|The Building where the Business of the Parish is conducted. Erected in 1880 from designs by the then Surveyor, Mr. Mc. W. Bishop..|
The year 1866 saw the last of the old Highway Board under which authority the business of the parish was then conducted, and at that period the new order of things, viz., the Local Government Act, was adopted with a certain amount of misgiving by a section of the ratepayers on December 13th, 1865. The number voting in its favour was 216, as against 173, majority 48. At the termination of the old Local Board, the last meeting of which was held in the small room of the Town Hall on Friday, December 7th, 1894, several bills were placarded on the walls of the room, one of which contained the following notice:—"Fellow Townsmen: You are respectfully requested to preserve this record that you and your children may know who it was that brought you under this expensive and ruinous system.'' A notice with reference to the past rates and the chairmen ran as follows:—Year, 1866; Rates, 10d.; Chairman, W. Oates; 1867, ls. 8d„ W. Oates; 1868, ls. 8d., W. Oates; 1869, 1s. 8d., W. Oates; 1870, ls. 8d., W. Oates; 1871, ls. 8d., W. Oates; 1872, 2s. 6d., C. Oscroft; 1873, 2s. 11d., J. Pickard; 1874, 2s. 1d., J. Pickard; 1875, 1s. 8d., J. K. Daubeny; 1876, 2s. 11d.. J. K. Daubeny; 1877, 2s. 11d., J. K. Daubeny; 1878, 3s 9d., J. K. Daubeny; 1879. 3s.4 d., J. K. Daubeny; 1880. 3s. 4d., S. Littlewood; 1881, 8s. 8d., S. Littlewood; 1882. 3s. 8d., J. G. Allsop; 1883, 3s. 8d., W. Shaw; 1884, 3s. 4d., J. Pickard; 1885, 3s. 8d.. M. Fox; 1886, 4s 6d., J. Pickard; 1887, 4s 3d., J. G. Allsop; 1888. 4s., J. Briggs; 1889, 4s. E. Bonser; 1890, 4s.. F. Tudsbury; 1891, 3s 8d., A. H. Bonser; 1892. 5s 6d., J. C. Sampson; 1893, 4s. 6d., M. Jarvis; 1894, 3s. 8d„ G. G. Bonser. The members present at the last meeting of the old Local Board in 1894 were—Messrs. G. G. Bonser (chairman), C. H. Kitchen. J. Briggs. J. Pickard, H. Shaw, A. H. Bonser, H. Boot, J. D. Bailey, J. C. Sampson, B. Walton, J, R. Butterworth, J. G. Allsop, S. D. Hibbert, F. Tudsbury, and Dr. Littlewood. At the close of the meeting Mr. G. G. Bonser entertained the members to refreshments, and afterwards gave a resume of the work of the old Local Board from its formation in 1860. A few of the items were as follows:—The first meeting of the New Board was held on Wednesday, 10th September, 1866, and the following gentlemen were the first members: Messrs. Wm. Oates, W. Mart, W. Adlington, C. Oscroft, S. Hardwick, K. Lenile, G. Kitchen, G. Clarke, J. K. Daubeny, C. Tudsbury, W. Parker, Smul. Wilson, H. S. Charlton. J. Pickard. and the Rev. W. B. Stevens. The Rev. W. B. Stevens and Mr. Oates having been proposed as Chairman, a division was taken with the result that Mr. Oates was elected. Mr. W. J. Kirk was appointed Clerk, and the first business was a unanimous resolution to light the Town Streets with gas; this having been one of the burning questions of the election, "Light or darkness, that was the question?" Mr. John Chambers was appointed Surveyor, and an application to borrow £200 for the purchasing of lamp-posts was made to the Secretary of State. Mr. Benjamin Oscroft was appointed Treasurer. The Rev. Wm. B. Stevens died before the November meeting, and a resolution of regret was passed. Mr. S. Littlewood was appointed to fill the vacancy. On September 2nd. 1867. Messrs. Daubeny, Adlington, Lenile, Wilson, and Littlewood were retiring members, and Messrs. Daubeny, Adlington, Littlewood, W. Beecroft, and W. Beeley were elected. On March 1st, 1869, it was decided to admit a reporter. After a public meeting, the adoption of Section 50 of the Local Government Act. 1868, relating to the establishment of markets was moved by Mr. W. Parker and seconded by Mr. G. Kitchen, and unanimously carried August 2nd. 1869. In April, 1870, Mr. Richard Adlington was appointed collector of the General District Rate and Inspector of Nuisances, the rates having been heretofore collected by the Clerk. In January, 