John Newton.

John Newton.

John Newton. JOHN NEWTON was a Twisthand, and lived in  Haywood Street. He had music in his soul, and wrote it—especially for hymn tunes. One of his earliest was "Sovereignty," which is a great favourite with many Nottingham people. It was set to the hymn—

" Great God of wonders ! all Thy ways Are
matchless, Godlike, and Divine,"

but is usually sung to--

"Would Jesus have the
sinner die ? "

He gave the scrolls of his tunes away as he composed them, never thinking about copyright. He found it necessary to obtain subscribers for his first volume, and for this purpose went and canvassed, and called the book,"The Pilgrim." He issued four volumes; he had concerts in many villages, and afterwards in the Mechanics' Hall, with large audiences. He was Choir Conductor of Parliament Street Chapel for eight years. His last situation as lace maker was with Messrs. Cope & Ward. He wrote a "Te Deum" at eighty-four, and then died in 1886. It is greatly to be regretted that there is no stone over his grave in the General Cemetery.

In his day there were few organs, and choirs had many individual instruments. With limited means his aim was to secure a strong devotional element, combined with a musical one, in the use of these instruments. Three of his compositions are known as "Mortals Awake," "Star of Jacob," and "Star of Bethlehem."

Percy J. Cropper. PERCY J. CROPPER compiled and edited a book, "The Sufferings of the Quakers in Nottinghamshire," with biographical and historical notes. This largely consisted of a re-publication of various pamphlets issued in  1676, and after years, of the persecution of the Quakers in Notts, from 1650 to the Act of Toleration, under William and Mary in 1689. He also printed "Notts. Printed Chap Books," and other books.

Edwin Ellis. EDWIN ELLIS,  artist, was born at 78, Manvers Street, as the tablet placed there by the Corporation testifies. At fifteen he worked in a lace factory, then took  to lace-designing, going on to Art in painting. After completing his artistic education in France he became a member of the " Society of Royal British Artists." He died in 1895, aged 52. His pictures were principally landscape and marine views. The picture, ''Off Flamborough Head," is said to be one of considerable merit.

Alfred Cooke. ALFRED COOKE was a choir boy in Sneinton Church. He developed his powers, and became a journalist on the staff of "The Daily News" in its palmist Robinson days. He contributed many thoughtful articles on theological subjects to the "Church Times," of which in  the forties he became sub-editor.

The Rev. William Crosbie. The REV. WILLIAM CROSBIE, M.A., LL.B., was a Scotch boy who came to serve a four years  apprenticeship with his uncle, William Scott Davidson, a Travelling Draper, residing in Sneinton. Having served his time, he bought and carried on the business. The Castle Gate Meeting (as it was then called) had a Mission Sunday School in Upper Eldon Street, in the work of which Mr. Crosbie was enlisted. After several years he, with six other young Sunday School Teachers, deemed it to be his duty to devote his life to ministerial work. He therefore sold his business, and went to College, with the determination to get knowledge in order that he might impart it to others. At Romsey, Derby, Brighton, and Park Hill, Nottingham, during the following forty years, he laboured— his greatest success being at Derby. He died in 1901, aged seventy-two. He was an earnest, devoted, spiritually-minded man. One of his books, "Is the Spirit of the Lord straitened?" had a large circulation.

Miss Mary Woolley. MISS MARY WOOLLEY was superintendent of St. Matthias' Sunday School 86 years, and Head Mistress of the Infants' School 83 years, and stained glass windows in St. Matthias' Church, placed there by subscriptions, tell how she was "universally loved and respected." She died in 1904, and the windows were dedicated by Canon Godber. Her life and soul were given to her work.

The Misses Tomlin. THE MISSES TOMLIN gave the clock in the tower of  St. Stephen's Church, and Miss Marian Tomlin did a great amount of good among the poor.

John Webster and Nathan Pratt. JOHN WEBSTER and NATHAN PRATT served the office of Churchwardens for thirty-two years. The former excelled as a flautist, and played the flute in the Church choir. For a generation he devoted himself to Church and parochial affairs, and he formed and became captain of No. 9, or the Clumber Company of Robin Hoods, but at once retired in favour of Mr. Pratt who had joined in the work of formation, so Mr. Pratt became captain, and served and worked well until he retired with the rank of colonel.

Samuel Eyre. SAMUEL EYRE, Coal Merchant, was an active parochial worker, was chairman of the Local Board, and was a noted horticulturalist.

