Yeomanry. The village  showed  its patriotic spirit in the time of the country's need, for Corpl. W. H. Brewill, Private L. Clements, and Private S. Norton, all members of the Notts. Yeomanry, volunteered for service during the Boer war, and it is regrettable that Corp. Brewill after rendering yeoman service, and coming successfully through various engagements, should have succumbed to enteric fever at Vryburg.

Athletes. Wilfordians are proud of .the fact that their village has produced so many athletes out of so small a village. The following may be named: —

George Brewill was a noted walker in 1869-1870-1871. He beat Rye, the English champion, at Trent Bridge, in 1870, in the Open Mile Scratch Race, and in the same year received an invitation to walk for the North against the South. Arthur W. Cursham played for Notts. County at Football, and received International Honours on six occasions between 1876 and 1889. Harry A. Cursham also played for Notts. County at Football, and attained International Honours in 1880, 1882, 1883 and 1884. Edward Harker was a member of the Notts. County team between 1882 and 1888. He also played during 1888-9 for the Nottm. Forest Eleven. George Frederick Brewill won numerous prizes for running, and attained great distinction on the path. He was Champion of the Midland Counties at 100 and 220 yards between 1897 and 1908 ; he carried off the English 220 Yards Championship in 1903, at Northampton, and had the honour of being elected Captain of the Rest of England team versus The London Athletic Club in 1904 in a Mile Relay Race, in which he came in first Ernest Brewill won numerous prizes for running, and in 1905, whilst competing in an Invitation Level 100 Yards Race, at Wolverhampton, beat Duffey, the American and English Champion. James Iremonger joined the Nottm. Forest  Football  Club  in   1894, and  secured  International Honours on several occasions between 1901 and 1903; he is also a valuable member of the Notts. County Cricket Club, which he joined in 1897; he attained sixth position in the First-class Batting Averages in 1904, and ultimately rendered yeoman service as a bowler. Albert Iremonger joined the Notts. County Football Club in 1904, was a noted goalkeeper, and secured several distinctions; he was also a member of the County Cricket Club from 1904 to 1910. Alex. Handford was a member of the County Cricket Club, and did useful service as a bowler. Wm. Clements played with All England many times; was County Umpire five years, and four times umpired in England v. Australia matches.

Fishing. In the olden time the stocking-makers of Nottingham, directly they had done their work in the frame, went off with fishing-rod and basket, to catch barbel opposite to Wilford Church, and they would soon catch sufficient for the next day's dinner, for the river swarmed with fish, but it is not so now, for there came a period of wilful pollution of the stream and its tributaries by sewage, by distant colliery operations, by the dregs from Burton malt and beer, and by various other manufacturing operations, highly injurious to the thriving of the fish. These matters are, however, gradually improving, and such improvement will probably continue—notwithstanding that vested interests are strong. This, however, is not all the evil, for in the free water there is much illegal fishing—netting, mostly in the night. To prevent this, either the police, or additional watchmen are necessary, and the Trent Fishery Board need both more funds and activity. The Board of Agriculture and Fisheries are stirring with regard to their first object, now must follow the second, for the Trent might produce millions of fish, where it now produces thousands. A shilling fishing rod, and licence, would probably be helpful. The right to fish in the Trent in what is called the Wilford stretch, reaching from the black fence, near to Clifton Hall, to the wall at Wilford on the right hand side descending, is now rented from Sir Hervey Bruce, by the Nottingham Anglers' Association, and the cost for a member's licence is 8s. 8d per annum, but anyone may have a day's fishing by obtaining, through a member, a day ticket, at a cost of 6d., on applying to the Secretary, Mr. Bagshaw, Newsagent, Alfreton Road, Nottingham. The fish usually caught in this stretch are barbel, chub, roach, dace, and eels. The right of fishing on the other side of the Trent is free. The fishermen of Nottingham boast that Nottingham is the home of scientific stream fishing.

The Dorothy Boot Homes.
The Dorothy Boot Homes.

Veterans. "The Dorothy Boot  Homes" are eleven houses built by Sir Jesse Boot in 1908, for Crimean and Indian Mutiny Veterans, and their wives. These are rent free, heated with hot water pipes, each house having a bath, and a garden, and the inmates have free medical attendance. There is a large clubroom, to which all Veterans in the city have access, and a library and newspapers are provided, and there is a monthly social party. The inmates are at liberty to take any respectable employment. When the Veterans have passed away, the houses will be for the use and enjoyment of aged and deserving persons.

Registers. The Registers of Marriages from 1657 to 1812 have been compiled by the Rev. J. Clough, and printed by Phillimore & Co. The early Registers of Births and Deaths were not carefully preserved. There does not appear to be anything of much interest. It is mentioned that on page 1 of the earliest book there are four entries of "punishments," the first being Mary Beerham, wife of Jo. Beerham, who was punished according to law at Wilford, and sent with a pass to Bondsall, in Derbyshire. Did "punished" then mean whipped? or the cucking or decking stool, or what?

Population. The number of inhabitants was, in 1801, 478; 1851, 570; 1901, 5,079. The latter figures evidently included North Wilford, where the development has taken place. In South Wilford the population in 1911 was 553, the area 1,549 acres, of which 77 was water. The net annual value is £9,600.

County Hall. King Henry VI., in 1448, granted a Charter to  Nottingham, which had for a long time previously been an incorporated town, whereby the Borough was erected into a County, and separated from the County of Nottingham; but he made an exception of "our Castle of Nottingham, and our messuage called the King's Hall, wherein is our gaol for our Counties of Nottingham and Derby being alone excepted." The effect of this provision is that the County Hall is in the County, and not in the City, and an assault committed on the steps of the Hall would not be adjudicated upon by the same authority as a similar assault committed on the causeway. The Shire Hall is really an outlying part of the parish of Wilford, and that portion of it which is not used for Crown purposes, is rated as being in the parish of South Wilford.