1871, the market lots were sold to Mr. W. Dove for £43 per annum, and in July, 1871, a water cart was bought. In January, 1878, the sanction of the Local Government Board to the loan for the purchase of the Gas Works was received. On March 14th the final agreement between the Gas Committee and the Local Government Board was sealed and signed by the whole of the members. The Minute Book of proceedings from September, 1879, to August, 1882, is missing, and only draft minutes exist from August, 1880, to August, 1882. There was a change of clerkship at this time, and there was much feeling in the parish on the subject. In Deoember, 1880, the Board moved into the new offices, and the School Board was allowed the use of the room. In June, 1883, fast trains commenced to stop at Sutton. In 1884, the Waterworks question was taken into consideration, and after proposals to pump near Cauldwell Dam and on Coxmoor had been abandoned, it was agreed to select a site near Harlow Wood. The site having been purchased from the Duke of Portland, Messrs. Hodson and Walker were appointed engineers at 5 per cent. upon the outlay, with travelling expenses out of pocket, but no commission on lands purchased or legal expenses. In July, tenders were received for constructing the Works, varying from £9,547 to £6,000, and for pipes from £4,658 to £3,432. The former tender was adjourned for enquiry, and the latter from Stanton Co. was accepted. In July, the tender of Messrs. Foster & Barry to carry out the contract No. 1 for £7,700 was accepted. In January, 1886, the Board decided to supply Huthwaite with water, and on October 6th of the same year the Works were formally opened by Mr. Unwin-Heathcote, the new engine being named "Hygoeia." On May 20th, 1884, Messrs. W. Straw, J. G. Allsop, and M. Fox were appointed a committee to purchase the Cemetery land at a cost not exceeding £1000. In January, 1887, a Fire Brigade of 11 members was formed.
The Urban District Council was formed in 1895, in succession to the Local Board. The members of the first Council were—Mr. G. G. Bonser (chairman), Mr. J. Pickard (vice-chairman), Messrs. J. R. Butterworth, J. D. Fidler, H. Boot F. Tudsbury, A. Jepson, J. C. Sampson, H. Shaw, J. D. Bailey, A. H. Bonser, J. G. Allsop, J. Briggs, senr., E. Pepper, and C. H. Kitchen.
In 1907, the Council consisted of—Mr. E. Pepper (chairman), Mr. J. Briggs, junr. (vice-chairman), Dr. Mitchell, Messrs. H. S. Shacklock. G. Stevenson, C. H. Kitchen, T. Tudsbury, W. Collins, G. A. Spencer, A. Jarvis, C. Bristol, L. E. Sidebottom, A. Lupton, F. W. Beeley, A. Marsh, J. Graves, F. F. Hibbert, and W. Stevenson.
The Council was increased from 15 to 18 Members in 1895.
The following is a list of Chairmen from the formation of the Council to 1907:—December, 1894, to April, 1895, Mr. G. G. Bonser; 1895-6, Mr. G. G. Bonser; 1896-7, Mr. J. C. Sampson; 1897-1898, Mr. J. C. Sampson; 1898-1899, Mr. A. H. Bonser; 1899-1900, Mr. J. Pickard; 1900-1901, Mr. J. Briggs, senr.; 1901-1902. H. Shaw; 1902-1903. Mr. F. Tudsbury; 1903-1904, Mr. W. Collins; 1904-1905, Mr. H. Boot; 1905-1906, Mr. H. Boot; 1906-1907, Mr. C. H. Kitchen; 1907, Mr. E. Pepper.
Clerk to the Council (£125) and to Gas Committee (£75)—Mr. John D. Fidler, Solicitor. Forest Street, Sutton.
Surveyor (£160)—Mr. W. Burn, Assoc. M. Inst., C.E., Spring Side, Kirkby Road, Sutton.
Assistant Surveyor (£80)—Mr. C. E. Hodson, Sutton.
Treasurer (£5)—Mr. John Birch, Union of London and Smiths' Bank, Ltd., Mansfield.
Medical Officer of Health (£70)—Dr. R. Nesbitt, J.P., High Pavement, Sutton.
Sanitary Inspector (£130)—Mr. Frank Spetch, Howard Street, Sutton.
Collector of General District Rate (£75)—Mr. T. Whitehead, Outram Street, Sutton.
Gas and Water Manager (£150)—Mr. Thomas Robinson, Short Street, Sutton.
Collector of Cemetery Fees and Book-keeper Gas and Water Departments (£130)—Mr. E. Croft, Stoney Street, Sutton.
Collector of Gas and Water Rentals and Private Works Accounts (£80)—Mr. G. A. Briggs, Stoney Street. Sutton.
