Shipstone's Brewery, New Basford (photo: A Nicholson, 2005).
Shipstone's Brewery, New Basford (photo: A Nicholson, 2005).

Changes. New Basford has greatly changed during the last half-century. The large factories then built, and filled with lace machinery, are now in several cases otherwise occupied. The building of lace machines has been largely developed, with the result that such machines have been sent into other towns and places—into Scotland, the Continent, America, and indeed all over the world, where like standard rates of wages have not prevailed—there following keen competition, lower wages, the widening of machines, the removal of machines through deaths, fires, failures, and all the changes that come in life. Two breweries—one Mr. Losco Bradley's, and the very large one of Messrs. Shipstone, with its maltings, bottling, and minerals—have been established, as has also Messrs. Newball & Mason's manufacturing chemicals and essences. Bleaching, lace dressing, hosiery dyeing, engineering, brass founding, wicker working, perambulator making, gas meter works, etc., have been established.

Bagnall.   Bagnall is between Bulwell and Basford, yet in Basford parish. There are extensive dye works, and on Bagnall Road are several superior residences, one of which used to have "the smallest deer park in England."

Dob Park. I have not met with any explanation of this name. Sixty years ago it looked a very poverty-stricken lane, with stocking-maker's cottages at the top, and soot caves at the bottom. The one item of information to an enquirer was that Henry Bamford, who fought Ben Gaunt and Bendigo, lived there. The district has greatly improved.

Cinder Hill. Cinder Hill is said to take its name from the lime-kilns that formerly stood near to the Colliers' Arms, and which were extensively used for burning lime. Near to here the four parishes of Basford, Bulwell, Nuthall, and Bilborough converge, the church and school being in the first named parish, the colliery offices in the second, and the colliery in the third. The latter was established in 1842, by Mr. Thos. North (see page 126), and his initials appear on several of the buildings. Christ Church was built in 1856, the foundation stone being laid by the Duke of Newcastle. The Brickyards were established about 1851, and they with the collieries are now worked by the Babbington Coal Co. The Primitives have a Chapel here. There was a dear toll bar here on the Nottingham and Alfreton Road, established 1758-9 and abolished 1877. That toll bar was kept many years by John Plowright, a noted Baptist local preacher, and afterwards by Mr. Housley, whose son Henry Housley studied music, took the degree of F.B.C.O., and is now the organist of Denver Cathedral.

Basford Hall. Basford Hall is a modern building, probably on the site of one of the very old manors. It has some fine trees and grounds.

Two-Mile Houses. Two-Mile Houses on the Alfreton Road, more than three miles from Nottingham, had formerly a large brass and iron foundry, and in 1832 it had a large establishment for singeing lace by gas, belonging to Samuel Hall & Co. The "Starch House," a four-storey building, is now the residence of  Mrs.  Meadows, Nursery Gardens. Napoleon Square has the usual "T.N." initials, 1853. How fond Mr. North was of building cottages on three sides of a square, securing the children a good play ground. There is a saw mill and sand quarry.

Whitemoor. Whitemoor by its name carries us back to the days when a moor probably had some white flowers growing. It had a warp lace factory. It has a Baptist place of worship, also a soap manufactory and oil works.

A spring rises in a field between Broxtowe and Bobbers Mill which had the property of petrifying the moss growing on the banks. The water sprang from under the roots of a tree, now cut down, and used to be considered good for strengthening weak eyes.

Annexation. Basford was annexed to and became part of Nottingham in 1877. A Leen District Sewerage Board had been formed for making a great intercepting sewer right through the parish, and this work, together with the work of the Local Board of Health, the School Board and the Burial Board, were taken over by the Corporation, to the great advantage of the health and social convenience of the people. Basford was taken out of the Basford Union in 1899, and now forms part of the Parish, as well as of the City of Nottingham.

