We now leave the church, and retrace our steps, till we come to Snenton again, when we turn to the right, through the village, till we come to the church, on the top of the hill. There are some elegant tombs in the church yard which are deserving of inspection. After having viewed these, we travel on, and have another of those beautiful views from an eminence, which is scarcely to be matched in the country. The new buildings to the right, as we descend the hill, are called New Snenton, and are joined to the town of Nottingham so closely, that a stranger would believe them to be a part and parcel of the same.


This is another of those beauteous walks with which the environs of Nottingham abound. Leaving the market-place, the stranger will go up Pelham-street, down Carlton-street, and turn to the left, along Broad-street. Another turn to the right leads down St John's-street, and then to the left takes us to Beck-barn, so named from the river or streamlet the Beck. Journeying northward up a pleasant lane, and then over two or three fields, we come to a house on the right, lately a public house, but now deprived of its license. This used to be a place of great resort for the people of Nottingham, and even now it is frequented by parties who take tea there. This once convivial haunt was in ancient times, called Robin Hood's Well, but was originally a chapel dedicated to St, Ann, erected in the year 1409, whence the place has taken its present name. Formerly there used to be shown a cap and chair, said to have belonged to the famous outlaw Robin Hood. There is a bath of very cold water, and a bowling green, and in the garden is a small representation of a maze or labyrinth, known by the name of Robin Hood's or Shepherd's Race, which was originally cut on Snenton common, but an inclosure cut it up. This miniature edition of the more splendid original is yet run by many of the youths of Notingham. Leaving the house, we pass up a hill to the east, that leads into a lane, which forms a pleasant walk back into the town, by the way of Carlton hill, passing the lunatic asylum into Nottingham.


Radford Grove

One other walk remains to be described, and that is to Radford Grove, a growing favorite as a place of amusement and recreation to the people of Nottingham. The way to this, is through the market place, up Derby-road, and then taking the middle road at the top of the hill, we tarn to the right, through George-street, in the populous and increasing village of New Radford, to Radford Church, which leaving to the left, as soon as we have passed the church yard and an adjoining field, we turn through a gate down a walk well planted on either hand, till we cross the river Leen, where a gate to the left admits us into this favorite place of resort. It was originally planned and laid out, at great expense, by the late Wm. Elliott, Esq. about the year 1780. Here is a beautiful sheet of water, with a house in the centre of an island, to which you cross by a beautiful Chinese bridge. The gardens are kept in good order, and here the young seek a healthy amusement. A swing, and the boats upon the water, and other sources of diversified pleasure present themselves, and parties who resort here in great numbers, in the summer season, have tea and other refreshments served up with every comfort. Here are frequently the merry fiddle and the dance, and a more delightful place of entertainment cannot well be imagined. The charges are reasonable; the walk is not more than a mile from Nottingham, and the surrounding scenery is delightful.


The Nottingham Arms