Ejection of the Clergy.

Many of the Clergy were ejected in 1643 and more in 1645 and in 1653 the "Barebone" Parliament ordered the Church Registers to be surrendered to Parish Registers elected by the parishioners.

Thomas Savage was instituted Rector of St. Anne's and St. Michael's on 14th March, 1622, and held both benefices till 1662. He managed to avoid ejection and must therefore have given up the Prayer Book, used the Directory and satisfied the Committee of Triers that he was disloyal and a "painful preacher of the Word." It would seem that some relative was appointed "Parish Register," for St. Anne's Register has:—"Mr. Richard Savage of the Parish of Sutton Bonington sworne and approved Register for ye said parish the 15th of ffebruary 1652 by me Henry Sacheverell."

At the Restoration Thomas Savage had the audacity to apply for the Deanery of Lichfield for Godfrey, quoting "State Papers:—Domestic 1660-1" p. 436 says:—"In 1660 Thomas Savage, B.D., formerly fellow of Magdalen College, Oxford, Rector of Sutton Bonington, petitioned the King for the Deanery of Lichfield, alleging that he had adhered to the Church throughout the late times." He appears to have been unsuccessful. In 1628 he was indicted at Nottingham for "continuing a cottage," i.e., for persisting in building a new cottage without a license under an Act of Elizabeth, which in order to keep down the number of paupers required four acres of land to be attached to a new cottage.

Items of the 17th Century.

Mid-17th century cottage on Main Street, Sutton Bonington (A Nicholson, 2006).
Mid-17th century cottage on Main Street, Sutton Bonington (A Nicholson, 2006).

From "Nottinghamshire County Records" compiled by H. Hampton Copnall; published by Saxton, 1915, I take a few of the indictments at Nottingham: e.g. 1604. John Savage (Rector of St. Michael's) for being "a Common barretor," ("instigator of quarrels,") Thomas Aynsworth, 1640, "on suspicion of poisoning his wife quod venem Anglica Ratsbane in pease pottage"; 1691. Thomas Eaton for "illegally fishing in the Soar at Kingston"; 1623-4. Henry Wheatley and Martha Gad, parents of a bastard child; Wheatley ordered to maintain the child and be imprisoned in the stocks for two hours; Martha to go to the house of Correction with the child. The Inhabitants of Sutton Bonington indicted 1614 and 1621 for not repairing the road between Ratcliffe and Normanton and for not repairing "Sotts Bridge" (Zouch Bridge) and Thomas Lees, miller, for not repairing Zouch Bridge. In 1675 there were three "Recognitiones" or licences to Victuallers. In 1689-98. One Conventicle was registered "at the house of William Shepherd." The Popish Recusants under James I. and Charles I. were ten in number, including "Anthus Fielding, gent"; 1606-7. Under absence from church for one month under Charles II. and James II. there were ten presented, probably Papists.

The Tanner MSS. in the Bodleian Library, as the result of enquiries in 1676, (cf. "Thoroton Society's Transactions" 1924) gives (1) number of persons of age to receive communion, (2) number of Popish recusants and (3) number of other dissenters who refused or absented from Communion.

St. Annes.

(1) 54.

(2) 00.

(3) 00.

St. Michaels.

(1). 176.

2. 01.

(3). 04.

signed by John Curtoys, Curate of both Churches.

Patrons and Rectors of St. Anne's.

The Prior of Repton was patron of St. Anne's until the Dissolution in 1538. William Stanley, Rector, 1525, foreseeing the imminent Dissolution, induced the Assigns of Lord Berkeley to present him to St. Michael's in 1536, but apparently without vacating St. Anne's. He died in 1541, and Thomas Stanley became Rector. In 1567 the Archbishop of York appointed John Holt. I suggest that the Fieldings then claimed the advowson as having acquired Repingdon Grange, for Francis Fielding, presented in 1572, Anthony Fielding in 1593, Queen Elizabeth in 1601, probably because Anthony Fielding was a Popish Recusant, and then Thomas and William Grey with George Lord Berkeley until in 1667 Charles II. presented, the Crown having probably claimed the advowson as in the patronage of the dissolved Priory of Repton, and the Lord Chancellor has held in ever since.