Librarian, Free Library (£52)—Mr. C. G. Burton, Walton Street, Sutton.
Caretaker of Lawn (£54 12s.)— Mr. H. Parnell, Sutton.
Cherrivale Farm, Blidworth, purchased in 1895 for £1,050.
The Depot, situate between Church Street and Alfreton Road, comprising about an acre of land, on which is erected two cottages, with stables, stores, and other buildings.
A Field, adjoining the footpath leading from Penn Street to the Hillocks, Forest Side, at present used for a tip for ashes.
The Settling Tanks, adjoining the footpath from Bowne Street to the Lawn Pleasure Ground.
A Piece of Land, containing about an acre, situate at Station Road. Sutton, used as a garden.
A Piece of Land, comprising about an acre, situate in Norman's Wood.
Meetings of Council are held on the second Tuesday in each month at Seven p.m.
The Gas Works, situate in Outram Street, containing an area of 1a. 3r. 9p., and comprising retort house, exhauster and boiler house, purifying house, tower scrubber, washer scrubber, two gasholders, workshops, sheds, station meter house, offices, surveyor's office, Council room. etc. The undertaking was purchased from the Sutton-in-Ashfield Gas Light and Coke Company in 1878. for £16,250. A piece of land purchased from the representatives of John Gelsthorpe (deceased) for £1,050. 4,500 sq. yards of land were sold to the Great Northern Railway Company in 1898 for £2,272 10s. 11d. A piece of land containing an area of 11,823 s.q. yards was purchased from the representatives of S. Unwin (deceased) in 1904. for £566 3s. The total expenditure on Capital Account has been £37,313. Loans now outstanding £31,713. In Sinking Fund £9,406. Mr. J. H. Smith was formerly manager.
The town was first lighted with gas in 1852 under Lord Portman's Act from the Outram Street works, which were erected by a Company with a capital of £2,200 in £10 shares. The late Mr, C. Plumbe was then the Secretary to the Company. The occasion was signalised by special illuminations at. appointed centres in the town in the evening, and the inhabitants hailed its introduction with much enthusiasm. The storage site now in Outram Street was formerly used for allotment gardens.
In 1904, the Kirkby-in-Ashfield Urban District Council having obtained an Act of Parliament empowering them to establish gas works and supply their own district, gave notice to the Sutton-in-Ashfield U.D.C. to purchase that portion of their undertaking that was within the parish of Kirkby. Not being able to agree upon the price, nn Arbitration was held in July, 1905, at the Surveyors' Institute, London, before Mr. A. J. Ram, K.C., which resulted in an Award of £13,234 being made in favour of the Sutton U.D.C.
Gas is now supplied in the Skegby parish from the Sutton works, and negotiations are now pending in regard to supplying Huthwaite with gas.
A movement is on foot with the object of extending the works and making other improvements in Outram and Forest Streets.
Rushley Pumping Station, at which is erected engine and boiler houses and engine driver's dwelling-house. The Reservoir constructed on land at Coxmoor. Auxiliary Pumping Station at corner of Hucknall Road and Alfreton Road, Sutton. Water Reservoir at Huthwaite for supplying Blackwell and South Normanton with water. Total expenditure on Capital Account £39,739. Loans now outstanding £22,013.
The Cemetery, which is situate at the entrance to Hucknall Road and adjacent to the ancient churchyard, was opened on May 24th, 1892. It comprises an area of about 27,000 sq. yards, none of which has been consecrated. On the occasion of the opening Mr. J. Briggs, senr., was presented with a silver key bearing the following inscription:—"Presented to John Briggs, Chairman of the Sanitary Committee, by the Sutton-in-Ashfield Local Board, on the occasion of the opening of the Cemetery May 24th, 1892." The key was enclosed in a case, which was inscribed:—"J. B., May 24th, 1892." Amongst those present at the opening were:— Messrs. J. C. Sampson (Chairman of Board), J. Briggs, senr., Jas. Hayes, H. Bonser, S. Stevenson, F. Tudsbury, J. Pickard, M. Fox, R. Askew, F. Brooks. S. D. Hibbert, G. G. Bonser, H. Boot, A. H. Bonser, B. Walton, H. Shaw, M. Jarvis, J. G. Allsop, W. M. Oates, Dr. Littlewood, Dr. Nesbitt (M.O.H.), Revs. W. H. Meir and J. Waggott, Messrs. G. H. Hibbort (Clerk), Mc W. Bishop (Surveyor) J. R. Burrows (Sanitary Inspector). The late Mr. John Dove. framework-knitter, was the first to be interred on May 110th, 1892.
