The Tramways. The tramways have proved a great social convenience. The cars drawn by horses were first started by the Nottingham Tramways Company, Limited, on September 17th, 1878, and they continued to run to and from Sherwood and Basford, until the Corporation electric lines were formed. The electric cars started—Sherwood, January 1st, 1901; Bulwell, July 23rd. 1901; Nottingham Road, July 7th, 1902. The trams to Ripley are in 1913 in course of construction.

Railways. There are five stations: the Midland (1848), Great Northern (1878), Great Central (1895), and Suburban Railway (1887), rendering access, and conveyance of goods readily convenient.

Miners. Basford has the honour of having the offices of the Notts. Miners' Association, and the residences of the permanent paid officials—who at present are Messrs. Hancock, Spencer and Bunfield—on the Nottingham Road. That association includes the miners working in every pit in the county, and has nearly 33,000 members. It is powerful, not only in numbers, but its accumulated funds amount to £187,000. One excellent work it does is to pay £500 a month in old age pensions to persons who must be over 60, but are not entitled to the government pension. Nearly 500 persons are in receipt of 5/- per week. The unfortunate strike of 1912 cost the association £105,000. If to this is added the loss sustained by the men, the colliery proprietors, railway companies, manufacturers, traders, householders, and the public generally, it will be seen what a terrible thing a strike is, what a doubtful remedy. How much better to resort to impartial arbitration.

The figures given above show that it is of vital importance that such an association must have as its officials men of business capacity, sterling integrity, courtesy and firmness, and in these respects length of service is the best testimonial.

Basford Union. According to the report of the Charity Commissioners in 1839, there was in the parish of Bulwell a field of about ten acres in the occupation of the Basford United House of Industry, at a rental of £20 a year, which the parish of Ruddington had long enjoyed, hut of its origin nothing was known.

The Union was formed in 1836 for thirty-eight parishes in Notts, and five in Derbyshire, but the parishes of Basford, Bulwell and North Wilford were in 1899 removed from its operations, when the City of Nottingham was formed into one complete parish. Mr. J. D. Walker was chairman of the Board 1872-8, Mr. J. Widdowson 1879-81, Mr. E. G. Hanson 1882-99, Mr. W. J. Furse 1900-13.

The Workhouse stands partly in Basford, and partly in Bulwell parishes, and provides room for 418 persons. The system of classification is not adopted. There are 56 children in the house, and 54 are boarded out.

Hospital. The Hospital, or Rural District Sanatorium, was built in 1896, on the road to Bulwell Forest, at a cost of £11,625. It has accommodation for 28 patients, and is now used for infectious diseases.

District Council. The Basford Rural District Council consists of  the same gentlemen who are Guardians. It was formed in 1894. Its offices are in Nottingham Road, and it has charge of the roads, sewers, water, building plans, etc., in the parishes in the Union, excluding those having Corporations, or Urban District Councils.

Cemeteries. The Churchyard being full, a cemetery of two acres was given in 1842 by the Duke of Newcastle, and that too is said to be full, but it does not so appear, for the ground has largely been levelled, and is well grass covered. It seems a pity that this Cemetery should always be locked up, for the situation is a bracing one, and near to a large population. Could it not be opened say on Sunday afternoons for several hours? One of the objects of interest there is a column erected by Mr. Thomas Bailey, the historian, in the grounds of Basford House, to commemorate the passing of the Reform Act in 1832, and removed when the property was sold, and re-erected in the cemetery to perpetuate the memory of his friend, Mr. R. B. Spencer, whose body rests near. It is sad to see that Mr. Bailey's memorial stone is rapidly decaying. Part of the inscription is now illegible, and the whole will in a few years be gone. The tombs and gravestones of the families of Fox, Hall, Tebbutt, Marx, etc., are in evidence. The first one erected is said to have been to Joseph Pearson, who died in 1848, aged 70.

The Cemetery on Nottingham Road consists of six acres, opened in 1874, but it will soon be filled. There was great lack of foresight shown in securing such a limited area, with costly buildings, which will have only a limited use, while the cost of interments must be increased by distance, and ''the last scene of all that ends this strange eventful history" will have to be performed elsewhere.

Population. The population of Basford was in 1801, 2,124; 1851, 10,098; 1901, 27,119. The figures for 1911 are not  published separately, but the united parishes of Basford and Bulwell, which had in 1901 a population of 41,888, had in 1911 53,208.

For the history of other parts of the parish of Basford, see No. 5 of "Then and Now" series.