This list of Rectors is taken from Godfrey's "Churches of Rushcliffe," who took it from the MSS. compiled by James Torre, who died 1699, from the records at York, and after Torre's death from the mandates of Induction in the Archdeaconry of Nottingham. The Prior of Repton was Patron except where otherwise given.

12 Mar. 1315. John de Tykenhale: acolyte: died. Black death 1348.

28 July. 1349. Henry Gorney de Rempstone. cap.

14 Feb. 1394. John Willimot, cap, by Thomas de Merdeleys who bequeathed Sutton to Thomas Staunton.

14 Aug. 1420. Nicholas de Hull: pbr. — — — Thomas Davison. By his will dated in the vigil of Con: B.V.M. 1464 he desired to be buried in the Chancel of St. Anne's. Torre MSS.

22 Jan. 1464. Edward Tasker: pbr. Resigned.

3. Feb. 1474. Thomas Ball: cap. Resigned.

4. Feb. 1479. William Salvayn, pbr. Archbp. of York. Resigned.

4 May, 1482. John Alwood, cap.

11 Mar. 1501. Lawrence Sutton: pbr. Died.

9 Aug. 1525. William Stanley, pbr. Rector of St. Michael's, 1536. 1538. Dissolution of Repton Priory.

 — — Thomas Stanley.

17 May, 1567. John Holt, cler., Archp of York. Resigned.

4 Sept. 1572. Christopher Smyth : cler. by Francis Fielden. Buried at St. Anne's. Mar. 8, 1592. Par: Reg.

20. Aug. 1593. Robert Farmer, deacon, by Anthony Fielding.

12 June 1601. John Simpson, B.A. Cler. by Queen Elizabeth, probably because Anthony Fielding was a Papist, buried at St. Anne's, 31 Jan. 1622. Par : Reg.

 — — 1622. Thomas Savage, B.D. Patron not given. Also Rector of St. Michael's. Not ejected. Buried at St. Anne's Mar. 21, 1662. Par: Reg.

21 Nov. 1662. John Dashfield, by Thomas Grey Esqr.
Also Rector of St. Michael's. Canon of Bristol, 1660.

5 May, 1664. John Strickland, by George Lord Berkeley.
Also Rector of St. Michael's. Buried at St. Anne's, 25 Jan. 1664. Par : Reg.

27 April 1665. William Moore, S.T.P. by George Lord Berkeley and William Grey Esqr. Died. Also Rector of St. Michael's. 7 Nov. 1667. Moore Fortune, M.A., by King Charles II. Died. Last in the Torre MSS.

4 Mar. 1685. William Rose., by King James II.

7 Feb. 1698. Richard Kay, by King William III.

21 Feb. 1702. Thomas Boothby, M.A., by Queen Anne.

19 Ap. 1721. Richard Wenman, B.A., by King George II. Died August 1755.

3 Sept. 1755. Charles Allen by King George II. Rector of Thorpe-in-the-Glebe. 1748. Died.

1  Dec. 1795. Nathanael Palmer Johnson, M.A., by King George III. Resigned.

15 Oct. 1797. Samuel Francis Dashwood, B.A., by King George III. Prebend of North Muskham, Southwell, 1800. Rector of Stanford on Soar, 1801. Died.

30 May, 1827. John Lafont, M.A., by King George IV., Rector of Hinxworth, Herts. 1822. Died.

10 Mar. 1848. Thomas Barton, by Queen Victoria: previously Curate of St. Michael's, then of St. Anne's. Died Mar. 14, 1848. Tomb at Corner in Churchyard.

13 Oct. 1848. James Fyler, B.A., by Queen Victoria. Resigned.

3 June, 1856. John C. Tylden Pattenson, by Queen Victoria. He died insane. Brass in Church. Resigned.

11  June, 1875. Edward Stuart Taylor, M.A., by Queen Victoria. Buried at St. Anne's, 17 June, 1902, aged 70.

— — 1903. William Robert Hamilton, by Queen Victoria. Royal Univ: Ireland (Queen Coll: Belfast), B.A., 1890. T.C. Dublin 1907. d. 1892, p. 1893, Curate of Wellington: Staff. 1892-3. Stoke on Trent, 1893-5. Vicar of St. George Wolverhampton, 1896-1902. Exchanged to Vicarage of East Mailing, Kent.