Rateable Value of District to Poor Rate, £37,861.
Assessable Value for General District Rate, £33,814.
Area of District in Acres, 1,855.
Total Population at all Ages,14,862 (at the Census of 1901).
The Sutton-in-Ashfield Local Board Gas Act, 1878.
" " Urban District Council (Water) Act, 1901
The Infectious Diseases (Notification) Act, 1889.
The Private Street Works Act, 1892.
Part 3 of the Public Health Acts Amendment Act, 1890.
The Baths and Washhouses Acts.
The Public Libraries' Act, 1892.
An Isolation Hospital was erected on Coxmoor in 1894, and Six years later another wing was added thereto, whilst a caretaker's house was also built at the same time.
In December, 1905, the sewerage (a large portion) and sewage disposal works were completed, the latter being on the bacterial system. The total cost was between £22,000 and £23.000. The remaining portion of the town is now being sewered at a further cost of about £8,000.
The Award for the parish of Sutton-in-Ashfield was passed in the year 1801.
The following have officiated as Clerks to the old Local Board and Urban District Council:—Mr. W. J. Kirk (appointed 1866), Mr. J. E. Burrows. Mr. D. Heath (solicitor, Nottingham), Mr. G. H. Hibbert (solicitor, Mansfield), and now Mr. J. D. Fidler (appointed 1896).
Mr. Mc W. Bishop was Surveyor of Sutton parish from 1874 to 1904.
On the establishment of the old Local Board, the meetings were held at the late Mr. Thomas Riley's residence in Market Street, and afterwards in the Hardwick Street Schools. Then in 1880 they met in their present Offices in Outran) Street.
The first publication issued in Sutton by the late Mr. Charles Plumbe at the commencement of 1844 was the "Sherwood Gatherer," to which many well-known local literary men contributed. This was superseded in 1846 by the "Midland Gazette," the first newspaper in the County outside Nottingham. This was printed and published on the premises now owned by the Mansfield and Sutton Co-operative Society in the Market Place. The newspaper was continued until 1885, when it ceased to appear, Mr. Plumbe's printing business having been transferred to Mansfield in the previous year. The late Mr. Plumbe was also the author and publisher of a small volume of poems. The "Notts. Free Press" was established in 1886, its first publication being in an office at the rear of Mr. Buck's shop in Low Street. The "Mansfield Reporter and Sutton Times" also circulates largely in the parish.
The following' is a verbatim copy of what Thoroton, in his History of Nottinghamshire, says of Sutton-in-Ashfield:—
"This Sutune, with Hochenale Houthweit, and Skegeby, were Berues of the Sok of Maunsfield. which was King Edward the Confessor's land, and afterwards King William the Conqueror's. Gerard, Son of Walter de Sutton, gave to God and the Church of Saint Peter at Thurgaton, two bovats of land with his Mother, when she took the habit of religion, and the Church of the same town, his Brother Robert being converted to religion or dead.
Ranulph, Sheriff of Nottinghamshire, confirmed it for the soul of his Lord King Henry.
Jordan de Snitterton (Darbish), had some yearly Rents by the assignation of William de Ferrariis, sometime Earl of Derby, whereof there was an arrear which Robert de Marchnm and Sarah his wife (42nd Henry III.) by Fine released to Robert, Son of Harvey (viz., 40s.), and so did Gerard de Sutton in right of Alice, sometime his wife, which Sarah and Alice were Daughters and heirs of the said Jordan, Jordan Son of Gerard de Sutton, added some small parcels also to the Monastery of Thurgarton.
Sutton-in-Ashfield and Hucknall were a whole Villa, and not Gildable, being of the ancient demesne of the Crown, except some fourth part which Jordan of the same held of the King with the advowson of the Church.
The Jury in the 16th year of Edward I. found that Jordan de Sutton held in Derbyshire something in Snitterton of his own, in Matlock boll Peuerwich, of the inheritance of Amicia his Wife. In this Sutton he held one Mess and twelve bovats of land, and two bovats in Hothweit. for which he paid 14s. per annum to the King, and did Homage and Suit and Service to Maunsfield Court from three weeks to three weeks, and Suit in the King's Army in Wales for 40 days with one Man, Horse, Haubergeon, Cap of Iron, Lance and Sword; he likewise held ten acres where the Mill used to be set in Sutton Sthawe, and he had 21s. Rent in Sutton on Sore, and Bonnington, and 60s. and 6d. of the heirs of Hugh de Capella in Kirketon and Screveton, as in those places is said, John his Son and heir was then above 17 years of age.