Inclosure. The system of cultivating the lands in open fields, in strips, continued in the parish many hundreds of years, and was probably so carried on until the Inclosure. A Terrier of the Glebe lands, made in 1684, shows that most of the holdings were in "lands" of the area of one rood. Many of them were in the Audham Field.

A part of Wilford parish had been enclosed and cultivated from of old, and there were scattered several ancient Inclosures which lay at a considerable distance from the houses and homesteads of the owners. There were also open fields, meadows, and commons, within the Lordship, or Liberty, of Wilford. An act of parliament was, therefore, passed in 5 Geo. III., under which Commissioners were appointed to divide and enclose the lands, which measured 1,167a. 2r. 34p. In the award made in 1766, several portions of land, amounting to 209a. 2r. 4p., were allotted to the Eector, in lieu of the tythes of corn, grain, hay, wool, lamb, and all other tythes, with certain specified exceptions, and 40a. 2r. 7p. was "swopped," or exchanged. There was allotted to the Surveyor of Highways in Audham Field, on Ruddington lane, two acres, and on Gravel Pit hill, on the Loughborough road, two acres, for the more convenient and easy getting and carrying of gravel for the highways. The rest of the land, after making provision for roads, was allotted to the persons who were owners of the lands and to the right of common. The road on the Common Land Moor, was to be like others, 60 feet. This name is now called Landmere.

The Pasture. There is 28a. lr. 13p. of land south of Wilford Lane that throws an interesting light on cottage life in the past, for it was let in nineteen gaits, or separate rights to pasture cattle there, and these were attached to cottages, each cottage having its right to one or more gaits. These gaits gradually fell in, and are now nearly all attached to farms, so that one farmer may now have attached thereto, say, half-a-dozen gaits Modern cottagers do not value them. "Three acres and a cow" it is desirable to encourage, but somehow it does not seem to fit with modern industrial conditions. There is a gait master appointed annually, and the holders make their own rules.

Milk. Wilford is a land flowing with milk and honey. For generations, along with general agriculture, Milk has been the staple product of the parish. The picturesque garb of the milkmen was noted long ago, for until two generations ago they wore that very sensible and comfortable garment, the smock frock, adorned with sundry needlework devices at the front and back. The garb has, by the change of fashions, passed away, but the quantity of milk produced has increased, for much arable land has been laid down for pasture. The honey is not so much in evidence, for although a limited quantity is produced in the gardens, yet the principal part of the sweetness arises from honest toil well done, " something attempted, something done," and the satisfaction that in the staple commodity carried to the houses of the people, the national, the domestic, and the general good is promoted.

Trees. There were many fine trees, chiefly elms, planted about 1690, by Sir Gervase, the fourth Baronet, surrounding the church, along the Trent bank, near the village, which, becoming decayed, were beheaded or removed. A number of young trees was planted a few years ago, which have done rather poorly, and others have been wickedly damaged. The Hector has set some others north of the church, and Mr. Webster, at the time of King George's Coronation, planted some on Coronation Avenue. Those on the Green, Limes and one Sycamore, were planted at Queen Victoria's Jubilee Commemoration in 1887, by Mrs. Markham Clifton and other ladies. That the number of trees may be greatly increased is a consummation devoutly to be wished. The lord of the Manor felt the charm when he made his drive from the hall to the Round-house, of which the stone pillar gate-posts opposite to the gate-house, remain as a pathetic memorial, and thence there is said to have been another drive to a corresponding round-house on the top of Wilford hill, which was only recently removed for the new tower, and there the Baronet and his family enjoyed a cup of tea before driving home. Was this pleasure for one family a foretaste of a coming good to the many?

The Plaisaunce. The Plaisaunce is a summer riverside Recreation Club House, with extensive grounds, built and formed by Sir Jesse Boot, for the use of. the Managers, and responsible members of the staff, and their wives, connected with the Boots' Cash Chemist Companies, being about two hundred in number. The Club-house has every requisite accommodation for refreshments, social gatherings, musical evenings, and is beautifully furnished. The grounds of one-and-a-half acres are tastefully arranged with shrubs and flowers, and provision for lawn tennis, bowls, and other games, with an aviary, and every convenience for quiet repose and recreation. The place furnishes a fine example of the interest of Sir Jesse and Lady Boot in the welfare of their workpeople. The use of the premises is granted occasionally for philanthropic purposes.

Changes. There are many items of interest that refer to departed objects to which old people fondly cling. The old ferry boat with its tiresome delays plies no more. The cherry eatings on the first week in July are forgotten, for the market is supplied with fruit from every land. The fords for cattle and carts have become impassable. The thatched cottages are passing away, and villa residences, and more healthful cottages are taking their places. The noble trysting tree in the centre of the Green has decayed, as well as many others that have either been removed, or beheaded, for trees will not last for ever. The arbours in the gardens are neglected, for attractions elsewhere have been multiplied a hundred-fold. The wind-mill on the hill has stopped, "never to go again since the old man died," and in the place of the brick pleasure house is a stone lower. But why sigh over changes when change is the law of nature? Enough good remains. The Grove flourishes, the river rolls on, the sun shines, and there are many advantages now enjoyed that a hundred years ago were not even dreamed of, and as many people as ever visit Wilford and the Grove at holiday times. The trams have proved a great convenience, and enabled fathers and mothers to take their little ones by the river side, thereby promoting their health and welfare. If the parish Council cannot provide additional public seats by the road side, a voluntary subscription might, with leave, do this good service.