collected and noted by him, with other information. He had the house called Broadgate House specially built for an observatory, the roof being adapted for instruments to rest and work, and here the famous Lawson astronomical instruments were, in 1855, brought and fixed. His meteorological observations formed the basis of the records of the weather published daily in The Times newspaper. He, jointly with Mr. Scofferon, in 1860, wrote "Practical Meteorology," being one of the "Circle of the Sciences" series. He was one of the founders of the Royal Meteorological Society; he invented the powder tests for ozone; he was the leading authority on British Ferns. He wrote "The Natural History of British Ferns," "New and Bare Ferns," 1861-2; "British Grasses" was published in 1858. "He was, says Notts. Worthies, the first to point out the convergence of meteors to a point in the heavens." His last book was "Natural Phenomena and Chronology of the Seasons," 1870. In 1882 he went to reside near Chepstow. He was a Fellow of the Royal, the Royal Astronomical, the Linnean, the Zoological, the Geological, Royal Horticultural, and the Royal Meteorological Societies. He was a J.P. and D.L. of Notts, and Monmouth. He died in 1900.

Colonel A. E. Lawson Lowe, F.S.A., was son of the above, and was born in the house opposite to the Beeston Silk Mill, now the Conservative Club. He was a diligent and accomplished scholar, and an able antiquarian. He was the author of "Historical Records of the Royal Sherwood Foresters" and commenced—but was not able to proceed with—"The History of Broxtowe Hundred." His early death in 1888 was lamented.

Mr. Hugh L. P. Lowe, of Blagden House, Stoke Bishop, a son of Mr. E. J. Lowe (who has kindly supplied the photo) has the tooth of a mammoth elephant which was dredged out of the Trent at Beeston. and the Ancient British Sword found in the lake of Highfield House (the lake being partly in Beeston parish) was given by Mr. Lowe to the Nottingham Castle Museum.

It may be mentioned here that another member of the Lowe family, Mr. Sydney Lowe, lived in the house which is now the "Commercial Inn."

Henry J. Pearson.Henry J. Pearson.

HENRY J. PEARSON commenced business life with Robert Foster, and lived in Broadgate. He afterwards with the co-operation of his youngest brother, Lewis Pearson, formed the Beeston Foundery Co. Ltd., whose operations he largely extended. He was an ardent student of bird life, possessed one of the finest collections of Arctic birds and eggs, and wrote books thereon, one being "Beyond Petsora Eastward," & another "Three Summers among the Birds in Russian Lapland.'' He was a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, the British Ornithological Society, the Royal Horticultural Society, etc. He took an active part in the Nottingham Convalescent Homes, the Hospital for Women, in Castle Gate, etc. He gave £1,000 towards the Beeston Recreation Ground. He died in 1913 in Egypt, and the body was the following year interred in Attenborough Churchyard. There is a memorial window in Bramcote Church, with representations of Moses, the Lawgiver, and Christ the Good Shepherd. He was a man of refined tastes, combined with great business energy and force of character, and he largely increased employment in the parish.

THE FELLOWS FAMILY has long been prominent, and although it is now a departed name in Beeston, yet it is perpetuated in the Church adornment by Mr. C. T. Fellows, and memorials of other members of the family. Mr. Samuel Fellows was Sheriff. Alderman and Coroner of Nottingham, and was Mayor (1755). Mr. John Fellows held the same offices (except the Coronership) being Mayor 1775 and 1782. His son John held the same offices, being Mayor in 1790. He founded the Bank in 1808, and a copper taken was found in perfect condition in 1915, when the "Star Inn" was demolished, Nottingham Castle being inscribed on one side, and "one penny token, 1812," and on the obverse "Payable by J. M. Fellows, Pound Note for 240." It belongs to Mr. J. J. Bywater. Mr. Alfred T. Fellows was Sheriff 1817, as was James in 1824. John, who died in 1873, was J.P., and in the South Notts. Yeomanry. Of Susannah Fellows, who died in 1845, it is testified that "her piety and benevolence endeared her to all who knew her, and those who knew her best admired her most." Mr. Alfred T. Fellows built "Beeston Fields," having the bricks burnt on the spot, and Mr. Geo. Fellows, J.P., before he sold "Beeston Fields" (now the property of Mr. Harold Bowden) was Hon. Major in the South Notts. Yeomanry, of which regiment he in 1895 published a history. Another book by him is Arms, Armour and Alabaster round Nottingham.