About (83rd. Edward I.) John de Sutton died seized of the Manor and the third part of Snitterton, leaving John his Son and heir 16 years old, and mow John de Sutton (16th Edward II.) had license to alienate two parts of the Manor of Sutton upon Ashefeilde to John his Son and Amicia his Wife. The Jury (the 6th Edward III.) found it no loss if the King granted to John de Sutton of Ashefeilde, Clerk, that he might give 10J acres of waste in Sutton held of the King by 5s. and 3d. yearly to the Exchequer, to Robert de Henoure of Sutton and his heirs males; Remainder to Alianor Daughter of the said Robert and hers: Remainder to Beautrix her Sister and hers; Remainder to John, Son of John de Sutton and Avicia his Wife and the heirs males of the body of the said Avicia, for want whereof to revert to the said John de Sutton and his heirs.
Thomas de Mareslee purchased one mess: one bovat: and one acre of land, half an acre of Meadow with the appurtenances in Sutton-in-Ashefeilde, of Roger de Somervile, who bought them of John de Sutton. By a Fine (20th Edward III. K.) they were settled on Thomas de Mersey and Agnes his Wife during their lives, and afterwards on John de Montford and Maud his Wife and their heirs.
Roger Greenhaugh, Esquire, of Tiversholt, died 23rd January (5th Elizabeth) seized of this Manor; Elizabeth the Wife of Francis Molyneux, and Ann the Wife of Gervase Neville. Esquire, Daughters and Coheirs of Thomas Greenhalgh, Esquire. Son and heir of the said Roger being then his heirs.
There was a Recovery (14th Elizabeth), wherein Robert Rockley, Thomas Draxe. and Henry Neville, Esquire, claimed against Gervase Neville. Esquire, and Ann, his Wife, the Manor of Sutton-in-Ashfield and ten mess: ten cottages, twenty gardens, ten orchards, five hundred acres of land, two hundred of meadow, four hundred of pasture, twenty of wood, and twenty of furze and heath, with the appurtenances in Sutton-in-Ashfield, Clayworth, Beckingham, Hothwayt. and Selleston, and likewise the Manor of Rowthorne in Darbyshire.
And another Recovery (16th Elizabeth), wherein Nicholas Hardwick and Richard Eckingfield claimed against James Hardwick, Esquire, these lands in larger particulars, who called to warrant Gervase Neville and Anne, his Wife: this Manor remains the inheritance of the Rt. Hon. William Earl of Devonshire, who is the Son of Earl William, Son of Earl William Son of Elizabeth Countess of Shrewsbury, Sister of James Hardwick, Esquire.
In 1612, the Owners of Sutton-in-Ashfield are set down—William Lord Cavendish, Edward Langford. Thomas Clark, William Lyndley, of Skegby, Gent, and Edward Fitz-Randolph, Gent.
In the year 1328, the Church of Sutton-in-Ashfield yielded twenty marks yearly rent to the Priory of Thurgarton, and there then was half a caracut which then also was a mark rent, and the tithe of the Water Mill was then 5s., and John Fraunceyes paid for a toft 2s., which made the whole 7s. per annum.
Sutton has not only excelled in regard to its authors, singers, cricketers, etc., but upwards of a century ago it also gave birth to a son who, early in life, gave considerable promise of becoming a renowned scientist. We refer to the late Mr. Joseph Whitehead, who was born at Sutton-in-Ashfield in the year 1784, and died at his native place in 1811. From childhood, he showed signs of genius in Mathematics, and on attending a local seminary it was quickly apparent that he possessed superior knowledge in that science to his tutor. Later, he became a zealous student of Geometry, Trigonometry, Music, History, and Astronomy, in each of which subject he excelled. At one period of his life he was put to work the stocking-frame, but his mind was so engrossed in the solution of difficult scientific problems that he often spoilt the work that he was engaged in. When about 21 years of age, he resolved to make an Orrery after the plan of Ferguson. This was considered by his friends to be too difficult a task, as he had never seen one, having only read about them. Being without help of any kind, and no capital, he, at the outset, made his own machine with a dividing plate, so as to make four score wheels of different dimensions he required. After a toil of four years, during which time he had to overcome great difficulties, he completed his Orrery, and on submitting it to a Lecturer on Astronomy and a maker by profession of Orreries, he pronounced it to be the best he had ever seen. As a result of excessive study, and being attacked with a severe cold, he succumbed to consumption at the early age of 27 years, and was interred in the burial-ground attached to the Particular Baptist Chapel (now occupied by the Salvation Army) in Parliament Street. Deceased's Orrery was purchased by Dr. Williams for the Independent College, Rotherham, where it may still be seen.