Samuel R. P. Shilton. SAMUEL R. P. SHILTON, Solicitor, lived in Sneinton House, Notintone Place, was grandson of the author of a History of Southwell, and son of Caractacus Shilton, who died in 1853, and is said to have built Notintone Place. He (Samuel) was for many years Hon. Sec. to the Horticultural Society, and at the head of its advertisements always gave a quotation from Lord Bacon: "A garden * * * is the purest of human pleasures. It is the greatest refreshment of the spirit of man." He served on the Local Board, and was active in Freemasonry. He died in 1877.

Thomas Stevenson. THOMAS STEVENSON served in almost every parochial office—parish constable, overseer, local board, school board. He was for years the village blacksmith in Sneinton Dale. He died in 1880.

Frederick Pullman. frederick pullman resided many years in Sneinton. He developed a large drapery business. He was a town councillor, alderman. J.P. and mayor. He died in 1906, aged 68.

Edward Wood. EDWARD WOOD was a lace manufacturer, and for many years devoted his leisure time to the Secretaryship of the Nottingham Sunday School Union. He died at Falmouth in 1903, aged 73.

John Straw. JOHN STRAW was in a Hosiery Warehouse. For 43 years he was the Superintendent of the Sunday School now connected with Albion Chapel, and for 29 years was one of the deacons. With unconsumed zeal and unswerving fidelity he labored for the good of the young people. He died in 1885, aged 75.

William Straw. WILLIAM E. STRAW was for many years a zealous worker in Bands of Hope, and for 28years was connected with the Sunday School Union. When the new organ at Albion Chapel was opened in 1905, he uttered the "Nunc Dimittis," and died a few days afterwards, leaving an honoured name.

Wm. S. Selby. WM. S. SELBY was in a Hosiery Warehouse. For  27 years he was Superintendent of the North Street Wesleyan Sunday School, Choir Master, and held other offices. A tablet states that his zeal and faithfulness in all his service was conspicuous. These duties are now discharged by his brother, with a longer roll of service.

General Booth

General Booth.

William Booth. On a white tablet fixed on the wall of No. 12, Notintone Place, is the following inscription: — "In this house was born on the 10th April, 1829, WILLIAM BOOTH, Founder and General of the Salvation Army." His father, Samuel Booth, a builder, who lost his money,was a strict Churchman, and the child was baptized at Sneinton Church. His mother, to whom he was passionately attached, was a good and gracious woman, full of sympathy, self-sacrificing, with firm faith in God. When in his teens he went to Wesley Chapel, then the largest and most energetically worked building in the town, and a friend (Mr. James) describes him as being impulsive, enthusiastic and imperative, regarding conversion as "the central fact of the universe." He was then an assistant in Mr. Lamb's shop in Goose Gate, and during some revival services at Wesley Chapel, conducted by Mr. Caughey, he resolved to devote himself to evangelistic work. He was at that time the leader of a band of young fellows and boys who held outdoor meetings for preaching and prayer in the Meadow Platts, Kid Street, Narrow Marsh, etc. At twenty he went to London, and met, and afterwards married Miss Catharine Mumford, who became his guide and stay through life. His after course is well known. He was presented with the honorary freedom of London, and of Nottingham in 1905. He was also made Hon. D.C.L., Oxon. A part of the work of the Salvation Army is carried on in Aberdeen Street, and thousands of rescued men in many lands will thank God that General Booth was born. He died August 20th, 1912, aged eighty-three. The King and Queen sent their condolence, and the nation mourned the loss. (See "General Booth," by Geo. S. Railton, London, Hodder & Stoughton, 2/6).

The Booth pedigree is given in "County Pedigrees," part 4, page 370, and Mr. Phillimore raises the interesting point of the possibility of connecting in kinship the General with a local celebrity, the Rev. Abraham Booth (Baptist) and another, Booth Eddison (a prominent member of the Society of Friends), and Dr. Robert Gregory, Dean of St. Paul's.

Let us pause for a minute to consider what led to the success of this most distinguished man that Sneinton has produced. He had a definite purpose, and that was pursued for sixty-eight years, from the time of his conversion. The people were perishing, he could help to save them, at all hazards it should be done. He had an intense energy continued through all discouragements; a strong faith in God, and in the power of the Gospel. There is no doubt also that he had strong faith in William Booth. He had a mission, and he could and would overcome every obstacle. He developed slowly and gradually large powers of organization. He developed also in his view of Gospel work. The writer has a distinct recollection of his preaching about 1850-4, when he was absorbed by one aspect—immediate salvation, with hell and damnation as the result of neglect. He ended by the love of God leading men and women to love others into goodness; the gospel for the body as well as for the soul; for present uplifting prior to the future glory; for present service rather than for future happiness.