Water. The water supply is naturally good, for in addition to the Leen there are three unfailing brooks, and further there are abundant springs such as at Springfield works. There are besides many wells in connection with bleach yards, breweries, and other works. There were at Scotholme three springs and a reservoir opened out in 1827, but these are no longer in use. All the houses had wells, and when these became impure, tanks were placed near to the bleach yards, for drinking purposes, and water ran from the bleachers' pumped supply, but now the public supply is laid on to all houses. At Haydn Road Station water is pumped to the extent of about two million gallons per day, from a depth of 246 feet of Bunter Sandstone.

Gas Works. The Gas Works are very extensive and up-to-date. Seven million cubic feet of gas daily is made from seven hundred tons of coal.

The Baths. The Baths on Vernon Road, near to the Great Northern Station, were opened in 1908. 10,000 bathers (including 10,000 school children, for whom tuition in learning to swim is provided) have attended in one year, and nearly 6.000 patronized the washing baths. A successful and popular swimming club has been organised. The baths are regarded as a great boon to the locality, tending to promote cleanliness, and the development of bodily powers. Every child should learn to swim; every girl should learn washing and laundry work.

Vernon Park. Vernon Park is a beautiful recreation ground of 181/4 acres, with its lake and islands, shrubberies, cricket, football and bowling grounds. It was bought and furnished by the Corporation in 1900, at a cost of £11,750. The ornamental grounds were formerly attached to the house of Mr. Chas. Cox. They are now well used for rest, recreation, and all kinds of athletic sports.

Schools. There are National Schools at Old and New Basford, and Cinder Hill, with accommodation for 1860 children, and there are Council Schools at Old Basford (Percy Street, Southwark Street and Scotland Place) and at New Basford (Radford Road) having accommodation for 2418 children.

It may be noted that there were in Basford, in 1844, sixteen "academies," four of them being boarding and day schools, perhaps the most prominent being Thos. Wroughton's, Mill Street. Notice "Academy Place.''

Nine out of ten of these three or four thousand children will have to earn their living by manual labour, therefore every part of the body, mind and soul requires development in order to equip them properly to discharge the duties of life.

Boys. There is a Boys' Brigade Company at St. Augustine's. There are troops of Diocesan Boy Scouts at St. Aidan's, having an Institute, and at Cinder Hill having a Bugle Ban 24-Jun-2014 are for men in the making.

A thousand years ago every Basford boy over twelve had to go up to Broxtowe Hall, and there touching the weapon of his superior officer to swear fealty, obedience, and service. Broxtowe was then the great meeting-place for the Wapentake, or district, which reached from the Trent and Erewash to Blidworth, and beyond Mansfield. The form has long been dispensed with, but the obligation continues, not for war, but for peace, for hardiness, usefulness, smartness, courtesy, self-control, the welfare of our country, the honour of God. Such an effort ought to be connected with every large school, but alas, there are few young fellows who will devote themselves as officers to the work, although they would be amply repaid.

Sunday Schools. The report of the Nottingham Sunday School Union shows there are in the area included in this paper connected with that Union 18 schools, having 370 teachers, and 2,815 scholars.

There are very vigorous schools in connection with the Church of England, besides other parochial institutions.

All these bodies are, according to their ability, promoting a knowledge of God, leading to the love and practice of goodness, truth and righteousness, and the building up of noble characters.

Bands of Hope. The report of the Nottingham and Notts. Band Union shows that there are 20 Bands of Hope in the district teaching that water is best.

Libraries. There are public libraries and reading rooms in temporary, or hired buildings, at New and Old Basford. The Libraries Committee for some years have reported in favour of a new and central building There are about 16,000 books, the daily average issue being 251, and the daily average attendance is 707. Fiction predominates largely at New Basford, but this is not so at Old Basford. From New Basford Library the schools of the district are directly provided with suitable stocks of books, and last year 21,501 were so issued. Doubtless the children are taught that reading in order to be profitable must lead to thinking, and thinking to action, and the enlightened mind and conscience choosing right paths, with a determination to persevere, thus assuring success, which is the formation of character.