Leaving the house of correction, and proceeding westward, we come to George-street, on the east side of which, is the

Particular Baptist Chapel


a very neat brick building, sixty-three feet by fifty, and erected in the year 1815. The pastor is the Rev. John Jarman, who has filled that office ever since the year 1803, and the congregation is wealthy and respectable. The services on the Sabbath are at halfpast ten, half-past two, and halfpast six, and on Wednesday evening at seven. At the back of the chapel is a large building appropriated as a Sabbath school, but their burying ground, a necessary adjunct to a Baptist church, is at a distance, being situated in Mount-street. Immediately adjoining this chapel, and facing George-street, the new,

Roman Catholic Chapel


is now building. It bids fair to be one of the most elegant structures in the town; it is of the Grecian order, with a handsome stone front, and is built throughout with most substantial materials. It is 83 feet long, by 41 broad.— Here, within the short distance of 100 yards, on the Sabbath-day, three widely different modes of religious worship will be performing, to the only wise and true God, at one and the same time. The Baptist, with his one ceremony, is offering up his prayer, without any of the pageantry of outward show. The worshippers of the cross, emblazon their ritual, with all the imposing ceremonies of the ancient Catholic church, and that too, in the very face of her rebellious but more fortunate daughter, the Church of England as by law established, for, on the other side of the street, stands

St Paul's Chapel


This place is an appendage to St Mary's church, and was erected in the year 1822, having a stone front, but the other part being brick. In the copula at the top, is a single bell, which is rung at service hours, which are at halfpast ten and at three every Sabbath. The interior is light and handsome, with spacious galleries, which are all free for strangers and the poor, and the entrance to which are the two side doors, while the middle door admits those who take pews in the body of the church, and the proceeds of these pews are setapart as the salary for the minister. Returning along George-street, at the north west corner stands

Parliament Street Chapel


the front of which faces Parliament-street. This place of worship was built in the year 1816, and is occupied by the Methodists of the New Connexion, who separated from the large body of Methodists in the year 1797; and in the vestry attached to this chapel, is a monumental inscription to the memory of the Rev. Alexander Kilham, the founder of this division of the Methodist body. This is a light and pleasant place of worship, and the largest but one in the town, belonging to the dissenters, being seventy-three feet long by forty-eight wide. Service is performed therein on the Sabbath at halfpast ten and six, and on Monday evenings at seven. We will now go up Glasshouse-street, leading to St Ann's-street, at the corner of which is


belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists. This is a small building, erected in 1824. Here there is a Sabbath school in the morning, and preaching every Sunday afternoon and night, and in the week-day it is most usefully occupied as an Infant School. Up St. Ann's-street is the direct road to St. Ann's Well, or as it is sometimes called, Robin Hood's Well, having been a favorite residence of that far. famed outlaw. This place is about a mile from Nottingham, and is resorted to by the town's people as a tea garden, and also for the use of its well, which has been converted into a bath, the water of which is exceedingly cold. The place however, of late years has been much neglected, and fallen into decay. It would lead us too far out of our way to describe any further, we therefore turn up York-street, on the east side of which formerly stood St. Michael's church; the top of York-street leads us on to the Mansfield-road, which has of late been made a beautiful entrance into the town from the north. On each side of this road are extensive fields, those to the east being called the Clay Fields, and those to the west have gained the appellation of the Sand Fields, from the difference of the soil. These fields, which contain 654 acres, are commonable to. the burgesses and some of the other inhabitants, from the 12th of August to the 12th of November. At the top of Mansfield-road, upon the Forest, is a hill on which criminals have been executed time immemorial, and hence called Gallows-hill. Within the last year, many bodies have been found when taking down the hill, which has given rise to many conjectures, but the general opinion is, that they are the remains of criminals, formerly buried at the foot of the gallows. On the Forest, which contains 124 acres, are also the


Nottingham is one of the towns which has the King's plate, and the present race course, which is nearly of an oval form, was made in the year 1813. The stand was erected in 1777, under the patronage of Sir C. Sedley, and is a brick building, two stories high, the front and ends of which have pillars, supporting a handsome piazza. The races are generally held at the latter end of July or the beginning of August. Immediately adjoining the stand, is the large Cricket Ground, on which many matches of this noble game have been played; a game which is highly conducive to health, and of which the men of Nottingham have just cause to be proud, having proved, that considering their advantages, they are second to none in England. We will now return past Gallows-hill to the back of the Mansfield-road, where are the


which supply this part of the town with a copious stream of water drawn from a spring by means of a powerful steam engine. Immediately adjoining, is the


surrounded by a stone wall, the land being given to that persecuted and despised body of people, by the Corporation of Nottingham. In the wall is the following incription:—

Jews Burying Ground
The Gift of the Corporation of Nottingham
Built by voluntary Subscription
AM. 5583.