A century or so ago Nottingham was very well supplied with windmills; there were thirteen of them along the hill crest where Forest Road now runs, and the remains of two of these still exist incorporated in modern houses. There were three other mills at the top of Derby Road in the neighbourhood of the entrance to the General Cemetery; but the only one that remains in anything like a complete condition is the mill at Sneinton, the subject of this drawing : it is a striking landmark for the whole district. It appears to have been built during the third quarter of the eighteenth century, probably by a man called Green; and its chief claim to interest lies in its association with his son George, who had a natural genius for mathematics. George Green was born in 1793 and died in 1841; and though he seems to have lived and worked in and about his father's mill, he achieved very high repute is a mathematician. He published many papers dealing with his subject, and although the 'Vibration of Pendulums in Fluid Media' is not very generally read, upon it and similar publications George Green's name rests secure.

The mill has recently been purchased and restored by a public spirited citizen in memory of its famous occupant. The views from the foot of this building are extremely beautiful, and a pilgrimage thither on a clear day is very well repaid.