22 May, 1920. Walter Edward Buckland, M.A., by King George V., Keble Coll: Ox. B.A. 1876. M.A. 1879. d. 1876. p. 1877. Curate of Alton, Hants 1876-8. Vicar of Beedon, Berks, 1878-91. Vicar of Woodborough, Notts. 1891-6. Vicar of East Mailing, 1896-1920.

As to residence, entries in the registers show that probably all the Rectors from Thomas Savage 1622 to Richard Wenham 1721 resided; that Charles Allen only resided for three years of his forty: that Johnson, Dashwood, Lafont and Pattenson were non resident whereas Barton and Fyler were resident. Non residence was stopped by the Pluralites Act of 1837. Apparently both Churches were served during the earlier period by one Curate.

St. Anne's Church.

St. Anne's church, Sutton Bonington c.1910.
St. Anne's church, Sutton Bonington c.1910.

The church of St. Anne given by Gregorie de Diva to the Priory of Calke was probably built of timber, and was not appropriated, for the Tone MSS. say:— "The Church of St. Anne . . . continues a Rectory of their Patronage unappropriated." The Normans were great churchbuilders of stone churches. The present Church shows three periods.

  1. Transition Norman North Aisle: 1172-1200: masonry consists of thin slabs of Normanton limestone laid in courses: arcade of three slightly pointed arches supported by a round and an octagon pillar with plain moulded caps and bases: East window a poor late perpendicular insertion: the other three windows inserted in the decorated period with tracery similar to the Nave windows. North door, formerly walled up, opened and Vestry built in 1903, when the triangular head of the door was moved to the Vestry east wall.
  2. Early English Chancel: about 1250: masonry, where not refaced, consists of Castle Donington stone laid at random, with modern repairs of Mount Sorrel granite: lofty pointed arch with Early-English caps and bases obscured by modern screen set too far forward, though the scars of the rood-screen and tympanum show the original position: only one original window left on the south side, a deeply splayed lancet with cusps. All the other windows are later insertions: the N.E. window is poor, late Perpendicular: the N.W. window is Decorated: the East and S.W. Lowside windows are decorated in the Early-English style, probably inserted when the Nave was built. At the low side window, formerly closed with a shutter, the clerk rang the sanctus bell at the consecration in the Mass. The S.E. window, a single light with cinquefoil head, is modern debased, possibly inserted to make the sedile. There is a square-headed piscina.
  3. The Decorated Nave: 14th century. The masonry consists of tooled blocks of Castle Donington Stone laid in courses. The tracery of the two South windows is the Early-English continued throughout the Decorated period. The whole West window is a recent insertion. There is a piscina at the east end of the South Wall. The octagonal font with quatrefoil panels is 14th century, probably the work of the man who made the font at St. Michael's. One jamb of the South door has grooves, said to have been made by sharpening arrows. The old seats of the porch suggest the present porch was rebuilt on the old foundation. The marks on the East face of the bell turret show that the Nave roof was originally at a much higher pitch.

The Bell Turret contains two bells. Godfrey thinks the treble dates from the end of the 14th century. If so, it was one of the two bells handed back by the Commissioners of Edward VI. The other was recast in 1827. The inscriptions are :—

Treble: in Lombardic capitals: "Ista campana facta est ex honore Sancte Anne."
Second: " J. Mears of London fecit, 1827.
Rev. John Lafont, Rector, James Orme, Churchwarden."

The Nave was restored in 1860 by Mr. William Paget, the Chancel in 1877 when the Rev. E. Stuart Taylor became Rector, £250 being borrowed from Queen Anne's Bounty charged on the benefice and £240 subscribed. Edwin Dolby was the architect. The total cost was £732 12s. 0d., but this included the East window (Burlison) £35, and Reredos (Earp) £53 3s. 4d. Later were added the Lych Gate, 1885: the Iron Gates to Chancel, 1902; The organ and chamber with screen, pulpit and Lectern, 1898. The Revd. E. S. Taylor died in 1902 and as a Memorial to him the S.E. window was put in and the Vestry built. None of the stained glass windows are really pleasing except the East window by Burlison and Grylls. There is a brass tablet in memory of Admiral Sir William King-Hall, K.C.B. and a marble tablet recording names of those in the Great War; otherwise there are only inscriptions in the windows.

