Radford Folly

Radford Folly

IT is hard to realise that the dirty and derelict brick building standing amidst dreary surroundings in St. Peter’s-street, off Radford-boulevard, and which we speak of as Radford Folly was once a very popular pleasure resort and the rendezvous of the young men and maidens of Nottingham. It was in fact, a century ago, the local Vauxhall and its beauties,

its illuminations and its fireworks enjoyed an extended celebrity. About 1790, a certain William Elliott bought a considerable tract of ground about here, built for himself a country seat and laid out this grounds with an artificial lake filled by the waters of the then clear, flowing Leen.

In this lake was an island on which was erected a pleasant look— out tower from whose summit an extensive and rural View could be obtained.

After Mr. Elliott’s death the estate was bought by Mr. Charles Sutton, who let it to a man called Parr and under the name of Radford Grove it became a popular tea-garden.

Boats could be hired on the lake in summer and in winter the waters were used by skaters. One side of the lake was ornamented by a wooden fence on which was painted a highly coloured representation of the Bay of Naples.

Radford Folly

This work of art was at intervals illuminated by coloured lamps and further attractions such as fetes and fireworks made Radford Grove a cheerful and pleasant place of recreation. After a time Mr. Sutton took possession of the property and altered it into a private residence in which he lived for some time.

After his death it passed through various hands. The lake was filled up and the glories departed and now only the sad looking "Radford Folly" remains as a memento of the almost forgotten joys of "Radford Grove."