Stephen Armitage.
Stephen Armitage.

Rev. A. C. Beckton.

STEPHEN ARMITAGE died at Broadgate House, Beeston, in Feb. 1915, aged 50, after only five days illness. He had largely developed the Cafe business in Nottingham and elsewhere, and although this was done as a matter of business, yet it also largely promoted the public convenience, and to some extent lessened the use of public houses. He was an active and capable business man, and was greatly respected by his employees, and indeed loved by them, for he was always ready to aid them in sickness, or other trouble. His leisure time was largely spent in works of charity and philanthropy in connection with the Women's Hospital, the Children's Hospital, the Eye Infirmary, the District Nursing Association, the Private Nursing Association, the Midland Orphanage for Girls, at Lenton, etc. On these bodies he brought his business capacity, knowledge and experience to bear in regard to their expenditure departments, to secure economy and efficiency.

The Rev. A. C. BECKTON, M.A., wasvicar of Beeston in 1901, and for five years, during which between £2,000 and £8,000 was raised for building Sunday Schools for the Church. His ministry was with great acceptance and power for good, for he was a man of wide sympathy, splendid organizing power, and considerable force as a preacher. By his genial manner he commanded the respect of all classes, but by a mysterious Providence a stroke deprived him of his speech, which he has not regained. His portrait is inserted as a token of sympathetic regard.

The Rev. JOHN CLIFFORD (whose titles may be given as a mark of his studies and scholarship) B.A., B Sc., M.A., L.L.B., elected Fellow of the Geographical Society, D.D., Lit. I)., etc., was born at Sawley in 1836, from which place his widowed mother removed to Beeston in his early life, and where at the age of 11 he worked in a lace factory as "jacker-off"—that is removing the unused thread from the bobbins—and for a year he worked in Mr. Pearson's gardens. During this time he prepared himself for the entrance examination to the Baptist College in 1855, for from a boy he had by private study from Cassells' Popular Educator and solid works of literature continued his education, and when in 1858 he became a minister in London, he in addition entered the London University as a student, and carried forward his studies along with his ministerial work, thereby obtaining knowledge in order that he might impart it to others, for he has been a great lover of young people. His tenacity of purpose under disadvantages is an object lesson to struggling young men. For 57 years he was minister of one of the principal Baptist Churches in London, having 1,000 communicant members, and he has obtained an almost world-wide reputation as an eloquent preacher, hard working minister, social reformer and non-conformist leader.

William Roberts.
William Roberts.

WILLIAM ROBERTS was a draper and grocer, but he retired in 1873, and has since devoted a large portion of his time to public affairs. He was many years Overseer of the Poor, a member of the School Board, and the Local Board, and in 1884 was appointed a Guardian of the Poor, which office, with the exception of a short interval, he has kept ever since, and although in his 91st year he attends to the duties of the office, and has been warmly commended by the Board for his long and faithful service. He was one of the promoters of the development of the St. John's Grove Estate, and in this was joined by Dr. Butler, Mr. Joseph Orchard, and others. The negotiations for the purchase of the Cemetery; its laying out and building, were entrusted to him and Mr. B. Collington. He was entrusted by Miss Cullen with a cheque for £5,000 in order to build and endow the Cullen Memorial Homes at Sherwood, which he carried out, and has since largely administered. He presented the organ for the Wesleyan Church on Chilwell Road, at a cost with other items of nearly £1,000.

JOHN PIERREPONT was for ten years the Head Teacher of the National School, but in 1878 he went to Holy Trinity Upper Boys' School, at Nottingham, which was one of the first of the Elementary Schools to take what was then called Higher Grade instruction, including several sciences, French, German, etc., and had a chemical laboratory, there being at one time 820 boys in average attendance. He has been President of several of the local societies connected with his profession. After thirty-five years service at Nottingham he returned to Beeston, where he is enjoying a well-earned rest, but is still a governor of the Nottingham Secondary Schools, and during the war is the acting correspondent of the Notts. Education Committee for the Beeston Council Schools, a member of the Southwell Diocesan Conference, and chairman of the Benevolent and Orphan Funds of the local branch of the N.U.T. at Nottingham, a position which he has held for many years. With his long experience and deep conviction he is more and more convinced that religion must be the basis of all education.