The old chalice, probably an Elizabethan Cup, was stolen at the sale of the effects of the Rev. William Rumann, Curate, in 1873 and the present silver chalice is inscribed "In piam memoriam Gul: Rumann, nuper in hac parochia animarum curam agentis MDCCCL XXIII." The earliest register is a parchment book beginning in 1560 and was till 1921 stitched to the first register at St. Michael's, probably by Thomas Savage or by the "Parish Register." The Registers are complete to the present time and contain no notes of interest: except perhaps "1773 Feb. 7th William Rice, aged 30, seven feet four inches high." This "Sutton Bonington Giant" was exhibited about the country: George III. gave him a suit of scarlet silk. He was buried in the Chancel, his corpse being borne by eight men while eight maids bore the Pall. Upwards of 500 people attended. Formerly there was a peg on which he hung his hat. The population in 1560-70 was less than 100: in 1800 about 100: in 1921, 604.

The Benefice of St. Anne's.

In the Church Chest there are two Terriers dated 1714 and 1726. The latter states "the value of the whole living is Fifty £ per annum." Another in the writing of Charles Allen at the end of the Hardwick Marriage Register is the same as that of 1714 and is dated 1764 and gives a detailed list of the Glebe Land, which according to the old land tenure of the English Village Community was scattered in about 120 strips, none exceeding one acre, all over the unenclosed fields amounting to about fifty acres in all. The fields were called "Midsumer Ground," "Meadow Ground," "Neather field" "Rundle Field" and "Standard Field." The common rights were "Twelve Beave pastures, Six Horse Comons, four score and ten sheep Comons, the Tythe of fifteen yard lands and a half." A yard-land was a bundle of thirty scattered strips of one acre each. The terrier gives a detailed description of the Rectory House, which seems to have been last occupied by Richard Wenman and Charles Allen as Rectors and since 1760 by the tenant of the Glebe. It was sold in 1877. The present house, opposite the Church Porch, seems to have been rebuilt, except the lowest part of stone comprising the cellar, which has walls of "Stud and mud,"

Another Terrior, dated 1809, gives details of the Glebe assigned by the Enclosure Award of 1775 in lieu of Glebe and Tithe, 198a. 2r. 7p, all let to William Doughty at £197 10s. 0d.

In 1839 the Midland Counties Railway bought 2r. 3p. of Glebe and lr. lp. of Churchyard for £607 0s. 0d.

In 1849 an exchange of land was made with Mr. W. B. Paget, by which the Rector gave up 7a. 2r. 22p. of Glebe now enclosed in the park of St. Anne's Manor, then called "The Cliffs," for 14a. 2r. 26p. on the south of Hungary Lane.

In 1877 all the Glebe was sold to Mr. Paget for £11,234, except the Glebe Paddock; out of this £350 was paid to Mr. Paget for his field on the north side of the Church containing la. 2r. 13p. The purchase money was invested by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in ground rents in Forest Gate and Finsbury Park, yielding £441 17s. 0d., and in £23 13s. 11d. London County Council 3% Stock.

As to the present rectory, the Rev. Thomas Barton, curate of St. Michael's in 1834 and of St. Anne's in 1837 and Rector in 1845, bought with his own money the nucleus of the present rectory with land for £385, and then two further pieces for £111 1s. 0d., part of which the Railway took for £180 0s. 0d. In 1847, Thomas Barton sold this house and land to Queen Anne's Bounty for £1150, which was made up by the sale of the £607, proceeds of the Glebe and Churchyard invested in Consols for £564 2s. 1d., and a loan from Queen Anne's Bounty of £585 17s. l1d. for thirty years at 3½%. Barton must have improved the house. In 1903 the piece of land, now Kitchen Garden, was bought for £215, and in 1921 the small orchard for £26 8s. 7d. In 1903 the Rev. W. R. Hamilton borrowed £200 for Q. A. B. and in 1911 £500 more to build on to the house, of which therefore the total cost amounted to £2441 8s. 7d.