Interior of Factory—Bottling and Washing Department.
Interior of Factory—Bottling and Washing Department.

In conclusion, we have to express to Messrs. Dalgleish and Sons our indebtedness for an interesting object lesson in a field of industry but little explored by the ordinary individual, and which has given us a most gratifying experience in the inspection of an establishment admirably organized and equipped for the large and increasingly important business controlled by this enterprising firm.


Saw Millers, Joinery and Moulding Manufacturers, Timber Merchants and Importers, London Road, NOTTINGHAM.

John Ashworth and George Harry Kirk

IN reviewing the industrial progress of Nottingham and its environs within the present century, it would be impossible to ignore as a contributing factor to that development the important group of mercantile and manufacturing activities represented by the firm of Messrs. Ashworth, Kirk and Co., Limited, whose immense premises are amongst the largest concerns of the kind in the Midland Counties. The history of the rise and progress of the great business furnishes an interesting chapter in the records of Nottingham enterprise. Originally founded in Parkinson Street by the late Mr. William Hammersley, in 1842, the business was taken over by the present firm in 1878, and continued at that address until 1890, when, to meet the requirements of the continuous extension of their operations, they transferred the concern to the more commodious site now occupied. The location could hardly have been better selected, the ground—about four acres in extent—being bounded on two sides by the Great Northern and Midland Railway systems, having sidings connected direct, while the canal runs at the rear portion, affording exceptional facilities for the transport of goods and materials to and from the premises. The approach to the works is by a thoroughfare called Eastcroft, and there is also a frontage to London Road of about 400 feet, from which is entered the suite of finely-appointed offices appropriated to the clerical, managerial and administrative staffs, and heads of departments. The main building is a lofty structure of red brick, having an elevation of three storeys, and extending to a frontage of 200 feet, the ground floor of which is occupied as the principal saw mill. This department has been specially designed for the purpose, and is provided with large double doors at either end, so that the material can be conveniently handled and passed through without the slightest trouble or confusion. The mill is completely equipped with a splendid modern plant, consisting of circular saw benches, vertical frames, moulding machines, lightning planers, pendulum cross-cut saws, and a horizontal saw. Passing through this building to the rear, we are next introduced to the supplementary mills, in one of which is laid down a large horizontal double-blade saw, of which we give an illustration; and here, also, are two other floor-board planing machines, a circular saw bench, and moulding machine. In this building, also, is the packing-case making department, fitted with the requisite appliances for this work, and here, too, are the saw-sharpening and knife-grinding shops.