The author of "Annals of Notts." writing in Basford in 1853, said that " in local histories, almost everywhere, too much space was appropriated to archaeological, genealogical, and topographical description, and too little devoted to those subjects relating to the lives of eminent individuals connected with such localities," etc. One parish cannot be expected to produce many "eminent individuals," but Basford has had its share of good and useful men, some of whom are noted in this paper. It may be some are given who were notables, not worthies. There have been more good women than men, but alas! there is no record of them.

WILLIAM DE ELAND was the King's servant, and in 1380 had the custody of Nottingham Castle, for the Governor of the Castle was away at the wars. King Edward II—a worthless man—had been in 1327 murdered with fiendish cruelty in Berkeley Castle, and his son being a child a regency was formed, but was largely overridden by the wicked Dowager Queen Isabella, who sometimes lived in Nottingham Castle with her paramour, Roger, Earl of March, and who surrounded the young King with creatures selected in order to keep him in ignorance. When, however, the young King became eighteen years of age he determined to exercise his rightful authority, for which purpose it was necessary to get the Earl of March out of the way. The King deemed it necessary to secure the aid of William de Eland, who lived at his manor of Algarthorpe, in Basford parish, and who probably went to and from the Castle on horseback daily. When William Eland heard the King's will he solemnly swore that he would risk life and limb in the King's service. The Queen sent a messenger in the night of October 18th, 1330, to William Eland requiring the keys of the Castle, and so she locked herself in, but the following night the King. William de Clinton (an ancestor of the Duke of Newcastle), and others left Algarthorpe House, in Basford, and proceeded through Radford to the Castle, where they, guided by William Eland, ascended through Mortimer's Hole, where Eland cautiously opened the door, and lo! they were in the heart of the Castle, where was a guard of a hundred and eighty Knights, two of whom were smitten down. Mortimer was apprehended, rushed off to London, and hanged, and Edward III established on the throne, on which he sat for fifty years.

The reward of William Eland for his services came about six years afterwards, by his receiving the bailewick of the Court of the Honour of Peverel, in the counties of Nottingham and Derby for life.

WILHELMAS DE ELAND was elected Knight of the Shire for Parliament in 1836.

The REV. JOHN CLARKE, M.A., Rector of Cotgrave, in 1602, was ejected under the Act of Uniformity, and settled in Basford. He was a good scholar, a profitable preacher, and had some skill in physic, which he practised gratis. He died in 1669, aged 89, and was interred in the chancel of Basford Church. His gravestone is now fixed against the southern outer wall, and tells that he served God in his generation till he fell asleep.

HENRY WARD is described as the "oldest inhabitant" of Notts., was buried in Basford Church in 1736. He qualified to vote in 1734, at the age of 106, although he had been entitled to be put upon the roll of freemen from the age of 21. His tomb stands outside the west end, adjoining the southern porch, where it is stated that he departed this life on March 1st, 1735, aged 108 years

ROBERT HALL was a bleacher, and afterwards a spinner of cotton and wool, or Angola yarn. " He was a scientific man, who if he did not discover, was one of the very first to use chloride of lime in bleaching." He proved himself to be a practical chemist by the application of science to a highly important object. The advantage of this discovery was that by it goods, which under the old plan would have required to be exposed to air and light a month in process, can now be bleached in one day. He was an estimable man, active in religious work, and a good citizen. By his love of scientific experiments he gave an impulse to the minds of two of his sons. The celebrated Dr. John Higginbottom, F.R.S., ''the Teetotal Doctor," whose views on alcohol were adopted by medical men two generations afterwards, married his daughter.

He lived in the house now called Basford Hall, and in 1796 he built in his own grounds, and principally at his own expense and for his own people, the chapel on the northern side of Stock well Lane. When the country gentry were in constant alarm for their lives and property, owing to the Luddites smashing machines, he received a letter signed "Ned Lud," assuring him that not a hair of his head should be touched, and it was not, but his extensive cotton mill and works years afterwards, in 1820, caught fire and were destroyed. He died in 1827, aged 71.

SAMUEL HALL assisted his father in spinning and bleaching, and chemical investigations, at which he worked with unwearied diligence and perseverance. He discovered, and in 1817 patented the process of singeing off the fluff, floss, or rough hairs on cotton goods by passing them rapidly over hot cylinders, or through a flame. Mr. Felkin says that by this patent he gained £50,000 He took out several other patents, one in 1828 for gassing frames, and other inventions, in which he was very successful. His works were at Two Mile Houses. His Royal Highness the Duke of Sussex came to inspect the gassing process, and had lunch at Mr. Hall's house. He was kind, hospitable, and cheerful. He died in 1863.