Sketch plans of the churches of three English Cluniac priories built about the same time as Lenton Priory.
The eastern end of the first church of Castle Acre Priory was erected at the end of the 11th century and the beginning of the 12th. At Thetford the monastic buildings were first occupied in 1114. The church of Lewes Priory was consecrated at some date before 1198. In the 13th century the east end of the original Norman church at Thetford was extended and squared. At Castle Acre the extension eastward did not take place until early in the 14th century. (See official guides.) The site plan accompanying this paper indicates the difficulty of deciding whether the east end of the monastic church at Lenton was extended and squared. Old Church Street crosses the portion of the site originally occupied by the extreme end of the church.